Running PCGen from a web server

  • David Young
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2004
      Has anyone been able to run PCGen from a Web server so players have
      a central place to generate/manage pc's for a home game? I looking
      to do that so my players have a consistant data sets and place to
      store the pc's.
    • Kevin Brown
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2004
        > Has anyone been able to run PCGen from a Web server so players have
        > a central place to generate/manage pc's for a home game? I looking
        > to do that so my players have a consistant data sets and place to
        > store the pc's.

        Pulling the data sets from a website shouldn't be hard, but you can't run PCGen
        as a Java applet and so character storage would all be done client side and need
        other things on the site to allow the submission of a character back to the
        webserver for storage.
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2004
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David Young" <dlyoung10@c...> wrote:
          > Has anyone been able to run PCGen from a Web server so players
          have
          > a central place to generate/manage pc's for a home game? I looking
          > to do that so my players have a consistant data sets and place to
          > store the pc's.

          I use www.thegamehub.com for my game, but sadly, while it does
          perform some basic calculations, all the inputs have to be executed
          manually. The convenience is worth it, in my opinion.

          -- mike
        • merton_monk
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2004
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Brown" <kevin_brown@q...> wrote:
            > > Has anyone been able to run PCGen from a Web server so players
            have
            > > a central place to generate/manage pc's for a home game? I
            looking
            > > to do that so my players have a consistant data sets and place to
            > > store the pc's.
            >
            > Pulling the data sets from a website shouldn't be hard, but you
            can't run PCGen
            > as a Java applet and so character storage would all be done client
            side and need
            > other things on the site to allow the submission of a character
            back to the
            > webserver for storage.

            There's a preference you can set so that your PCC files can pull from
            a website. Everyone has to install PCGen on their home PC, and you
            can email them a PCC file that specifies the URL for each of the data
            files you want them to load.

            -Bryan