Re: [BUG?][OS][5.6.1] PCGen hangs on PDF export

  • notyetmousse24@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
      mtucker sez...

      'Howdy:'

      Ditto.

      'I'm running Mac OS X 10.2.8 on a 400 MHz G3 PowerBook with 512 MB RAM.'

      Think I've found your problem. Aside from being a Mac, it's also running OS
      X which many versions of don't support the version of Java that PCGen is being
      (has been?) converted to (1.4.2 if memory serves).

      'Until recently I've been happily using PCGen 5.5.3. I'm trying to "get with
      the program", and have downloaded the latest production (5.6.1) version.'

      The easiest thing to do (aside from rummaging around a used comp shop and
      getting a real PC), is to either go back to the older version of PCGen, or try
      and get your Mac to play nice with a newer version of Java.

      NotMousse
      TM, QA Tamarin, Made Emily Smirle laugh

      what's the point?

    • mtucker@airmail.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
        NotMousse wrote:
        > 'I'm running Mac OS X 10.2.8 on a 400 MHz G3 PowerBook with 512 MB RAM.'
        >
        > Think I've found your problem. Aside from being a Mac, it's also running
        > OS
        > X which many versions of don't support the version of Java that PCGen is
        > being
        > (has been?) converted to (1.4.2 if memory serves).

        Thanks for the suggestion, but 10.2.8 is the latest version of OS X,
        running the latest version of Java. If you'd read the rest of the message
        you would have seen the output from a "java -version" command in the text.
        I'm running Java 1.4.

        Any other ideas? Memory usage, maybe?

        Michael
      • mtucker@airmail.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
          Replying to myself, before someone else points out my error...

          I wrote in response to NotMousse:
          > Thanks for the suggestion, but 10.2.8 is the latest version of OS X,
          > running the latest version of Java. If you'd read the rest of the message
          > you would have seen the output from a "java -version" command in the text.
          > I'm running Java 1.4.

          That's not quite true. OS X 10.3.4 is the latest version of the Mac
          operating system. However, 10.2.8 is the latest "pre-Panther" version, and
          it *does*, in fact, run Java 1.4.

          Besides, I would be surprised to find that a difference between Java 1.3
          versus Java 1.4 was the culprit behind hanging the PCGen process when
          attempting a PDF export. If there were any such problems, I would expect
          them to manifest elsewhere in the code.

          In any case: I'm still puzzled over this problem. I'm wondering if it's an
          "out of memory" error (or something similar) that's being masked by the
          fact the process hangs immediately (without getting a chance to output
          anything useful to the console).

          Michael
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
            > In any case: I'm still puzzled over this problem. I'm wondering if
            > it's an "out of memory" error (or something similar) that's being
            > masked by the fact the process hangs immediately (without getting a
            > chance to output anything useful to the console).

            It shouldn't be java 1.4... 5.6 and 5.6.1 should only be using valid
            1.3 java. :)

            But, that aside, could you send me the .PCG that's locking things up
            when you export Michael? While I don't have/use a Mac, I'd be
            interested to see if the lockup is on mac only or if it's something
            else.

            It seems I had a problem like this at one point and I don't remember
            what it was that caused it. :(

            Just a couple of quick questions... I'm at work using webmail and your
            original mail is gone from my ISP server, so pardon me if you already
            answered these questions in your first post.

            Is this from a fresh/clean install?

            If not, when you installed did your unzip util overwrite existing
            files, most importantly the ones in the LIB and OUTPUTSHEET directories?

            Is it any PDF print job, or just certain characters? .xslt or .fo
            templates? (I can't remember when we stripped the .fo from the
            distro...)

            Barak
          • mtucker@airmail.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
              Hi, Barak:

              Thanks for your reply. :-)

              [Barak]
              > But, that aside, could you send me the .PCG that's locking things up
              > when you export Michael? While I don't have/use a Mac, I'd be
              > interested to see if the lockup is on mac only or if it's something
              > else.
              >
              > It seems I had a problem like this at one point and I don't remember
              > what it was that caused it. :(

              I'll be happy to when I get home tonight. Like you, I'm using webmail from
              work, and don't have the character files with me.

              > Just a couple of quick questions... I'm at work using webmail and your
              > original mail is gone from my ISP server, so pardon me if you already
              > answered these questions in your first post.
              >
              > Is this from a fresh/clean install?

              Yes. Recent download of 5.6.1 (right after it was put in the download
              area), installed to its own directory. The CMP core rules, splatbooks, and
              Forgotten Realms datasets are also installed (unzipped to that directory,
              not copied from elsewhere; i.e. a "clean" install).

              > Is it any PDF print job, or just certain characters? .xslt or .fo
              > templates? (I can't remember when we stripped the .fo from the
              > distro...)
              >
              > Barak

              I first saw the problem with my existing character, imported from 5.5.3.
              It would not export to PDF at all. But I wasn't sure what the problem was,
              because I'm using the RSRD, the CMP splatbook datasets, and some house
              rules.

