Re: [pcgen] Re: Linux

  • Ross M. Lodge
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
      Quoting "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>:

      > I'm not sure what you mean 'installs'. PCGen comes compressed, and
      > its up to the user to uninstall it where they want.

      Sorry for not being clear. I meant to unzip twice ... into separate
      directories. My guess is that some options will be saved with system-specific
      paths (such as browser-path: C\:\\Program Files\\Internet
      Explorer\\iexplore.exe), and that the linux java would balk at the windows
      paths, and vice-versa.

      Ross
    • Devon Jones
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
        Ross M. Lodge wrote:

        >Quoting "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>:
        >

        >>I'm not sure what you mean 'installs'. PCGen comes compressed, and
        >>its up to the user to uninstall it where they want.
        >>

        > Sorry for not being clear. I meant to unzip twice ... into separate
        >directories. My guess is that some options will be saved with system-specific
        >paths (such as browser-path: C\:\\Program Files\\Internet
        >Explorer\\iexplore.exe), and that the linux java would balk at the windows
        >paths, and vice-versa.
        >
        >Ross

        actually, IIRC I made it so that so long as you use the default
        directories, it should work. the only part that won't work are the
        characters in the open recent menu. I did this specifically so you
        could have a pcgen that moved around (I run it off a USB Keychain drive)
        and run off multiple OSes

        Devon
      • Anestis Kozakis
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
          At 12:05 -0700 2004/07/01, Ross M. Lodge wrote:
          >Quoting "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>:
          >
          >> I'm not sure what you mean 'installs'. PCGen comes compressed, and
          >> its up to the user to uninstall it where they want.
          >
          > Sorry for not being clear. I meant to unzip twice ... into separate
          >directories. My guess is that some options will be saved with system-specific
          >paths (such as browser-path: C\:\\Program Files\\Internet
          >Explorer\\iexplore.exe), and that the linux java would balk at the windows
          >paths, and vice-versa.

          linux has the ability to mount windows partitions and read them.

          So there should be no problem mounting the windows partition. It
          just means the path will be different (something like:
          /win/Documents\ and\ Settings/Ross/PCGen\ Options/options.ini

          Of course, mounting a Linux partition under windows is an entirely
          different beast requiring lots of stuffing around, so not really
          worth doing it that way.

          As long as Linux knows where the options.ini file is, you should have
          no problems.

          >Ross

          Anestis.
          --
          Zeta: Yes it's chocolate. Chocolate hasn't changed.
          Ro: I know.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2004
            mtucker sez...

            'That's why the same code runs equally well under Windows, Mac OS, Sun
            Solaris, and a variety of other operating systems. ("well" is a relative term)'

            I contend that Java does not work well on *any* system, especially Mac. I
            also find the idea of having to upgrade your OS (when you've already got a
            version of OS10) to use PCGen very funny. I'll be sticking with Win98 and still
            getting Java updates for at least another 6 months.

            NotMousse
            TM, QA Tamarin, Made Emily Smirle laugh

            what's the point?

          • Kevin Brown
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2004
              > 'That's why the same code runs equally well under Windows, Mac OS, Sun
              > Solaris, and a variety of other operating systems. ("well" is a relative term)'
              >
              > I contend that Java does not work well on *any* system, especially Mac. I
              > also find the idea of having to upgrade your OS (when you've already got a
              > version of OS10) to use PCGen very funny. I'll be sticking with Win98 and still
              > getting Java updates for at least another 6 months.

              That has less to do with Java and more to do with the decision of Apple to not
              include updates of this nature into their older releases.