Error message in Java

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
      I am receive the following error message in Java (java version
      1.4.2_04, java(tm) 2 runtime environment, standard edition (built
      1.4.2_04-b05))

      java.lang.outofmemoryerror

      Is there a way to fix this I am also running PCGEN 5.6.1? I keep
      having to save after every action and restart the program all the
      time.

      Thanks,
      Jim
    • merton_monk
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jbiehl@k...> wrote:
        > I am receive the following error message in Java (java version
        > 1.4.2_04, java(tm) 2 runtime environment, standard edition (built
        > 1.4.2_04-b05))
        >
        > java.lang.outofmemoryerror
        >
        > Is there a way to fix this I am also running PCGEN 5.6.1? I keep
        > having to save after every action and restart the program all the
        > time.

        You're running out of memory. Standard steps are:
        1. buy more memory! Short of that you can...
        2. reduce the number of books you're loading in PCGen (load just the
        ones you intend to actually use for your character)
        3. don't run anything else while you're running PCGen
        4. there is a comment in the file pcgen.bat - I think if you remove
        the comment and run pcgen.bat it will run PCGen with more available
        memory. I believe this was part of the 5.6.1 release, but it's only
        useful if you have enough memory, and I don't recall right off how
        much that was.

        -Bryan

        > Thanks,
        > Jim
      • Zevious
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
          I like running the Java window directly from a shortcut with heightened
          memory allocations to Java. By default, Java will only use 64 MB of
          memory. PCGen uses more than that now. I use this as the target for my
          shortcut:

          C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe -jar -Xms128m -Xmx200m "C:\Program
          Files\PCGen\pcgen.jar"

          Hope that helps.

          Zevious

          > I am receive the following error message in Java (java version
          > 1.4.2_04, java(tm) 2 runtime environment, standard edition (built
          > 1.4.2_04-b05))
          >
          > java.lang.outofmemoryerror
          >
          > Is there a way to fix this I am also running PCGEN 5.6.1? I keep
          > having to save after every action and restart the program all the
          > time.

          You're running out of memory. Standard steps are:
          1. buy more memory! Short of that you can...
          2. reduce the number of books you're loading in PCGen (load just the
          ones you intend to actually use for your character)
          3. don't run anything else while you're running PCGen
          4. there is a comment in the file pcgen.bat - I think if you remove
          the comment and run pcgen.bat it will run PCGen with more available
          memory. I believe this was part of the 5.6.1 release, but it's only
          useful if you have enough memory, and I don't recall right off how
          much that was.

          -Bryan

          > Thanks,
          > Jim

          PCGen's FAQ:

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1291smbop/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1086290033/A=2164339/R=0/SIG=11e2d64in/*http://
          www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183348> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=group
          s/S=:HM/A=2164339/rand=274202532>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Frugal
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
            <quote who="merton_monk">
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jbiehl@k...> wrote:
            >> I am receive the following error message in Java (java version
            >> 1.4.2_04, java(tm) 2 runtime environment, standard edition (built
            >> 1.4.2_04-b05))
            >>
            >> java.lang.outofmemoryerror
            >>
            >> Is there a way to fix this I am also running PCGEN 5.6.1? I keep
            >> having to save after every action and restart the program all the
            >> time.
            >
            > You're running out of memory. Standard steps are:
            > 1. buy more memory! Short of that you can...

            Be careful here, I run PCGen on a machine with 1G of RAM and I can still
            get the outOfMemory error message.

            Java is designed so that it can not consume all of the resources on a
            machine, so it has it's own memory limits. By default the memory limit for
            a 1.4 java application is 64Mb. So even if you have 4Gb of RAM PCGen will
            only use 64Mb by default.

            > 2. reduce the number of books you're loading in PCGen (load just the
            > ones you intend to actually use for your character)
            > 3. don't run anything else while you're running PCGen
            > 4. there is a comment in the file pcgen.bat - I think if you remove
            > the comment and run pcgen.bat it will run PCGen with more available
            > memory. I believe this was part of the 5.6.1 release, but it's only
            > useful if you have enough memory, and I don't recall right off how
            > much that was.

            The flag is "-Xmx256M" where "256M" indicates that Java should use at most
            256M of memory. In general you would not want to set this value to any
            more than about 75% of your real memory size (garbage collected languages
            like java do not know about which of your memory is real and which is
            virtual so the garbage collector slows right down if it has to swap items
            in first in order to check if they are still used ;O)

            I tend to run most java apps with "-Xmx384M" but that is because I have a
            development machine with a lot of memory.

            --
            regards,
            Frugal