Re: [pcgen] Re: [5.6.0] Heavy Shield limiting Move ?

  • David Finch
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2004
      Eddy Anthony wrote:

      >>The purpose of heavy is to give a movement penalty for armour.
      >>
      >>If an item has both the "ARMOR" and the "HEAVY" type tag then it is
      >>considered to be heavy armour when calculating the speed of a character.
      >>If you gave a teapot the "HEAVY" and "ARMOUR" types the speed of the
      >>character would be reduced.
      >

      > I see a need for some documentation here. The problem being that there are
      > certain types (like HEAVY) that have deeper implications in the program
      > besides sorting the item in the list and these are not all documented. I've
      > created a new tracker for this:
      >
      > [ 945313 ] Document TYPE's purposes in data files
      >
      > Most objects in PCGen have types assigned to them by the TYPE
      > tag. Specific type names are used for a wide veriety of purposes in
      > PCGen, some are used simply for filtering while others have larger
      > implications in PCGen. For example assigning the TYPE:Heavy to an
      > object tells PCGen to reduce the characters speed, this type is only
      > used for heavy armor. While some of these type are documented
      > well (such as the Container type) many are not. Those types that
      > have under-the-hood uses in PCGen need to be documented so that
      > the LST monkeys can more easily understand when (and when not)
      > to use them.
      >
      > I'll be creating a master list of any types that do more then sort items.
      > Feel free to comment and if anyone knows a way to generate a list like this
      > from the code that would help a lot otherwise I'll be pulling these types
      > from the data and posting requests for help when its not obvious what the
      > type does.

      Would not an extentions something like: (note line unfolded only for clarity)

      TYPE:
      Weapon=Melee,
      WeapProf=Martial,
      Avalabity=Standard,
      AttackType=Bludgeoning,
      Armor=Shield,
      Shield=Heavy

      Fix this. Or may be:

      TYPE:
      Weapon>Melee>Martial>Bludgeoning,
      Avalabity>Standard,
      Armor>Shield,
      Shield>Heavy

      ie the sub-parts of a type are grouped together. Hence Armor heavy would be:

      TYPE:Armor>Heavy

      etc

      --
      David Allan Finch - Unix/X/C++/Java Programmer, and Sys/Mail/DB/Net Admin
      Sun(tm) Certified System Administrator for Solaris(tm) 2.6