Re: Linux

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
      > I don't know this, but I would suggest having two pcgen installs,
      > one for linux and one for windows ... because the paths get into
      > the settings files, you'd probably have trouble switching back and
      > forth out of the same directory.

      I'm not sure what you mean 'installs'. PCGen comes compressed, and
      its up to the user to uninstall it where they want.

      Paul W. King
      TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
    • Ross M. Lodge
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
        Quoting "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>:

        > I'm not sure what you mean 'installs'. PCGen comes compressed, and
        > its up to the user to uninstall it where they want.

        Sorry for not being clear. I meant to unzip twice ... into separate
        directories. My guess is that some options will be saved with system-specific
        paths (such as browser-path: C\:\\Program Files\\Internet
        Explorer\\iexplore.exe), and that the linux java would balk at the windows
        paths, and vice-versa.

        Ross
      • Devon Jones
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
          Ross M. Lodge wrote:

          >Quoting "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>:
          >

          >>I'm not sure what you mean 'installs'. PCGen comes compressed, and
          >>its up to the user to uninstall it where they want.
          >>

          > Sorry for not being clear. I meant to unzip twice ... into separate
          >directories. My guess is that some options will be saved with system-specific
          >paths (such as browser-path: C\:\\Program Files\\Internet
          >Explorer\\iexplore.exe), and that the linux java would balk at the windows
          >paths, and vice-versa.
          >
          >Ross

          actually, IIRC I made it so that so long as you use the default
          directories, it should work. the only part that won't work are the
          characters in the open recent menu. I did this specifically so you
          could have a pcgen that moved around (I run it off a USB Keychain drive)
          and run off multiple OSes

          Devon
        • Anestis Kozakis
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
            At 12:05 -0700 2004/07/01, Ross M. Lodge wrote:
            >Quoting "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>:
            >
            >> I'm not sure what you mean 'installs'. PCGen comes compressed, and
            >> its up to the user to uninstall it where they want.
            >
            > Sorry for not being clear. I meant to unzip twice ... into separate
            >directories. My guess is that some options will be saved with system-specific
            >paths (such as browser-path: C\:\\Program Files\\Internet
            >Explorer\\iexplore.exe), and that the linux java would balk at the windows
            >paths, and vice-versa.

            linux has the ability to mount windows partitions and read them.

            So there should be no problem mounting the windows partition. It
            just means the path will be different (something like:
            /win/Documents\ and\ Settings/Ross/PCGen\ Options/options.ini

            Of course, mounting a Linux partition under windows is an entirely
            different beast requiring lots of stuffing around, so not really
            worth doing it that way.

            As long as Linux knows where the options.ini file is, you should have
            no problems.

            >Ross

            Anestis.
            --
            Zeta: Yes it's chocolate. Chocolate hasn't changed.
            Ro: I know.
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2004
              mtucker sez...

              'That's why the same code runs equally well under Windows, Mac OS, Sun
              Solaris, and a variety of other operating systems. ("well" is a relative term)'

              I contend that Java does not work well on *any* system, especially Mac. I
              also find the idea of having to upgrade your OS (when you've already got a
              version of OS10) to use PCGen very funny. I'll be sticking with Win98 and still
              getting Java updates for at least another 6 months.

              NotMousse
              TM, QA Tamarin, Made Emily Smirle laugh

              what's the point?

            • Kevin Brown
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2004
                > 'That's why the same code runs equally well under Windows, Mac OS, Sun
                > Solaris, and a variety of other operating systems. ("well" is a relative term)'
                >
                > I contend that Java does not work well on *any* system, especially Mac. I
                > also find the idea of having to upgrade your OS (when you've already got a
                > version of OS10) to use PCGen very funny. I'll be sticking with Win98 and still
                > getting Java updates for at least another 6 months.

                That has less to do with Java and more to do with the decision of Apple to not
                include updates of this nature into their older releases.