How to best use pcGen for Animal Companions and their equipment

  • Timothy Cheng
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26 1:28 PM
      There are 2 ways to handle animal companions in pcGen 5.6.x.

      ONE: the dumb way (which i'm now using)
      Add 'anmial' as 'item' in (inventory->gear) tab. Then, add whatever
      the animal is carrying in the (inventory->equipping) tab.
      ADVANTAGE: Easily manage items which you are carrying versus when
      the animal is carrying. For example, on land, the dog carries most
      of the heavy stuff. On sea, neither the dog nor I carry heavy stuff.
      Sometimes, dog's aren't allowed and the PC carries it all. These
      variations are very easy to manage in 'equipping' tab.
      PROBLEM: there are no 'animal' stats in the character sheet.

      TWO: the 'it ought to work way'
      Animal companion is NOT 'gear': it's companion. Add animal in
      (inventory->resources(followers)) tab. Then, pcGen creates a new
      character sheet just for the companion.
      ADVANTAGE: animal stats available, especially now that the animal
      has barding and encumberance issues. Like (I wonder) does it take
      into advantage of the 'total' weight of the person sitting on it and
      all of his gear?
      PROBLEM: When managing stuff between PC and it's AP (Animal
      Companion). You have to 'add' and 'delete' items between 2 character
      sheets.

      IDEAL. These two character sheets need to be linked: into
      both 'resources' and 'gear.' The AP is an extension of a container.
      And, the PC is an encumberance upon the AP.

      Does pcGen already do this and I'm just not seeing the capabillity?

      tim
    • Dekker
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28 9:50 AM
        Well, I just lost my paladin last week <sigh> but for his steed I did
        enter it as an animal companion... but there was a small bugs that I
        never mentioned before:

        On my Paladin's output sheet, the Special Mount block contained stats
        correctly for AC, HP and saves, but the attack stats were incorrect
        (I had barding, don't know if that made the difference).

        I bought gear on my companion's character sheet, then repeated the
        process on my character sheet, but did not equip them (because my
        mount had them). Yes, it was a pain-in-the-ass.

        What I would really like is some function so that I can say: Transfer
        to other active character sheet, which takes the highlighted items
        from the current character and adds them to the selected character.

        Of course, now I created a rogue character, and so I'm more concerned
        in how to transfer items from NPCs to my character's sheet ;)

        Dekker500

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy Cheng" <timothytcheng@y...>
        wrote:
        > There are 2 ways to handle animal companions in pcGen 5.6.x.
        >
        > ONE: the dumb way (which i'm now using)
        > Add 'anmial' as 'item' in (inventory->gear) tab.
        > TWO: the 'it ought to work way'
        > Animal companion is NOT 'gear': it's companion.

        > tim
      • Seb
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
          Same here. Everything worked fine for my paladin's mount except for
          the to-hit bonus : +21/+21 hoofs, +16 bite instead of +14/+14 and +9.

          Tested in 5.6.0, 3.5 campaign.