RE: [pcgen] Re: [DOCS] new preference entries

  • Benjamin Pew
    Message 1 of 19 , May 4, 2004
      I think there's been a misunderstanding in these emails regarding the bard.
      Bards do not gain bonus spells known for high ability score according to the
      normal rules. It seems to be a lot more vague in the SRD, but the following
      text from the RSRD is also in the 3.0 Player's Handbook: "(Unlike spells per
      day, the number of spells a bard knows is not affected by his Charisma
      score; the numbers on Table: Bard Spells Known are fixed.)"

      The reference on the spells known chart to only knowing spells if he has a
      high enough Charisma to have a bonus spell of this level is based on the
      fact that at many levels, the bard can cast 0 spells of a given level, which
      means he can only cast spells of that level if he has a high enough Charisma
      to gain a bonus spell of that level. If he does, then he knows spells of
      that level. If he can't cast spells at that level yet, then he doesn't know
      any (not that it really matters, since he can't cast them even if he does
      know them).

      Bards and Sorcerers are not different in this respect.

      Message 2 of 19 , May 4, 2004
        Thanks for clearing that up, I looked again and that is indeed in the
        revised SRD as well.

        So what this rule does is grant a single bonus spell known per level above
        zero to classes that grant a limited number of spells know (such as bards
        and sorcerers). Does this sound right?

        My next question is what are the details of this bonus, how high does the
        stat have to be? Is it just one spell or can there be more with a higher
        charisma. Is the bonus spell based on having a stat high enough to cast at a
        certain level?

        --
        ~ Eddy
        ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
        ~ PCGen BoD Documentation Second
      • Zevious
        Message 3 of 19 , May 4, 2004
          My understanding as to what it SHOULD be doing is using the bonus spells
          chart to add to KNOWN spells in addition to cast spells. The spells
          known charts for both Bard and Sorcerer are WITHOUT this bonus. The * in
          the known spells chart means that they only know spells of that level if
          their CHA is high enough to get them bonus spells cast of that level
          (since the spells/day chart has a 0 for that spell level).

          I had thought that getting bonus known spells from the spell stat was a
          published OPTIONAL rule in the PHB, but I just did a quick check of both
          the 3.0 and 3.5 PHB and could not find it, so I could be wrong there.
          Probably published in something like UA or maybe Tome & Blood. Not sure,
          but it's moot for this discussion anyway. :)

          What should happen as I understand it:

          10th level Bard, CHA 20 (That'd be mine)
          Without check - Known: 4 1st level, 4 each of 2nd & 3rd, and 2 4th level
          (since his CHA gives him a bonus 4th level spell, he gets to know 2 of
          them. If he only had a 17 CHA or lower, he would not have the bonus cast
          spell for 4th level so would not know any of them either).
          WITH check - Known: 6 1st level, 5 each of 2nd & 3rd, and 3 4th level.

          The DM that I'm playing the above bard in does allow this optional rule
          and my character sheet prints out correctly with the above numbers (6,
          5, 5, & 3).

          Zev

          --
          ~ Eddy
          ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
          ~ PCGen BoD Documentation Second

          PCGen's FAQ:

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129j2dcsq/M=295196.4901138.6052515.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1083775657/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://
          companion.yahoo.com> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6052515.3001176/D=group
          s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=979251788>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Paul Grosse
          Message 4 of 19 , May 4, 2004
            </snip>
            What does 'Display Feat Description' do. Does this relate to GUI
            display or output? I was unable to find any function when I experimented
            with it.

            PG: The default DESC is "See Text", per the agreement with WotC PCGen is
            allowed to use the one line descriptions in the feat table as the
            descriptions. It's under "rsrd_feats_descriptions.lst" and it mods the
            feats in "rsrd_feats.lst" to have the one line desc from the PHB.

            What does 'Use expert GUI settings' do?

            PG: No idea :)

            In the Character Menu under House Rules.

            What does 'Add stat bonus to spells known' do? This defaults to off,
            is this not part of the regular rules? (forgive me I don't have the
            books here at work).

            PG: Yes everyone already covered this. It adds to KNOWN spells for bards
            and Sorc using the ability bonus chart

            Weapon catagories, what specifically does this do? Is there any
            reason you would want to set it to 3.0 if you are using 3.5 gamemode?
            What are the implications of setting the wrong Weapon category?

