Re: Basic Installation

  • ovka
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5 2:14 PM
      > I can't get by the first part written in the DOC files. When I
      > enter java -version at the DOS Command prompt I get Java is not a
      > recognized command ect. ect. So naturally I thought Java was not
      > installed. I followed the handy provided links to download and
      > install Java 1.4.2 but when I went back to the command prompt after
      > installing and rebooting I got the same message.

      This happens when you system can't find the java executable. Do a
      search on your system for the java.exe file. In my directory it is
      in the C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\bin directory. Then change the
      pcgen.bat file so that it reads

      "drive_letter:\path_to_your_java_executable\java" -version
      "drive_letter:\path_to_your_java_executable\java" -jar pcgen.jar

      In my case, given the directory where I found the java.exe file, I
      would change the pcgen.bat file to be

      "C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\bin\java" -version
      "C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\bin\java" -jar pcgen.jar

      The quotation marks are important because the directory structure
      contains a space. If yours doesn't, you can safely leave them out.

      Good Luck,

      Sir George Anonymous