Re: [DOCS] new preference entries

  • Seb
    Message 1 of 19 , May 5, 2004
      I don't get it. The point-buy system use the
      system\pointbuymethods*.lst files. If abilities below 8 or above 18
      are not in this file, how can pcgen knows the cost ?
      So I guess you have to fill this file with abilities below 8 and/or
      above 18.
      Isn't it redondant to have this checkbox ? If abilities outside the
      standart range are in the pointbuymethods file then allows it, if not
      don't.

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:

      > What does the 'Allow any range for ability scores' checkbox do?
      >
      > PG: This allows for ability scores below 8 and above 18,
      specifically
      > using the optional Point Buy system
    • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
      Message 2 of 19 , May 5, 2004
        > What does 'Use expert GUI settings' do?

        Normally PCGen will remind you if you try to create a "New"
        character without any sources loaded, to load sources.

        When this is checked it will just grey out the File-New option and
        the "New" Toolbar icon.
        (Presumably this was changed this way because newbies were always
        asking here why they could not create new characters)

        The code monkeys involved (Jamey, If I am not mistaken) would know
        if there is more to it. I suggest you send him a private mail since
        I have not seen him here for a while.

        Siggy - Doc Chimp
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 19 , May 5, 2004
          Heres the deal: if the point buy system does not spec abilities below 8 or
          above 18 you cannot have them checked or not. What the checkbox does is
          allow you to create or modify a point buy method to have abilities outside
          that range. So it has little to do with using point buy methods and more to
          do with editing them.

          --
          ~ Eddy
          ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
          Message 4 of 19 , May 7, 2004
            Sigurdur H. Olafsson wrote:

            >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...> wrote:
            >

            >> What does 'Use expert GUI settings' do?
            >>

            >Normally PCGen will remind you if you try to create a "New"
            >character without any sources loaded, to load sources.
            >
            >When this is checked it will just grey out the File-New option and
            >the "New" Toolbar icon.
            >(Presumably this was changed this way because newbies were always
            >asking here why they could not create new characters)
            >
            >The code monkeys involved (Jamey, If I am not mistaken) would know
            >if there is more to it. I suggest you send him a private mail since
            >I have not seen him here for a while.

            There are a few other features, they're along the same lines. Stuff like
            adding your first character level, it asks if your stats are set the way
            you want them. Things like that.

            Every time we get a rash of questions about something in the GUI, and a
            bunch of old wrinkly PCGeners explaining why things are the way they
            are, we change the GUI so people stop asking questions, and implement
            the "Better" way as an "expert" setting so us wrinklies don't have to
            put up with popups.

            --
            Soylant Clear: Clearly less people, Clearly less fat.
          • Emily Smirle
            Message 5 of 19 , May 7, 2004
              Zevious wrote:

              > What should happen as I understand it:
              >
              >10th level Bard, CHA 20 (That'd be mine)
              >Without check - Known: 4 1st level, 4 each of 2nd & 3rd, and 2 4th level
              >(since his CHA gives him a bonus 4th level spell, he gets to know 2 of
              >them. If he only had a 17 CHA or lower, he would not have the bonus cast
              >spell for 4th level so would not know any of them either).
              >WITH check - Known: 6 1st level, 5 each of 2nd & 3rd, and 3 4th level.
              >
              >The DM that I'm playing the above bard in does allow this optional rule
              >and my character sheet prints out correctly with the above numbers (6,
              >5, 5, & 3).

              That's it in a nutshell. This originally came from discussion over a few
              feats from the Netbook of Feats, as well as a house rule used in the
              campeign I was in a year or two ago.

              Message 6 of 19 , May 7, 2004
                Sigurdur H. Olafsson wrote:

                >Bards already get bonus spells to known as per the SRD
                >(srdbasiccharacterclassesi.rtf):
                >TABLE: Bard Spells Known
                >*Provided the bard has sufficient Charisma to have a bonus spell of
                >this level.

                Text in this case refers to Bonus Spell(s) Cast (Per Day), not Bonus
                Spells Known. So, number of times he can *cast* spells of the given
                level, not what variety of spells of that level he can cast. If that
                helps clear things up.

                >So this would only apply to Sorcerers (Or what?)

                No, both of them. And to 3.5 psionic wariors, and probably a bunch of
                prestige classes. It doesn't apply to Clerics and Druids, because they
                each know *all* spells of a level they can cast, they just don't have
                the religious authority to request them from the relevant deity. Ditto
                Paladins, Rangers and blackguards. Assasins learn spells like
                fancy-dressed wizards, but the Mystic Theurge learns like a sorcerer,
                IIRC. Or can, at any rate.

                --
                Soylant Clear: Clearly less people, Clearly less fat.