              To eliminate variables, I exited PCGen, relaunched and loaded *only* the
              RSRD. Then I created a new character from scratch. (Fairly simple, an elf
              with a few levels of fighter and paladin, and minimal feats, skills and
              equipment.) At 1st level, it exported ok. Then I ran it up to 6th level,
              and the problem showed up. I don't know whether it would have showed up
              before that. As I said previously, I had already invested 2-3 hours trying
              to debug this. I didn't want to invest any more until I had asked the
              group whether this was a known problem.

              The problem shows up whether using the CMP .fo output sheet, or the
              bundled .xslt output sheets. The behavior is the same either way. If I
              load this "virgin" character and export it immediately (with no changes),
              it works ok. If I make any changes that mark the character as "dirty",
              then (whether I save first or not) try to export it to PDF, PCGen locks up
              immediately.

              The only difference between this and my imported character is that the
              imported character locks up PCGen regardless. I have been unable to export
              it to PDF, no matter what I try.

              Michael

              p.s. performance with 5.6.1 is a *dog* compared to 5.5.3. Just selecting
              the Equipping tab, I might as well go get a cup of coffee. Something
              related to equipment is beating the h*ll out of the CPU. This is with all
              the default settings, i.e. no equipment is being auto-generated. I suspect
              that whatever is doing this, is also consuming memory. I further suspect
              that this is an out-of-memory problem, since presumably more memory is
              consumed by a "dirty" character than a clean one, and presumably more
              memory is consumed by the PDF exporter than the HTML one. However, this is
              on Mac OS X (which is actually BDS Unix under the hood), with 512 MB of
              RAM; I wouldn't expect memory to be an issue, unless there's a problem
              with the software.
            • Darkon
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
                > Replying to myself, before someone else points out my error...
                >
                > I wrote in response to NotMousse:
                > > Thanks for the suggestion, but 10.2.8 is the latest version of
                OS X,
                > > running the latest version of Java. If you'd read the rest of
                the message
                > > you would have seen the output from a "java -version" command in
                the text.
                > > I'm running Java 1.4.
                >
                > That's not quite true. OS X 10.3.4 is the latest version of the Mac
                > operating system. However, 10.2.8 is the latest "pre-Panther"
                version, and
                > it *does*, in fact, run Java 1.4.
                >
                > Besides, I would be surprised to find that a difference between
                Java 1.3
                > versus Java 1.4 was the culprit behind hanging the PCGen process
                when
                > attempting a PDF export. If there were any such problems, I would
                expect
                > them to manifest elsewhere in the code.
                >
                > In any case: I'm still puzzled over this problem. I'm wondering if
                it's an
                > "out of memory" error (or something similar) that's being masked
                by the
                > fact the process hangs immediately (without getting a chance to
                output
                > anything useful to the console).

                I've also ran into an out of memory error when exporting to PDF with
                two characters. I managed to get one to work by reducing the length
                of the SPROP of her weapon to fit within one line on the forst
                page's SPROP line. I haven't figured out what causes the problem on
                the other character is yet.
              • notyetmousse24@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 4, 2004
                  mtucker sez...

                  'Thanks for the suggestion, but 10.2.8 is the latest version of OS X, running
                  the latest version of Java.'

                  But it's still a Mac. So the easiest solution is to convert to a better
                  supported OS (Linux, DOS or something along those lines).

                  'Any other ideas? Memory usage, maybe?'

                  Memory has been an issue, but if memory serves (did *not* mean to pun here)
                  the symptoms are nothing like what you're suffering. But in case that *does*
                  somehow happen to be the problem just set it to use more memory. Someone else
                  posted the details yesterday so just look back.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 4, 2004
                    mtucker sez...

                    'Replying to myself, before someone else points out my error...'

                    Reminds me to read all posts before replying to them.

                    'I wrote in response to NotMousse:'

                    And I replied, but here I am replying again... awkward...

                    'However, 10.2.8 is the latest "pre-Panther" version, and it *does*, in fact,
                    run Java 1.4.'

                    But does it run Java 1.4.2?

                    'Besides, I would be surprised to find that a difference between Java 1.3
                    versus Java 1.4 was the culprit behind hanging the PCGen process when attempting
                    a PDF export.'

                    Actually this is exactly why there was so much debate about changing between
                    one and another. Some things that work with 1.4.2 most certainly do not in
                    prior versions, which can cause some obscenely nasty things to happen.

                    Overall my advice remains the same, but I suggest upgrading to the currently
                    uber-expensive line that Jobs is pimping out.

                    NotMousse
                    TM, QA Tamarin, Made Emily Smirle laugh

                    what's the point?

