Re: [pcgen] Re: [DOCS] new preference entries - Expert GUI

  • Emily Smirle
    Message 1 of 19 , May 7 6:41 PM
      Sigurdur H. Olafsson wrote:

      >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...> wrote:
      >

      >> What does 'Use expert GUI settings' do?
      >>

      >Normally PCGen will remind you if you try to create a "New"
      >character without any sources loaded, to load sources.
      >
      >When this is checked it will just grey out the File-New option and
      >the "New" Toolbar icon.
      >(Presumably this was changed this way because newbies were always
      >asking here why they could not create new characters)
      >
      >The code monkeys involved (Jamey, If I am not mistaken) would know
      >if there is more to it. I suggest you send him a private mail since
      >I have not seen him here for a while.

      There are a few other features, they're along the same lines. Stuff like
      adding your first character level, it asks if your stats are set the way
      you want them. Things like that.

      Every time we get a rash of questions about something in the GUI, and a
      bunch of old wrinkly PCGeners explaining why things are the way they
      are, we change the GUI so people stop asking questions, and implement
      the "Better" way as an "expert" setting so us wrinklies don't have to
      put up with popups.

      --
      Soylant Clear: Clearly less people, Clearly less fat.
    • Emily Smirle
      Message 2 of 19 , May 7 6:48 PM
        Zevious wrote:

        > What should happen as I understand it:
        >
        >10th level Bard, CHA 20 (That'd be mine)
        >Without check - Known: 4 1st level, 4 each of 2nd & 3rd, and 2 4th level
        >(since his CHA gives him a bonus 4th level spell, he gets to know 2 of
        >them. If he only had a 17 CHA or lower, he would not have the bonus cast
        >spell for 4th level so would not know any of them either).
        >WITH check - Known: 6 1st level, 5 each of 2nd & 3rd, and 3 4th level.
        >
        >The DM that I'm playing the above bard in does allow this optional rule
        >and my character sheet prints out correctly with the above numbers (6,
        >5, 5, & 3).

        That's it in a nutshell. This originally came from discussion over a few
        feats from the Netbook of Feats, as well as a house rule used in the
        campeign I was in a year or two ago.

        --
        Soylant Clear: Clearly less people, Clearly less fat.