Re: Error message in Java

  • merton_monk
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jbiehl@k...> wrote:
      > I am receive the following error message in Java (java version
      > 1.4.2_04, java(tm) 2 runtime environment, standard edition (built
      > 1.4.2_04-b05))
      >
      > java.lang.outofmemoryerror
      >
      > Is there a way to fix this I am also running PCGEN 5.6.1? I keep
      > having to save after every action and restart the program all the
      > time.

      You're running out of memory. Standard steps are:
      1. buy more memory! Short of that you can...
      2. reduce the number of books you're loading in PCGen (load just the
      ones you intend to actually use for your character)
      3. don't run anything else while you're running PCGen
      4. there is a comment in the file pcgen.bat - I think if you remove
      the comment and run pcgen.bat it will run PCGen with more available
      memory. I believe this was part of the 5.6.1 release, but it's only
      useful if you have enough memory, and I don't recall right off how
      much that was.

      -Bryan

      > Thanks,
      > Jim
    • Zevious
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
        I like running the Java window directly from a shortcut with heightened
        memory allocations to Java. By default, Java will only use 64 MB of
        memory. PCGen uses more than that now. I use this as the target for my
        shortcut:

        C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe -jar -Xms128m -Xmx200m "C:\Program
        Files\PCGen\pcgen.jar"

        Hope that helps.

        Zevious

        > I am receive the following error message in Java (java version
        > 1.4.2_04, java(tm) 2 runtime environment, standard edition (built
        > 1.4.2_04-b05))
        >
        > java.lang.outofmemoryerror
        >
        > Is there a way to fix this I am also running PCGEN 5.6.1? I keep
        > having to save after every action and restart the program all the
        > time.

        You're running out of memory. Standard steps are:
        1. buy more memory! Short of that you can...
        2. reduce the number of books you're loading in PCGen (load just the
        ones you intend to actually use for your character)
        3. don't run anything else while you're running PCGen
        4. there is a comment in the file pcgen.bat - I think if you remove
        the comment and run pcgen.bat it will run PCGen with more available
        memory. I believe this was part of the 5.6.1 release, but it's only
        useful if you have enough memory, and I don't recall right off how
        much that was.

        -Bryan

        > Thanks,
        > Jim

        PCGen's FAQ:

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1291smbop/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1086290033/A=2164339/R=0/SIG=11e2d64in/*http://
        www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183348> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=group
        s/S=:HM/A=2164339/rand=274202532>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Frugal
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
          <quote who="merton_monk">
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jbiehl@k...> wrote:
          >> I am receive the following error message in Java (java version
          >> 1.4.2_04, java(tm) 2 runtime environment, standard edition (built
          >> 1.4.2_04-b05))
          >>
          >> java.lang.outofmemoryerror
          >>
          >> Is there a way to fix this I am also running PCGEN 5.6.1? I keep
          >> having to save after every action and restart the program all the
          >> time.
          >
          > You're running out of memory. Standard steps are:
          > 1. buy more memory! Short of that you can...

          Be careful here, I run PCGen on a machine with 1G of RAM and I can still
          get the outOfMemory error message.

          Java is designed so that it can not consume all of the resources on a
          machine, so it has it's own memory limits. By default the memory limit for
          a 1.4 java application is 64Mb. So even if you have 4Gb of RAM PCGen will
          only use 64Mb by default.

          > 2. reduce the number of books you're loading in PCGen (load just the
          > ones you intend to actually use for your character)
          > 3. don't run anything else while you're running PCGen
          > 4. there is a comment in the file pcgen.bat - I think if you remove
          > the comment and run pcgen.bat it will run PCGen with more available
          > memory. I believe this was part of the 5.6.1 release, but it's only
          > useful if you have enough memory, and I don't recall right off how
          > much that was.

          The flag is "-Xmx256M" where "256M" indicates that Java should use at most
          256M of memory. In general you would not want to set this value to any
          more than about 75% of your real memory size (garbage collected languages
          like java do not know about which of your memory is real and which is
          virtual so the garbage collector slows right down if it has to swap items
          in first in order to check if they are still used ;O)

          I tend to run most java apps with "-Xmx384M" but that is because I have a
          development machine with a lot of memory.

          --
          regards,
          Frugal