                  • Michael Tucker
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 4, 2004
                      On Friday, June 4, 2004, at 04:37 AM, notyetmousse24@... wrote:

                      > mtucker sez...
                      >
                      > 'Thanks for the suggestion, but 10.2.8 is the latest version of OS X,
                      > running
                      > the latest version of Java.'
                      >
                      > But it's still a Mac. So the easiest solution is to convert to a
                      > better
                      > supported OS (Linux, DOS or something along those lines).

                      <sarcasm>
                      Oh, you're right. Of course. Why didn't I think of that. The obvious,
                      easiest solution to getting PCGen to run on my Mac is to set up an
                      Intel box running Linux.
                      </sarcasm>

                      Seriously, I disagree. I've been using PCGen quite happily and well for
                      a long time. There's something wrong with this release of PCGen. It may
                      be subtle, and it may not be affecting that many users. But the problem
                      lies in PCGen, not in my computer.

                      On Friday, June 4, 2004, at 04:47 AM, notyetmousse24@... wrote:

                      > 'However, 10.2.8 is the latest "pre-Panther" version, and it *does*,
                      > in fact,
                      > run Java 1.4.'
                      >
                      > But does it run Java 1.4.2?

                      I posted this previously, but again for your convenience:

                      % java -version
                      java version "1.4.1_01"
                      Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-69.1)
                      Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-24, mixed mode)

                      So, the answer is: no, I'm not running Java 1.4.2. Perhaps Panther (Mac
                      OS 10.3.4) has Java 1.4.2.

                      But the only thing that's changed between "happy, joy!", and "woe!"
                      regarding my PCGen experience was upgrading from 5.5.3 ("happy, joy!")
                      to 5.6.1 complete w/GMGen ("woe!"). I think that this weekend I will
                      download the limited version of 5.6.1 (without GMGen) and see if that
                      makes a difference in the memory footprint.

                      By the way, last night I invested another 2 hours fiddling with this,
                      and it *is* definitely a memory footprint issue. By increasing the size
                      of my Java environment, as follows ...

                      % java -Xms128M -Xmx256M -jar pcgen.jar

                      ... I was able to export my moderately complex character from 5.5.3.
                      [Note that this is 2-4 times the default allocation for Java (64M),
                      which has worked for me for previous versions. I.e., I've never had to
                      explicitly increase the memory allocation for Java before, to use
                      PCGen. So this version (5.6.1) is demanding at least *twice* the memory
                      of a recent previous release (5.5.3).]

                      However, curiously, I achieved success with Debug mode turned on.
                      Here's what I tried, and what worked:

                      a) java with extra memory - failed
                      b) debug mode - failed
                      c) java with extra memory AND debug mode - success

                      Curious, eh? But now it's definitely identified as a memory footprint
                      problem, and nothing else. [Strangely, the memory problem is masked (or
                      avoided) with Debug mode on. I would think that Debug would use *more*
                      memory, not less; but software behavior isn't always intuitive.]

                      By the way, the painfully slow performance problem also went away when
                      I increased the memory allocation for Java. I suspect that all these
                      other strange sporadic reports of "5.6.1 is a dog!" from other users,
                      are actually page-swapping problems due to the excessive memory
                      requirements of this release. Thus, the *real* solution is for the
                      developers to identify what changed in 5.6.1 (compared to previous
                      releases) such that it's suddenly gobbling up memory, and fix that. I
                      suggest looking into the "Equipment tab" area of the code, as that
                      seems to take the longest to load.

                      Michael
                    • notyetmousse24@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 5, 2004
                        mtucker sez...

                        'The obvious, easiest solution to getting PCGen to run on my Mac is to set up
                        an Intel box running Linux.'

                        I was actually thinking of ditching the Mac completely as it's apparently
                        being out performed by a PC from roughly a decade ago. then again I've never
                        used a Mac I could stand (by stand I mean didn't bomb within a day).

                        'But the problem lies in PCGen, not in my computer.'

                        You may be right, and as it seems to be the case I'll make sure there's a
                        tracker (FREQ unless is affects more people) that says something along the lines
                        of 'optimize it already damn!'

                        'So, the answer is: no, I'm not running Java 1.4.2.'

                        Which was my point the whole time. While I'm not completely positive PCGen
                        demands this I understand that running the latest often solves problems
                        suffered by the less L33T among us (self included).

                        'I was able to export my moderately complex character from 5.5.3.'

                        Hmm... While I admit I don't export via PDF (never liked the format), I
                        hadn't noticed any significant slowdown when exporting via HTML.

                        'By the way, the painfully slow performance problem also went away when I
                        increased the memory allocation for Java.'

                        True, adding memory keeps it from collecting 'garbage' so often which is the
                        majority of the slowdown anyone will face with the program. Been this way for
                        at least the last few releases I can recall.