            PG: I believe this is for those DM's that didn't like the 3.5 weapon
            changes. I know many didn't care for them

            And finally the million dollar question:

            What does the 'Allow any range for ability scores' checkbox do?

            PG: This allows for ability scores below 8 and above 18, specifically
            using the optional Point Buy system

            Thanks.
            --
            ~ Eddy
            ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
            ~ PCGen BoD Documentation Second
            </snip>

            There ya go Eddy :)

            Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
            PCGen OGL Chimp & LST Lemur-in-training
            ICQ: 14397299
            AO: Nylan
            Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

            "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to
            keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein
          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 19 , May 4, 2004
              Thanks for everyone's input, I think we've got answers to all but one of the
              entries. Here's the text I'll put in the docs, any suggestions for clarity,
              spelling, rules, etc are appreciated.

              > In the Appearence menu, under Display Options.
              > 'Display Feat Description'

              This option will allow PCGen to display the description included with the
              feat rather than "See text".

              > In the Character Menu under House Rules.
              > 'Add stat bonus to spells known'

              This option will add to a characters number of spells known using the
              Table:Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells. Normally characters with a limited
              number of spells known such as Bards and Sorcerers do not get bonus spells
              known due to high ability scores.

              > Weapon catagories

              The 3.5 revision of the rules changed the way weapon sizes were handled
              within the game. This option allows the user to choose which version of the
              rules to use within PCGen.

              > 'Allow any range for ability scores'

              This allows for ability scores below 8 and above 18, specifically
              using the optional Point Buy system. Unchecked one cannot create a point buy
              method outside the ranges of 8 and 18. Please note that you must check this
              box, close the preferences and open them back up again before you can create
              a point buy method of any range.

              (Thanks Paul (Yes that Paul), this one was quite difficult to nail down)

              > In the Appearence menu, under Display Options.
              > What does 'Use expert GUI settings' do?

              Still don't know what this does.

              --
              ~ Eddy
              ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
              ~ PCGen BoD Documentation Second
            • Frugal
              Message 6 of 19 , May 5, 2004
                <quote who="Paul Grosse">

                > What does 'Add stat bonus to spells known' do? This defaults to off,
                > is this not part of the regular rules? (forgive me I don't have the
                > books here at work).
                >
                > PG: Yes everyone already covered this. It adds to KNOWN spells for bards
                > and Sorc using the ability bonus chart

                This really needs to be renamed, as it stands it reads as though it will
                add the stat modifier, whereas what it actually does is use teh stat
                modifier to calculate the number of bonus spells.

                How about something like "Use Stat modifier to caclulate bonus known spells"?

                > What does the 'Allow any range for ability scores' checkbox do?
                >
                > PG: This allows for ability scores below 8 and above 18, specifically
                > using the optional Point Buy system

                Again, this could do with being re-worded to reflect the fact that it only
                affects the point buy system: 'Allow any range for ability scores in
                point-buy'

                --
                regards,
                Frugal
                Message 7 of 19 , May 5, 2004
                  I don't get it. The point-buy system use the
                  system\pointbuymethods*.lst files. If abilities below 8 or above 18
                  are not in this file, how can pcgen knows the cost ?
                  So I guess you have to fill this file with abilities below 8 and/or
                  above 18.
                  Isn't it redondant to have this checkbox ? If abilities outside the
                  standart range are in the pointbuymethods file then allows it, if not
                  don't.

                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:

                  > What does the 'Allow any range for ability scores' checkbox do?
                  >
                  > PG: This allows for ability scores below 8 and above 18,
                  specifically
                  > using the optional Point Buy system
                • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 5, 2004
                    > What does 'Use expert GUI settings' do?

                    Normally PCGen will remind you if you try to create a "New"
                    character without any sources loaded, to load sources.

                    When this is checked it will just grey out the File-New option and
                    the "New" Toolbar icon.
                    (Presumably this was changed this way because newbies were always
                    asking here why they could not create new characters)

                    The code monkeys involved (Jamey, If I am not mistaken) would know
                    if there is more to it. I suggest you send him a private mail since
                    I have not seen him here for a while.

