Re: [pcgen] Re: Error message in Java

  • Frugal
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
      <quote who="merton_monk">
      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jbiehl@k...> wrote:
      >> I am receive the following error message in Java (java version
      >> 1.4.2_04, java(tm) 2 runtime environment, standard edition (built
      >> 1.4.2_04-b05))
      >>
      >> java.lang.outofmemoryerror
      >>
      >> Is there a way to fix this I am also running PCGEN 5.6.1? I keep
      >> having to save after every action and restart the program all the
      >> time.
      >
      > You're running out of memory. Standard steps are:
      > 1. buy more memory! Short of that you can...

      Be careful here, I run PCGen on a machine with 1G of RAM and I can still
      get the outOfMemory error message.

      Java is designed so that it can not consume all of the resources on a
      machine, so it has it's own memory limits. By default the memory limit for
      a 1.4 java application is 64Mb. So even if you have 4Gb of RAM PCGen will
      only use 64Mb by default.

      > 2. reduce the number of books you're loading in PCGen (load just the
      > ones you intend to actually use for your character)
      > 3. don't run anything else while you're running PCGen
      > 4. there is a comment in the file pcgen.bat - I think if you remove
      > the comment and run pcgen.bat it will run PCGen with more available
      > memory. I believe this was part of the 5.6.1 release, but it's only
      > useful if you have enough memory, and I don't recall right off how
      > much that was.

      The flag is "-Xmx256M" where "256M" indicates that Java should use at most
      256M of memory. In general you would not want to set this value to any
      more than about 75% of your real memory size (garbage collected languages
      like java do not know about which of your memory is real and which is
      virtual so the garbage collector slows right down if it has to swap items
      in first in order to check if they are still used ;O)

      I tend to run most java apps with "-Xmx384M" but that is because I have a
      development machine with a lot of memory.

      --
      regards,
      Frugal