Help with PDF export

  • blue_seiryu
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2004
      Anyone know how I can export a cleric with the sun domain into PDF
      without all the extra turning info like turn air/fire/earth/water?
      All I want is turn undead.
    • merton_monk
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2004
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "blue_seiryu" <blue_seiryu@y...> wrote:
        > Anyone know how I can export a cleric with the sun domain into PDF
        > without all the extra turning info like turn air/fire/earth/water?
        > All I want is turn undead.

        This is a Barak type question. He can probably answer it if anyone
        can. Felipe would also be a good person to answer this.

        -Bryan
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2004
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "blue_seiryu" <blue_seiryu@y...> wrote:
          > > Anyone know how I can export a cleric with the sun domain into PDF
          > > without all the extra turning info like turn air/fire/earth/water?
          > > All I want is turn undead.
          >
          > This is a Barak type question. He can probably answer it if anyone
          > can. Felipe would also be a good person to answer this.

          I would be willing to be the cleric has Extra Turning?

          It's happening because we use the various variables (TurnTimesxxxx,
          etc.) to toggle the display. The reasoning being, if they exist, you
          have that type of turning. Extra Turning mucks that up because it
          grants a bonus to ALL of the various types of turning.

          There are a couple of ways I can think of to fix it, but both of them
          will require modifications to the .lst files as well as the OS..

          a) create a separate "Extra Turning" feat for each type of turning (NOT
          optimal in my opinion)

          b) add yet another variable simply to indicate they have x type of
          turning (this MAY exist, I'm at work so can't actually look at the .lst
          files and see if it's already there in some form).

          Barak
        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2004
            > > > Anyone know how I can export a cleric with the sun domain into PDF
            > > > without all the extra turning info like turn air/fire/earth/water?
            > > > All I want is turn undead.
            <snip>

            > I would be willing to be the cleric has Extra Turning?
            >
            > It's happening because we use the various variables (TurnTimesxxxx,
            > etc.) to toggle the display. The reasoning being, if they exist, you
            > have that type of turning. Extra Turning mucks that up because it
            > grants a bonus to ALL of the various types of turning.
            >
            > There are a couple of ways I can think of to fix it, but both of them
            > will require modifications to the .lst files as well as the OS..
            >
            > a) create a separate "Extra Turning" feat for each type of turning (NOT
            > optimal in my opinion)
            >
            > b) add yet another variable simply to indicate they have x type of
            > turning (this MAY exist, I'm at work so can't actually look at the .lst
            > files and see if it's already there in some form).

            It does exist, Barak. It is the TurnTimesXXXX vars. They are done with a
            DEFINE:TurnTimesXXXX|TurnTimesBase statement. Extra Turning feat has bonus
            to TurnTimesBase VAR, so it effects all Turning abilities at the same time.

            So if the TurnTimesXXXX var is defined, they have that ability. If it isn't
            defined, they don't. I was thinking ahead when I designed it.... That is
            one of the principle reasons there is a TurnTimesBase VAR..... Doug and I
            had to go around and around to get the complexities in a nice simple form
            that would work in ALL instances, and allow maximum flexibility in how users
            want to use the program. The Matra on the LST Chimp team is "Flexibilty,
            Standardization, Flexibility......" You get picture. One of those words
            usually is what starts our lengthy discussions and the other one usually
            ends it, albeit many hours later.....

            Tir Gwaith
            LST Chimp
          • Paul Grosse
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2004
              <snip>
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "blue_seiryu" <blue_seiryu@y...> wrote:
              > > Anyone know how I can export a cleric with the sun domain into PDF
              > > without all the extra turning info like turn air/fire/earth/water?
              > > All I want is turn undead.
              >
              > This is a Barak type question. He can probably answer it if anyone
              > can. Felipe would also be a good person to answer this.

              I would be willing to be the cleric has Extra Turning?

              It's happening because we use the various variables (TurnTimesxxxx,
              etc.) to toggle the display. The reasoning being, if they exist, you
              have that type of turning. Extra Turning mucks that up because it
              grants a bonus to ALL of the various types of turning.

              There are a couple of ways I can think of to fix it, but both of them
              will require modifications to the .lst files as well as the OS..

              a) create a separate "Extra Turning" feat for each type of turning (NOT
              optimal in my opinion)

              b) add yet another variable simply to indicate they have x type of
              turning (this MAY exist, I'm at work so can't actually look at the .lst
              files and see if it's already there in some form).

              Barak
              </snip>

              There is in the MotW I briefly looked at, the Animal Defiance has this
              for the code

              DEFINE:TurnAnimal|3+CHA

              You could have it check to see if there's a variable greater than 0 for
              each type of turning and only show the ones that have greater than 0.
              And have the Extra Turning apply a generic variable that addes to all
              the turning code on the OS.

