Re: [pcgen] Re: [DOCS] new preference entries

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 19 , May 4 8:42 AM
      I did some quick experimentation with the program and found this: With the
      Add stat bonus to spells known checkbox on both the bard and sorcerer are
      getting one additional spell known per level past first. This test was done
      with a bard and a sorcerer each 6th level with an 18 CHA.

      It seems this preference is a compromise, with it checked the bard is
      correct per the SRD but the sorcerer knows more then he should (see SRD
      quote below) with it unchecked the opposite is true.

      Is this the case or am I missing something.

      <snip from SRD ClassesII.rtf>
      At each new sorcerer level, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on
      Table: Sorcerer Spells Known. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a
      sorcerer knows is not affected by his Charisma score; the numbers on Table:
      Sorcerer Spells Known are fixed.)
      </snip>

      --
      ~ Eddy
      ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
      Message 2 of 19 , May 4 9:23 AM
        I think there's been a misunderstanding in these emails regarding the bard.
        Bards do not gain bonus spells known for high ability score according to the
        normal rules. It seems to be a lot more vague in the SRD, but the following
        text from the RSRD is also in the 3.0 Player's Handbook: "(Unlike spells per
        day, the number of spells a bard knows is not affected by his Charisma
        score; the numbers on Table: Bard Spells Known are fixed.)"

        The reference on the spells known chart to only knowing spells if he has a
        high enough Charisma to have a bonus spell of this level is based on the
        fact that at many levels, the bard can cast 0 spells of a given level, which
        means he can only cast spells of that level if he has a high enough Charisma
        to gain a bonus spell of that level. If he does, then he knows spells of
        that level. If he can't cast spells at that level yet, then he doesn't know
        any (not that it really matters, since he can't cast them even if he does
        know them).

        Bards and Sorcerers are not different in this respect.

        --
        ~ Eddy
        ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
        ~ PCGen BoD Documentation Second

        PCGen's FAQ:
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 19 , May 4 9:45 AM
          Thanks for clearing that up, I looked again and that is indeed in the
          revised SRD as well.

          So what this rule does is grant a single bonus spell known per level above
          zero to classes that grant a limited number of spells know (such as bards
          and sorcerers). Does this sound right?

          My next question is what are the details of this bonus, how high does the
          stat have to be? Is it just one spell or can there be more with a higher
          charisma. Is the bonus spell based on having a stat high enough to cast at a
          certain level?

          --
          ~ Eddy
          ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
          ~ PCGen BoD Documentation Second
        • Zevious
          Message 4 of 19 , May 4 12:27 PM
            My understanding as to what it SHOULD be doing is using the bonus spells
            chart to add to KNOWN spells in addition to cast spells. The spells
            known charts for both Bard and Sorcerer are WITHOUT this bonus. The * in
            the known spells chart means that they only know spells of that level if
            their CHA is high enough to get them bonus spells cast of that level
            (since the spells/day chart has a 0 for that spell level).

            I had thought that getting bonus known spells from the spell stat was a
            published OPTIONAL rule in the PHB, but I just did a quick check of both
            the 3.0 and 3.5 PHB and could not find it, so I could be wrong there.
            Probably published in something like UA or maybe Tome & Blood. Not sure,
            but it's moot for this discussion anyway. :)

            What should happen as I understand it:

            10th level Bard, CHA 20 (That'd be mine)
            Without check - Known: 4 1st level, 4 each of 2nd & 3rd, and 2 4th level
            (since his CHA gives him a bonus 4th level spell, he gets to know 2 of
            them. If he only had a 17 CHA or lower, he would not have the bonus cast
            spell for 4th level so would not know any of them either).
            WITH check - Known: 6 1st level, 5 each of 2nd & 3rd, and 3 4th level.

            The DM that I'm playing the above bard in does allow this optional rule
            and my character sheet prints out correctly with the above numbers (6,
            5, 5, & 3).

            Zev

            --
            ~ Eddy
            ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
            ~ PCGen BoD Documentation Second

            PCGen's FAQ:

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129j2dcsq/M=295196.4901138.6052515.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1083775657/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://
            companion.yahoo.com> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6052515.3001176/D=group
            s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=979251788>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Paul Grosse
            Message 5 of 19 , May 4 2:18 PM
              </snip>
              What does 'Display Feat Description' do. Does this relate to GUI
              display or output? I was unable to find any function when I experimented
              with it.

              PG: The default DESC is "See Text", per the agreement with WotC PCGen is
              allowed to use the one line descriptions in the feat table as the
              descriptions. It's under "rsrd_feats_descriptions.lst" and it mods the
              feats in "rsrd_feats.lst" to have the one line desc from the PHB.

