Re: [pcgen] [OT] 3.5e rules question (mounted ranged attacks)

  • Scott Guthrie
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2004
      Hello Paul,

      PWK> Wow. I hadn't realized that was in the rules. I looked at the FAQ (
      PWK> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a ) and couldn't find
      PWK> anything about ranged combat while mounted. Likewise, the errata (
      PWK> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a ) was mute on ranged
      PWK> combat as well.

      Coincidentally, I had just glanced over issue 304 of Dragon Magazine,
      which addressed this very subject in "Saddle Up: Mounted Combat Rules
      for intelligent characters" pp.42-49, February 2003 (3.0 rules).

      PWK> However, RSRD feats (
      PWK> http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/Feats.rtf ) and
      PWK> mounted combat (
      PWK> http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/CombatII.rtf ), I see
      PWK> the logic of only allowing the 1 melee attack, but allowing a full ranged
      PWK> attack. Just like if you were on foot, if you move more than 5', you can
      PWK> only take 1 melee attack because you have to move to get to you
      PWK> opponent...

      Curiously, the logic was similar to what you suggest, in that the
      single attack is justified because:

      "If the mount moves more than 5 feet any rider can only make a
      single melee attack. Essentially, you have to wait until the
      mount gets to the enemy before attacking, so a rider can't make
      a full melee attack." (p.44)

      PWK> although, I think I could be swayed to allow the full melee
      PWK> attack if you were doing so against multiple opponents as you plow through
      PWK> them (taking the AoOs as required).

      Agreed! Strangely this article (and it appears the rules) in general
      do not address the ability of the mount to remain in motion...
      (except for engendering AoO's). It seems to imply that you ride up to
      the battle (or perhaps even charge), and then stop to fight one
      opponent at a time...Hobilars (sp?) I guess rather than Cavalry!

      Perhaps an adaptation of the Feat "Great Cleave" could be considered
      here "Mounted Cleave"? or "Cavalry Tactics"?

      PWK> However, a ranged attack, your mount is
      PWK> doing the moving, thus freeing yourself to make your ranged attacks. Now,
      PWK> I'd definitely have them make the ride check to see if they can actually
      PWK> make the attacks. Further, as the mount gets closer, you may improve the
      PWK> attack number...getting in PBS range or reducing the range increment.

      Indeed. However, I'd have to say that the SMART character (ok, so
      there aren't many <grin>) would use the mount to stay out of melee
      range, so the point would be moot...right? The article also addresses
      the ride check by saying:

      "With a successful Ride check (DC 5), a rider can guide the mount
      with her knees so as to use both hands to attack or defend herself
      while mounted." (I'm not really sure why she'd want to attack
      herself, but there ya go!) p.44

      So, since any normal non-crossbow is two handed (and I'd argue that so
      are most crossbows...), a Ride check is implicitly required!

      Interestingly, (and I haven't reviewed the PHB or DMG on
      this) there is another paragraph that brings up a curious question...

      "When a rider cannot reach an opponent but the mount can, the
      rider can use ranged combat against that opponent. The normal
      rules for firing into melee apply." p.44

      So, the question then becomes, If the player can't reach the enemy
      BECAUSE of an equipped bow or crossbow...does he get all of his
      attacks as ranged (thus bypassing the limitation above), or just one
      (in melee with a ranged weapon)? Hmmm...

      --
      Best regards,
      Scott