                        'I suggest looking into the "Equipment tab" area of the code, as that seems
                        to take the longest to load.'

                        This I did notice taking awhile, but as I hadn't experimented with it
                        previously had just assumed equipment to be one of the less well developed areas.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 5, 2004
                          On Saturday, June 5, 2004, at 04:26 AM, notyetmousse24@... wrote:

                          > mtucker sez...
                          >
                          > 'The obvious, easiest solution to getting PCGen to run on my Mac is to
                          > set up
                          > an Intel box running Linux.'
                          >
                          > I was actually thinking of ditching the Mac completely as it's
                          > apparently
                          > being out performed by a PC from roughly a decade ago. then again
                          > I've never
                          > used a Mac I could stand (by stand I mean didn't bomb within a day).

                          Strangely enough, I feel the same about PCs as you seem to feel about
                          Macs. If you want to start picking on platforms, Windows is certainly a
                          "target-rich environment".

                          Call it a personal preference (which is shared with me by several
                          million people), and let it go at that. I really don't think a
                          "religious debate" about platforms has any place here on the PCGen
                          discussion board. PCGen is written in Java, to be platform-neutral.
                          Java is fully supported by Mac OS X. Let it go.

                          > 'But the problem lies in PCGen, not in my computer.'
                          >
                          > You may be right, and as it seems to be the case I'll make sure
                          > there's a
                          > tracker (FREQ unless is affects more people) that says something along
                          > the lines
                          > of 'optimize it already damn!'

                          You apparently aren't "getting" the issue I'm trying to point out here.
                          This isn't about "optimizing performance", it's about fixing runaway
                          memory consumption.

                          PCGen's memory requirements have at least doubled from 5.5.3 to 5.6.1.
                          To make matters worse, evidently the part of the code that manages PDF
                          exports does not throw an "out of memory" exception; the process just
                          silently locks up. I'm guessing that FOP (or maybe the code that calls
                          FOP) isn't as good about throwing exceptions (let alone handling them)
                          as it ought to be.

                          > 'So, the answer is: no, I'm not running Java 1.4.2.'
                          >
                          > Which was my point the whole time. While I'm not completely positive
                          > PCGen
                          > demands this I understand that running the latest often solves problems
                          > suffered by the less L33T among us (self included).

                          Running the latest has been pointed out repeatedly on this board as
                          often being the *source* of problems, not their cure. Many has been the
                          time when someone complained that their latest beta version of the JRE
                          crashed when running PCGen. The solution was to downgrade to an
                          earlier, stable version of the JRE.

                          Regardless, Java 1.4.1 ran PCGen 5.5.3 just fine. It also runs PCGen
                          5.6.1 just fine, but only if I'm very, very careful about how much
                          memory PCGen is given and induced to consume. The version of Java is
                          therefore obviously a non-issue (especially since I'm not running
                          GMGen).

                          Please step away from that issue; nothing to be seen there.

                          > 'I was able to export my moderately complex character from 5.5.3.'
                          >
                          > Hmm... While I admit I don't export via PDF (never liked the format),
                          > hadn't noticed any significant slowdown when exporting via HTML.

                          Nor had I. HTML outputs run fine, as I said in my post.

                          By the way, you're missing out on some truly beautiful output sheets,
                          if you aren't using the PDF sheets. The latest color PDF sheets are
                          works of art. :-)

                          > 'By the way, the painfully slow performance problem also went away
                          > when I
                          > increased the memory allocation for Java.'
                          >
                          > True, adding memory keeps it from collecting 'garbage' so often which
                          > is the
                          > majority of the slowdown anyone will face with the program. Been this
                          > way for
                          > at least the last few releases I can recall.

                          Which begs the point I'm trying to make, which is the excessive memory
                          demands of PCGen 5.6.1 in the first place. *That* is the problem that
                          needs fixing.

                          > 'I suggest looking into the "Equipment tab" area of the code, as that
                          > seems
                          > to take the longest to load.'
                          >
                          > This I did notice taking awhile, but as I hadn't experimented with it
                          > previously had just assumed equipment to be one of the less well
                          > developed areas.
                          >
                          > NotMousse
                          > TM, QA Tamarin, Made Emily Smirle laugh

                          Thanks for taking the time to reply, in any case. Despite your "troll"
                          regarding Macs, I do appreciate the feedback.

                          Bryan, Barak, if you're reading this and have made it this far: I'm
                          still trying to debug this, but I'm not making much progress. It's hard
                          when the process just locks up tight without any messages to the
                          console. HTML output works. PDF does sometimes, if I hold my mouth just
                          right; but usually it just locks up the moment I click "Save". I
                          suspect, at this point, that it dies when it tries to call FOP (but
                          without throwing an exception, at least not one that makes it to the
                          console).

                          Michael