              But I seem to remember that Extra Turning had to be applied to only ONE
              type of turning not globally that may only be in my head though.

              Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
              PCGen OGL Chimp & LST Lemur-in-training
              ICQ: 14397299
              AO: Nylan
              Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

              "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to
              keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein
            • Chuck Pint
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2004
                > But I seem to remember that Extra Turning had to be applied to only
                ONE
                > type of turning not globally that may only be in my head though.

                Nope, the Extra Turning feat from 3.5 says "If you have the ability to
                turn or rebuke more than one type of creature (...), each of your
                turning or rebuking abilities gains four additional uses per day." The
                3.0 version doesn't really say anything about anything except undead.

                I'm looking into fixing this all up in the combined OS. Next it will
                go into the other HTML OS.

                Chuck
              • Frugal
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
                  <quote who="Chris">
                  >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "blue_seiryu" <blue_seiryu@y...> wrote:
                  >> > Anyone know how I can export a cleric with the sun domain into PDF
                  >> > without all the extra turning info like turn air/fire/earth/water?
                  >> > All I want is turn undead.
                  >>
                  >> This is a Barak type question. He can probably answer it if anyone
                  >> can. Felipe would also be a good person to answer this.
                  >>

                  > I would be willing to be the cleric has Extra Turning?
                  >
                  > It's happening because we use the various variables (TurnTimesxxxx,
                  > etc.) to toggle the display. The reasoning being, if they exist, you
                  > have that type of turning. Extra Turning mucks that up because it
                  > grants a bonus to ALL of the various types of turning.
                  >
                  > There are a couple of ways I can think of to fix it, but both of them
                  > will require modifications to the .lst files as well as the OS..
                  >
                  > a) create a separate "Extra Turning" feat for each type of turning (NOT
                  > optimal in my opinion)
                  >
                  > b) add yet another variable simply to indicate they have x type of
                  > turning (this MAY exist, I'm at work so can't actually look at the .lst
                  > files and see if it's already there in some form).

                  I have already fixed this problem in the CVS version of the PDF
                  outputsheets. The problem was that the ExtraTurning feat increases the
                  times per day for all turning types, not just ones you already have. and
                  as the outputsheet displays a turning block for each turning type you have
                  >0 turns per day this means that all of the turning blocks get shown.

                  The outputsheet now uses the TurnLevel variable instead of the TurnTimes
                  variable to determine if a turning block should be shown.

                  --
                  regards,
                  Frugal
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
                    While the fixes you note below are in place and working, there is
                    still at least one more outstanding bug in the turning Undead. There
                    is a bug listed under OS, that looks to me to really be a data bug.
                    That's the synergy bonus of +2 with 5 or more ranks in Knowledge
                    (religion) to turning checks. Note that this only applies to turning
                    Undead, and not to any other turning type. I don't see this anywhere.

                    Chuck

                    > It does exist, Barak. It is the TurnTimesXXXX vars. They are done
                    with a
                    > DEFINE:TurnTimesXXXX|TurnTimesBase statement. Extra Turning feat
                    has bonus
                    > to TurnTimesBase VAR, so it effects all Turning abilities at the
                    same time.

                    > So if the TurnTimesXXXX var is defined, they have that ability. If
                    it isn't
                    > defined, they don't. I was thinking ahead when I designed it....
                    That is
                    > one of the principle reasons there is a TurnTimesBase VAR..... Doug
                    and I
                    > had to go around and around to get the complexities in a nice simple
                    form
                    > that would work in ALL instances, and allow maximum flexibility in
                    how users
                    > want to use the program. The Matra on the LST Chimp team is
                    "Flexibilty,
                    > Standardization, Flexibility......" You get picture. One of those
                    words
                    > usually is what starts our lengthy discussions and the other one
                    usually
                    > ends it, albeit many hours later.....
                    >
                    > Tir Gwaith
                    > LST Chimp
                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
                      > So if the TurnTimesXXXX var is defined, they have that ability. If
                      > it isn't defined, they don't.

                      Not quite true and exactly my point (and the problem). Extra Turning
                      grants +x to ALL of those variables, so after they take Extra Turning,
                      all those variables do exist (even though a DEFINE has never been used
                      for them), and since the sheets are keyed to operate off of them, all
                      those tables show up.

                      It looks like Frugal has a solution though by simply using one of the
                      other variables (TURNLEVELxxx I think he said in his e-mail), so it's
                      not a real big deal any more. :p

                      It would be nice that if a VAR hadn't been defined it didn't show up
                      even if there was a BONUS:VAR for it... I can think of SEVERAL uses for
                      that.