                    Siggy - Doc Chimp
                  • Eddy Anthony
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 5, 2004
                      Heres the deal: if the point buy system does not spec abilities below 8 or
                      above 18 you cannot have them checked or not. What the checkbox does is
                      allow you to create or modify a point buy method to have abilities outside
                      that range. So it has little to do with using point buy methods and more to
                      do with editing them.

                      On 5/5/04 4:31 AM, "Seb" <sebastien.peslin@...> wrote:

                      > I don't get it. The point-buy system use the
                      > system\pointbuymethods*.lst files. If abilities below 8 or above 18
                      > are not in this file, how can pcgen knows the cost ?
                      > So I guess you have to fill this file with abilities below 8 and/or
                      > above 18.
                      > Isn't it redondant to have this checkbox ? If abilities outside the
                      > standart range are in the pointbuymethods file then allows it, if not
                      > don't.
                      >
                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> What does the 'Allow any range for ability scores' checkbox do?
                      >>
                      >> PG: This allows for ability scores below 8 and above 18,
                      > specifically
                      >> using the optional Point Buy system

                      --
                      ~ Eddy
                      ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
                      ~ PCGen BoD Documentation Second
                    • Emily Smirle
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 7, 2004
                        Sigurdur H. Olafsson wrote:

                        >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...> wrote:
                        >

                        >> What does 'Use expert GUI settings' do?
                        >>

                        >Normally PCGen will remind you if you try to create a "New"
                        >character without any sources loaded, to load sources.
                        >
                        >When this is checked it will just grey out the File-New option and
                        >the "New" Toolbar icon.
                        >(Presumably this was changed this way because newbies were always
                        >asking here why they could not create new characters)
                        >
                        >The code monkeys involved (Jamey, If I am not mistaken) would know
                        >if there is more to it. I suggest you send him a private mail since
                        >I have not seen him here for a while.

                        There are a few other features, they're along the same lines. Stuff like
                        adding your first character level, it asks if your stats are set the way
                        you want them. Things like that.

                        Every time we get a rash of questions about something in the GUI, and a
                        bunch of old wrinkly PCGeners explaining why things are the way they
                        are, we change the GUI so people stop asking questions, and implement
                        the "Better" way as an "expert" setting so us wrinklies don't have to
                        put up with popups.

                        --
                        Soylant Clear: Clearly less people, Clearly less fat.
                      • Emily Smirle
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 7, 2004
                          Zevious wrote:

                          > What should happen as I understand it:
                          >
                          >10th level Bard, CHA 20 (That'd be mine)
                          >Without check - Known: 4 1st level, 4 each of 2nd & 3rd, and 2 4th level
                          >(since his CHA gives him a bonus 4th level spell, he gets to know 2 of
                          >them. If he only had a 17 CHA or lower, he would not have the bonus cast
                          >spell for 4th level so would not know any of them either).
                          >WITH check - Known: 6 1st level, 5 each of 2nd & 3rd, and 3 4th level.
                          >
                          >The DM that I'm playing the above bard in does allow this optional rule
                          >and my character sheet prints out correctly with the above numbers (6,
                          >5, 5, & 3).

                          That's it in a nutshell. This originally came from discussion over a few
                          feats from the Netbook of Feats, as well as a house rule used in the
                          campeign I was in a year or two ago.

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 7, 2004
                            Sigurdur H. Olafsson wrote:

                            >Bards already get bonus spells to known as per the SRD
                            >(srdbasiccharacterclassesi.rtf):
                            >TABLE: Bard Spells Known
                            >*Provided the bard has sufficient Charisma to have a bonus spell of
                            >this level.

                            Text in this case refers to Bonus Spell(s) Cast (Per Day), not Bonus
                            Spells Known. So, number of times he can *cast* spells of the given
                            level, not what variety of spells of that level he can cast. If that
                            helps clear things up.

                            >So this would only apply to Sorcerers (Or what?)

                            No, both of them. And to 3.5 psionic wariors, and probably a bunch of
                            prestige classes. It doesn't apply to Clerics and Druids, because they
                            each know *all* spells of a level they can cast, they just don't have
                            the religious authority to request them from the relevant deity. Ditto
                            Paladins, Rangers and blackguards. Assasins learn spells like
                            fancy-dressed wizards, but the Mystic Theurge learns like a sorcerer,
                            IIRC. Or can, at any rate.

                            --
                            Soylant Clear: Clearly less people, Clearly less fat.