              What does 'Use expert GUI settings' do?

              PG: No idea :)

              In the Character Menu under House Rules.

              What does 'Add stat bonus to spells known' do? This defaults to off,
              is this not part of the regular rules? (forgive me I don't have the
              books here at work).

              PG: Yes everyone already covered this. It adds to KNOWN spells for bards
              and Sorc using the ability bonus chart

              Weapon catagories, what specifically does this do? Is there any
              reason you would want to set it to 3.0 if you are using 3.5 gamemode?
              What are the implications of setting the wrong Weapon category?

              PG: I believe this is for those DM's that didn't like the 3.5 weapon
              changes. I know many didn't care for them

              And finally the million dollar question:

              What does the 'Allow any range for ability scores' checkbox do?

              PG: This allows for ability scores below 8 and above 18, specifically
              using the optional Point Buy system

              Thanks.
              --
              ~ Eddy
              ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
              ~ PCGen BoD Documentation Second
              </snip>

              There ya go Eddy :)

              Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
              PCGen OGL Chimp & LST Lemur-in-training
              ICQ: 14397299
              AO: Nylan
              Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

              "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to
              keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein
            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 19 , May 4 6:53 PM
                Thanks for everyone's input, I think we've got answers to all but one of the
                entries. Here's the text I'll put in the docs, any suggestions for clarity,
                spelling, rules, etc are appreciated.

                > In the Appearence menu, under Display Options.
                > 'Display Feat Description'

                This option will allow PCGen to display the description included with the
                feat rather than "See text".

                > In the Character Menu under House Rules.
                > 'Add stat bonus to spells known'

                This option will add to a characters number of spells known using the
                Table:Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells. Normally characters with a limited
                number of spells known such as Bards and Sorcerers do not get bonus spells
                known due to high ability scores.

                > Weapon catagories

                The 3.5 revision of the rules changed the way weapon sizes were handled
                within the game. This option allows the user to choose which version of the
                rules to use within PCGen.

                > 'Allow any range for ability scores'

                This allows for ability scores below 8 and above 18, specifically
                using the optional Point Buy system. Unchecked one cannot create a point buy
                method outside the ranges of 8 and 18. Please note that you must check this
                box, close the preferences and open them back up again before you can create
                a point buy method of any range.

                (Thanks Paul (Yes that Paul), this one was quite difficult to nail down)

                > In the Appearence menu, under Display Options.
                > What does 'Use expert GUI settings' do?

                Still don't know what this does.

                --
                ~ Eddy
                ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
                ~ PCGen BoD Documentation Second
              • Frugal
                Message 7 of 19 , May 5 12:34 AM
                  <quote who="Paul Grosse">

                  > What does 'Add stat bonus to spells known' do? This defaults to off,
                  > is this not part of the regular rules? (forgive me I don't have the
                  > books here at work).
                  >
                  > PG: Yes everyone already covered this. It adds to KNOWN spells for bards
                  > and Sorc using the ability bonus chart

                  This really needs to be renamed, as it stands it reads as though it will
                  add the stat modifier, whereas what it actually does is use teh stat
                  modifier to calculate the number of bonus spells.

                  How about something like "Use Stat modifier to caclulate bonus known spells"?

                  > What does the 'Allow any range for ability scores' checkbox do?
                  >
                  > PG: This allows for ability scores below 8 and above 18, specifically
                  > using the optional Point Buy system

                  Again, this could do with being re-worded to reflect the fact that it only
                  affects the point buy system: 'Allow any range for ability scores in
                  point-buy'

                  --
                  regards,
                  Frugal
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 5 1:31 AM
                    I don't get it. The point-buy system use the
                    system\pointbuymethods*.lst files. If abilities below 8 or above 18
                    are not in this file, how can pcgen knows the cost ?
                    So I guess you have to fill this file with abilities below 8 and/or
                    above 18.
                    Isn't it redondant to have this checkbox ? If abilities outside the
                    standart range are in the pointbuymethods file then allows it, if not
                    don't.

                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:

                    > What does the 'Allow any range for ability scores' checkbox do?
                    >
                    > PG: This allows for ability scores below 8 and above 18,
                    specifically
                    > using the optional Point Buy system
                  • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 5 1:58 AM
                      > What does 'Use expert GUI settings' do?

                      Normally PCGen will remind you if you try to create a "New"
                      character without any sources loaded, to load sources.

                      When this is checked it will just grey out the File-New option and
                      the "New" Toolbar icon.
                      (Presumably this was changed this way because newbies were always
                      asking here why they could not create new characters)

                      The code monkeys involved (Jamey, If I am not mistaken) would know
                      if there is more to it. I suggest you send him a private mail since
                      I have not seen him here for a while.