                      Barak
                    • Tir Gwaith
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
                        in rsrdskills.lst, under Knowledge (Religion):
                        BONUS:VAR|TurnCheckUndead|2|PRESKILL:1,Knowledge (Religion)=5

                        Only applies to Undead Turn Checks. It is in the data... Not sure if the
                        OS is grabbing the right VARs if there is an issue there. :)

                        The only outstanding feature not implemented is the fact that the domains
                        that grant "Fire Turning/Water Rebuking" etc, have a combined number of
                        turning attempts instead of tracking each individually. I can't remember if
                        it was Doug or myself that decided that was an enhancement for another
                        time.. Thanks to Devon for finding that though...

                        Tir Gwaith
                        LST Chimp

                        > While the fixes you note below are in place and working, there is
                        > still at least one more outstanding bug in the turning Undead. There
                        > is a bug listed under OS, that looks to me to really be a data bug.
                        > That's the synergy bonus of +2 with 5 or more ranks in Knowledge
                        > (religion) to turning checks. Note that this only applies to turning
                        > Undead, and not to any other turning type. I don't see this anywhere.
                        >
                        > Chuck
                      • Tir Gwaith
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
                          > > So if the TurnTimesXXXX var is defined, they have that ability. If
                          > > it isn't defined, they don't.
                          >
                          > Not quite true and exactly my point (and the problem). Extra Turning
                          > grants +x to ALL of those variables, so after they take Extra Turning,
                          > all those variables do exist (even though a DEFINE has never been used
                          > for them), and since the sheets are keyed to operate off of them, all
                          > those tables show up.

                          That's BAD... A variable is not supposed to exist unless there is a DEFINE.
                          I've based a whole lot of logic on that.... Code Bug, perhaps?

                          Tir Gwaith
                          LST Chimp
                        • Chuck Pint
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
                            Ok, the Knowledge (Religion) does work, I made the mistake of thinking
                            it was the same for 3.0 and 3.5, but only 3.5 actually has that bonus.

                            However, there is a problem with the rsrd domains lst file. The Air,
                            Fire, Earth and Water domains do not grant the Turn/Rebuke Feats. Air
                            has a VFEAT (which doesn't work), and the other three have nothing at
                            all. The srd domains lst file is fine.

                            This is going to be important, because the OS team just decided that
                            looking for the feat to turn on a turning block is safer than looking
                            for a variable defined...

                            Chuck

                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
                            > in rsrdskills.lst, under Knowledge (Religion):
                            > BONUS:VAR|TurnCheckUndead|2|PRESKILL:1,Knowledge (Religion)=5
                            >
                            > Only applies to Undead Turn Checks. It is in the data... Not sure
                            if the
                            > OS is grabbing the right VARs if there is an issue there. :)
                            >
                            > The only outstanding feature not implemented is the fact that the
                            domains
                            > that grant "Fire Turning/Water Rebuking" etc, have a combined number of
                            > turning attempts instead of tracking each individually. I can't
                            remember if
                            > it was Doug or myself that decided that was an enhancement for another
                            > time.. Thanks to Devon for finding that though...
                            >
                            > Tir Gwaith
                            > LST Chimp
                            >
                            > > While the fixes you note below are in place and working, there is
                            > > still at least one more outstanding bug in the turning Undead. There
                            > > is a bug listed under OS, that looks to me to really be a data bug.
                            > > That's the synergy bonus of +2 with 5 or more ranks in Knowledge
                            > > (religion) to turning checks. Note that this only applies to turning
                            > > Undead, and not to any other turning type. I don't see this anywhere.
                            > >
                            > > Chuck
                          • Barak
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004

                              I just tested and that is working properly. It works in the xslt sheets and
                              _combined.

                              It doesn't matter at the moment for the _std sheet because the turn check
                              isn't even shown on there, just the level, damage and turns per day ... I'll
                              have to get that sheet updated. :p

                              Barak
                              ~PCGen BoD
                              ~OS Silverback
                            • Barak
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004

                                I wasn't sure if that was how it was supposed to operate or not. You're
                                usually fairly careful about sort of thing, so I was wondering about that
                                one.

                                I remember a bug (feature?) where if you did a BONUS:VAR|yyy|#, if the yyy
                                wasn't defined you would end up with double that value because it would
                                initialize the variable to that number, and then add it again. :p

                                I would agree that if a VAR hasn't been defined a bonus to it should be
                                ignored and NOT create the variable.

                                Barak
                                ~PCGen BoD
                                ~OS Silverback