Linux

  • Michael P. Hopcroft
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
      I know this sounds like a weird question, but is there a version okf
      PCGen that will work in Linux.

      Not that I ahven;t had a lot of trobuel getting it to work in Windows,
      but if I'm going to have a dual-boot system with a Linux drive it would
      be nice to have a chargen tool on it.

      Michael Hopcroft
      Michael Hopcrfot Press
      http://www.mphpress.com
    • mtucker@airmail.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
        > I know this sounds like a weird question, but is there a version okf
        > PCGen that will work in Linux.
        >
        > Not that I ahven;t had a lot of trobuel getting it to work in Windows,
        > but if I'm going to have a dual-boot system with a Linux drive it would
        > be nice to have a chargen tool on it.
        >
        > Michael Hopcroft
        > Michael Hopcrfot Press
        > http://www.mphpress.com

        Not a weird question, but (once you know the essential fact), a slightly
        silly one.

        The essential fact: PCGen is written in Java, hence it will run on *any*
        platform that has a compatible Java Run-time Environment (JRE). That's why
        the same code runs equally well under Windows, Mac OS, Sun Solaris, and a
        variety of other operating systems. ("well" is a relative term) ;-)

        Java has been ported to a large number of Linux varieties. You didn't say
        which one you are running, but you might start at your Linux command line
        with the following command:

        # java -version

        If java is installed on your machine (many Linux versions have Java
        bundled), and if that version is at least 1.4.something, you are in
        business.

        Otherwise, go to either a) your Linux distro site, or b) Sun
        (java.sun.com). Locate the JRE for your version of Linux, download and
        install it. Any problems, feel free to ask back here for help.

        Yours,
        Michael
      • Ross M. Lodge
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
          Quoting mtucker@...:

          > The essential fact: PCGen is written in Java, hence it will run on *any*
          > platform that has a compatible Java Run-time Environment (JRE). That's why
          > the same code runs equally well under Windows, Mac OS, Sun Solaris, and a
          > variety of other operating systems. ("well" is a relative term) ;-)

          I don't know this, but I would suggest having two pcgen installs, one for
          linux and one for windows ... because the paths get into the settings files,
          you'd probably have trouble switching back and forth out of the same directory.

          Ross
        • Paul W. King
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
            > I don't know this, but I would suggest having two pcgen installs,
            > one for linux and one for windows ... because the paths get into
            > the settings files, you'd probably have trouble switching back and
            > forth out of the same directory.

            I'm not sure what you mean 'installs'. PCGen comes compressed, and
            its up to the user to uninstall it where they want.

            Paul W. King
            TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
          • Ross M. Lodge
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
              Quoting "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>:

              > I'm not sure what you mean 'installs'. PCGen comes compressed, and
              > its up to the user to uninstall it where they want.

              Sorry for not being clear. I meant to unzip twice ... into separate
              directories. My guess is that some options will be saved with system-specific
              paths (such as browser-path: C\:\\Program Files\\Internet
              Explorer\\iexplore.exe), and that the linux java would balk at the windows
              paths, and vice-versa.

              Ross
            • Devon Jones
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
                Ross M. Lodge wrote:

                >Quoting "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>:
                >

                >>I'm not sure what you mean 'installs'. PCGen comes compressed, and
                >>its up to the user to uninstall it where they want.
                >>

                > Sorry for not being clear. I meant to unzip twice ... into separate
                >directories. My guess is that some options will be saved with system-specific
                >paths (such as browser-path: C\:\\Program Files\\Internet
                >Explorer\\iexplore.exe), and that the linux java would balk at the windows
                >paths, and vice-versa.
                >
                >Ross

                actually, IIRC I made it so that so long as you use the default
                directories, it should work. the only part that won't work are the
                characters in the open recent menu. I did this specifically so you
                could have a pcgen that moved around (I run it off a USB Keychain drive)
                and run off multiple OSes

                Devon
              • Anestis Kozakis
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
                  At 12:05 -0700 2004/07/01, Ross M. Lodge wrote:
                  >Quoting "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>:
                  >
                  >> I'm not sure what you mean 'installs'. PCGen comes compressed, and
                  >> its up to the user to uninstall it where they want.
                  >
                  > Sorry for not being clear. I meant to unzip twice ... into separate
                  >directories. My guess is that some options will be saved with system-specific
                  >paths (such as browser-path: C\:\\Program Files\\Internet
                  >Explorer\\iexplore.exe), and that the linux java would balk at the windows
                  >paths, and vice-versa.

                  linux has the ability to mount windows partitions and read them.

                  So there should be no problem mounting the windows partition. It
                  just means the path will be different (something like:
                  /win/Documents\ and\ Settings/Ross/PCGen\ Options/options.ini

                  Of course, mounting a Linux partition under windows is an entirely
                  different beast requiring lots of stuffing around, so not really
                  worth doing it that way.

                  As long as Linux knows where the options.ini file is, you should have
                  no problems.

                  >Ross

                  Anestis.
                  --
                  Zeta: Yes it's chocolate. Chocolate hasn't changed.
                  Ro: I know.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2004
                    mtucker sez...

                    'That's why the same code runs equally well under Windows, Mac OS, Sun
                    Solaris, and a variety of other operating systems. ("well" is a relative term)'

                    I contend that Java does not work well on *any* system, especially Mac. I
                    also find the idea of having to upgrade your OS (when you've already got a
                    version of OS10) to use PCGen very funny. I'll be sticking with Win98 and still
                    getting Java updates for at least another 6 months.

                    NotMousse
                    TM, QA Tamarin, Made Emily Smirle laugh

                    what's the point?

                  • Kevin Brown
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3, 2004
                      > 'That's why the same code runs equally well under Windows, Mac OS, Sun
                      > Solaris, and a variety of other operating systems. ("well" is a relative term)'
                      >
                      > I contend that Java does not work well on *any* system, especially Mac. I
                      > also find the idea of having to upgrade your OS (when you've already got a
                      > version of OS10) to use PCGen very funny. I'll be sticking with Win98 and still
                      > getting Java updates for at least another 6 months.

                      That has less to do with Java and more to do with the decision of Apple to not
                      include updates of this nature into their older releases.