RE: [pcgen] What Happened?!

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 27, 2004
      What are you talking about? There is quite a bit of new functionality in
      PCGen since 2.5. If, however, you are referring to the non-open datasets
      that were included back at that time (Star Wars, splat books, etc), yes they
      have been removed. As I stated, they are not open books, and we do not have
      permission from the IP holder to release datasets for them.

      Paul W. King

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 27, 2004
        In a message dated 6/27/2004 9:36:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        paulking.rhochi@... writes:

        > What are you talking about? There is quite a bit of new functionality in
        > PCGen since 2.5. If, however, you are referring to the non-open datasets
        > that were included back at that time (Star Wars, splat books, etc), yes they
        > have been removed. As I stated, they are not open books, and we do not have
        > permission from the IP holder to release datasets for them.
        >
        > Paul W. King
        > OGL SB, PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, TM Lemur, BoD

        New functionality, I agree. Content is hurting. Yes, I'm referring to the
        non-open datasets that were included. You say they are non-open datasets.
        Does that mean that they are able to be purchased to make the new PCGen as good
        as the old 2.5? Oh, AND D&D 3.5 compliant, as well?

      • Eric Beaudoin
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 27, 2004
          At 21:51 2004.06.27, rbloom0566@... wrote:
          >From: rbloom0566@...
          >
          >In a message dated 6/27/2004 9:36:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          >paulking.rhochi@... writes:
          >
          >> What are you talking about? There is quite a bit of new functionality in
          >> PCGen since 2.5. If, however, you are referring to ...
          >...snip...
          >> permission from the IP holder to release datasets for them.
          >>
          >> Paul W. King
          >> OGL SB, PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, TM Lemur, BoD
          >
          >New functionality, I agree. Content is hurting. Yes, I'm referring to the
          >non-open datasets that were included. You say they are non-open datasets.
          >Does that mean that they are able to be purchased to make the new PCGen as good
          >as the old 2.5? Oh, AND D&D 3.5 compliant, as well?

          PCGEN is already 3.5 compliant as of version 5.6.1 which include the Revised SRD. You can purchase the close WotC sources from Code Monkey Publishing. I don't have the URI but you should be able to Google it.

          Best

          √Čric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin (hiding in the trench)
          >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
          <mailto:beaudoer@...>
        • Paul W. King
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 27, 2004
            PCGen, the version this site is devoted to, includes open game content
            material. Many of WotC's core mechanics have been opened up in the form the
            of Reference Documents. 3.0 was the System Reference Document; 3.5 in the
            Revised System Reference Document (
            http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35 ); and d20 Modern in
            the Modern Reference Document (
            http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd ). There are 3
            different game modes to support these (3e, 35e and Modern).

            Now, the WotC only IP sets are available at Code Monkey Publishing (
            http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/ ) for a cost. CMP is looking at the
            other stuff (SW, CoC, WoT, etc), but those sets would involve parties other
            than WotC.

            Does that help?

            Paul W. King

            New functionality, I agree. Content is hurting. Yes, I'm referring to the
            non-open datasets that were included. You say they are non-open datasets.
            Does that mean that they are able to be purchased to make the new PCGen as
            good
            as the old 2.5? Oh, AND D&D 3.5 compliant, as well?
          • Darion Shadowkeeper
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 27, 2004
              > > What are you talking about? There is quite a bit of new functionality in
              > > PCGen since 2.5. If, however, you are referring to the non-open datasets
              > > that were included back at that time (Star Wars, splat books, etc), yes
              > they
              > > have been removed. As I stated, they are not open books, and we do not have
              > > permission from the IP holder to release datasets for them.
              > >
              > > Paul W. King
              > > OGL SB, PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, TM Lemur, BoD
              > >

              >New functionality, I agree. Content is hurting. Yes, I'm referring to the
              >non-open datasets that were included. You say they are non-open datasets.
              >Does that mean that they are able to be purchased to make the new PCGen as
              >good
              >as the old 2.5? Oh, AND D&D 3.5 compliant, as well?

              No in the case of Star Wars d20 at least, nobody seems to have the rights
              or the willingness (on behalf of copyright holder) to produce it.

              And what do you mean by 3.5 compliant exactly? The RSRD has been included
              since at least 2.6
            • rbloom0566@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 27, 2004
                In a message dated 6/27/2004 10:04:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                beaudoer@... writes:

                > PCGEN is already 3.5 compliant as of version 5.6.1 which include the
                > Revised SRD. You can purchase the close WotC sources from Code Monkey Publishing. I
                > don't have the URI but you should be able to Google it.

                Then maybe I'm not working it right. All I was able to do was pull up a
                web-site that contained the OGL. That required me having my browser open.
                I never had to do that with the old one.

              • Paul W. King
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 27, 2004
                  Do you recall what you did to get the website to come up? I don't recall a
                  link in PCGen sending you to the OGL page. Or are you referring the OGL
                  pop-up that occurs when you load datasets?

                  Paul W. King

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 27, 2004
                    In a message dated 6/27/2004 10:42:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    paulking.rhochi@... writes:

                    > Do you recall what you did to get the website to come up? I don't recall a
                    > link in PCGen sending you to the OGL page. Or are you referring the OGL
                    > pop-up that occurs when you load datasets?
                    >
                    > Paul W. King
                    > OGL SB, PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, TM Lemur, BoD

                    Well, it may have something to do with my default browser settings. I was
                    having trouble previewing characters in my browser and I thought it would be
                    smart to make sure my default browser settings were correct. Let's just say I'm
                    not sure I didn't hose something up there.

                    And since I tried "correcting" my browser settings, everything shows up as a
                    website to load if I'm not mistaken.

                    The Site for Awesome Dice - The Crystal Caste. Visit Crystal Caste:
                    www.crystalcaste.com/

                    The Site for Buying all your Hard-to-Find Gaming Items - E-Bay. Visit E-Bay:
                    http://www.ebay.com/

                  • rbloom0566@AOL.COM
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 27, 2004
                      In a message dated 6/27/2004 10:52:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      paulking.rhochi@... writes:

                      > Now, the WotC only IP sets are available at Code Monkey Publishing (
                      > http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/ ) for a cost. CMP is looking at the
                      > other stuff (SW, CoC, WoT, etc), but those sets would involve parties other
                      > than WotC.
                      >
                      > Does that help?

                      That helps.