Basic Installation

  • Russell Keller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2004
      Greetings All,

      I'm pretty excited about what I read about this PCGen program ban't
      figure out the installation for the life of me.

      I can't get by the first part written in the DOC files. When I
      enter java -version at the DOS Command prompt I get Java is not a
      recognized command ect. ect. So naturally I thought Java was not
      installed. I followed the handy provided links to download and
      install Java 1.4.2 but when I went back to the command prompt after
      installing and rebooting I got the same message. I thought well
      maybe i was doing something wrong at the command prompt so I double
      clicked the pcgen.bat file but got the same message (took a few
      tries with a screen capture it goes by fast.)
      What am I doing wrong?

      Thanks for any Help
      Russ
    • ovka
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2004
        > I can't get by the first part written in the DOC files. When I
        > enter java -version at the DOS Command prompt I get Java is not a
        > recognized command ect. ect. So naturally I thought Java was not
        > installed. I followed the handy provided links to download and
        > install Java 1.4.2 but when I went back to the command prompt after
        > installing and rebooting I got the same message.

        This happens when you system can't find the java executable. Do a
        search on your system for the java.exe file. In my directory it is
        in the C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\bin directory. Then change the
        pcgen.bat file so that it reads

        "drive_letter:\path_to_your_java_executable\java" -version
        "drive_letter:\path_to_your_java_executable\java" -jar pcgen.jar

        In my case, given the directory where I found the java.exe file, I
        would change the pcgen.bat file to be

        "C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\bin\java" -version
        "C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\bin\java" -jar pcgen.jar

        The quotation marks are important because the directory structure
        contains a space. If yours doesn't, you can safely leave them out.

        Good Luck,

        Sir George Anonymous