Re: [pcgen] Re: How to uninstall GMGen from PCGen?

  • Dominic Amann
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2004
      notyetmousse24@... wrote:

      >'Thanks for taking the time to reply, in any case. Despite your "troll"
      >regarding Macs, I do appreciate the feedback.'
      >
      >Troll nothing, I'm an asshole. You just happen to be running one of the
      >things I've tried and have full confidence is garbage. When Windows starts
      >crashing on boot, crashing when I try to run 3 programs, or being lauded as a
      >*stable* environment I'll be just as nasty to Windows users.

      I have used PCs since my first in 1985, and I have nothing but envy for
      Macs. I have worked with OS/X, and aside from price it is the best thing
      since sliced bread, and I have never seen a mac die on boot with other
      than bad drivers installed (and there is still a "safe-boot" (windows
      name) option that lets you go in and fix things).

      <lecture>
      This _is_ a religious debate. You were being a troll. There is a memory
      problem, _even_ in :

      Java version "1.4.2"
      Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2-b28)
      Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-b28, mixed mode)

      running under Linux no less. I actually had my pcgen crash my browser
      ('cause my browser was hosting some Java, and it went down in sympathy).
      My memory allocation peeked at around 512MB, which IMO is too much for a
      relatively simple application. Some string is being allocated too much
      or too often. I am sure that there are many people who come here,
      download the thing, have it blow up a couple of times, and wander off
      _without_ ever telling anyone. There is an adage about consumer
      complaints that says one letter writer = 100 silent complainer, so if
      you /are/ in quality assurance, you had perhaps be a little shy of
      blaming the customer.

      >BTW my decade old system is a 100mhz 32mb RAM Pentium 1, which runs PCGen
      >just fine aside from the slow nature of this beast.

      Bearing in mind that Sun has had (due to market reasons) to make Java
      work on Windows, even in spite of flawed application code, it is not
      unlikely that an application will appear to work in Windows and fail in
      other environments. If one is developing in a "multi-platform" language,
      it is advisable to test on the other platforms. If that is beyond one's
      means, then be very nice to people who are helping you test it on other
      platforms.
      </lecture>

      --
      Dominic Amann, Linux Based Solutions Ltd., <http://www.lbs.ca/>