                      Siggy - Doc Chimp
                    • Eddy Anthony
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 5 5:45 AM
                        Heres the deal: if the point buy system does not spec abilities below 8 or
                        above 18 you cannot have them checked or not. What the checkbox does is
                        allow you to create or modify a point buy method to have abilities outside
                        that range. So it has little to do with using point buy methods and more to
                        do with editing them.

                        On 5/5/04 4:31 AM, "Seb" <sebastien.peslin@...> wrote:

                        > I don't get it. The point-buy system use the
                        > system\pointbuymethods*.lst files. If abilities below 8 or above 18
                        > are not in this file, how can pcgen knows the cost ?
                        > So I guess you have to fill this file with abilities below 8 and/or
                        > above 18.
                        > Isn't it redondant to have this checkbox ? If abilities outside the
                        > standart range are in the pointbuymethods file then allows it, if not
                        > don't.
                        >
                        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> What does the 'Allow any range for ability scores' checkbox do?
                        >>
                        >> PG: This allows for ability scores below 8 and above 18,
                        > specifically
                        >> using the optional Point Buy system

                        --
                        ~ Eddy
                        ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
                        ~ PCGen BoD Documentation Second
                      • Emily Smirle
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 7 6:41 PM
                          Sigurdur H. Olafsson wrote:

                          >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...> wrote:
                          >

                          >> What does 'Use expert GUI settings' do?
                          >>

                          >Normally PCGen will remind you if you try to create a "New"
                          >character without any sources loaded, to load sources.
                          >
                          >When this is checked it will just grey out the File-New option and
                          >the "New" Toolbar icon.
                          >(Presumably this was changed this way because newbies were always
                          >asking here why they could not create new characters)
                          >
                          >The code monkeys involved (Jamey, If I am not mistaken) would know
                          >if there is more to it. I suggest you send him a private mail since
                          >I have not seen him here for a while.

                          There are a few other features, they're along the same lines. Stuff like
                          adding your first character level, it asks if your stats are set the way
                          you want them. Things like that.

                          Every time we get a rash of questions about something in the GUI, and a
                          bunch of old wrinkly PCGeners explaining why things are the way they
                          are, we change the GUI so people stop asking questions, and implement
                          the "Better" way as an "expert" setting so us wrinklies don't have to
                          put up with popups.

                          --
                          Soylant Clear: Clearly less people, Clearly less fat.
                        • Emily Smirle
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 7 6:48 PM
                            Zevious wrote:

                            > What should happen as I understand it:
                            >
                            >10th level Bard, CHA 20 (That'd be mine)
                            >Without check - Known: 4 1st level, 4 each of 2nd & 3rd, and 2 4th level
                            >(since his CHA gives him a bonus 4th level spell, he gets to know 2 of
                            >them. If he only had a 17 CHA or lower, he would not have the bonus cast
                            >spell for 4th level so would not know any of them either).
                            >WITH check - Known: 6 1st level, 5 each of 2nd & 3rd, and 3 4th level.
                            >
                            >The DM that I'm playing the above bard in does allow this optional rule
                            >and my character sheet prints out correctly with the above numbers (6,
                            >5, 5, & 3).

                            That's it in a nutshell. This originally came from discussion over a few
                            feats from the Netbook of Feats, as well as a house rule used in the
                            campeign I was in a year or two ago.

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 7 6:52 PM
                              Sigurdur H. Olafsson wrote:

                              >Bards already get bonus spells to known as per the SRD
                              >(srdbasiccharacterclassesi.rtf):
                              >TABLE: Bard Spells Known
                              >*Provided the bard has sufficient Charisma to have a bonus spell of
                              >this level.

                              Text in this case refers to Bonus Spell(s) Cast (Per Day), not Bonus
                              Spells Known. So, number of times he can *cast* spells of the given
                              level, not what variety of spells of that level he can cast. If that
                              helps clear things up.

                              >So this would only apply to Sorcerers (Or what?)

                              No, both of them. And to 3.5 psionic wariors, and probably a bunch of
                              prestige classes. It doesn't apply to Clerics and Druids, because they
                              each know *all* spells of a level they can cast, they just don't have
                              the religious authority to request them from the relevant deity. Ditto
                              Paladins, Rangers and blackguards. Assasins learn spells like
                              fancy-dressed wizards, but the Mystic Theurge learns like a sorcerer,
                              IIRC. Or can, at any rate.

                              --
                              Soylant Clear: Clearly less people, Clearly less fat.