News from the ENWorld Website

  • Paul Grosse
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 6:03 AM
      New at WotC

      Renton, WA - Microsoft proudly announces the acquisition
      of Wizards of the Coast from Hasbro.

      Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates was quoted as saying, "I
      believe the Wizards of the Coast properties are ideal for Xbox
      development." Tabletop card games and Pencil and Paper roleplaying games
      have steadily been declining over the past four years. Electronic
      development of these properties will renew interest in games like Magic:
      The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons. We look forward to serving these
      communities through the Microsoft family of products."

      With Microsoft's successful marketing and development of
      the Windows series of operating systems, gamers can look forward to
      continual upgrades and improvements, beginning with the launch of D&D
      3.501 in Spring, 2006.

      Rumours that Microsoft's intentions to integrate D&D into
      Windows as the default RPG would spark another monopoly inquiry caused
      stirs in the computing industry, and Microsoft's spokesman declined to
      comment, other than to say, "Look, nobody yelled "Monopoly!" when we
      integrated leading games such as Minesweeper, Pinball and Solitaire into
      the software. We believe that upgrading these games to something a
      little more complex is in the interests of the consumer." However, a
      rival RPG company was quoted as saying, "This is ridiculous. Making D&D
      the default Windows RPG is anti-competetive and unfair to all the other
      companies out there producing quality gaming rules." The European
      Commission is already making enquiries, following a recent fine imposed
      on Microsoft for similar practices involving its media player software.

      In other news from WotC, details have emerged from anonymous
      sources about two upcoming products, both scheduled for early 2005:

      * Complete Munchkin: A Player's Guide to Winning for All
      Classes, which is designed to "...even up the score between Dungeon
      Masters and players.." With the "Dungeon Master" prestige class
      (available to any player) and spells such as "Immunity to GM Ruling",
      this product looks likely to change the way in which the game is played.

      * When Worlds Collide, the first in a series of "event
      modules" designed to introduce a major shake-up for both the Forgotten
      Realms and Eberron. Here's a snippet from the product blurb -- "The
      first in an fantastic new series, you will witness firsthand the results
      of this calamitous meeting. And remember... only one world shall stand!"
      Could this be the first step towards a consolidation of product lines
      and campaign worlds?

      d20 System & Open Gaming News

      * Yellow Elk Productions, already known for their
      successful series of licensed RPG supplements, have announced Jinx! d20
      -- "This popular game was just begging for a conversion to the d20
      System. Based on the game already played in countless playgrounds around
      the world, this 240 page hardbound game will appeal to kids the world
      over" The book is to be followed by d20 versions of Paper, Scissors,
      Stone and Pinch, Punch, The First of the Month.
      *
      *
      *
      * April Fools!!

    • Keith Davies
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1 7:46 AM
        On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 09:03:47AM -0500, Paul Grosse wrote:

        > New at WotC
        >
        > Renton, WA - Microsoft proudly announces the acquisition
        > of Wizards of the Coast from Hasbro.

        [bigsnip]

        > *
        > *
        > *
        > * April Fools!!

        No, no, you're not supposed to tell them that.

        Keith
        keith.davies@... Naomi: "Strawberry!"
        me: "What do you say?"
        Naomi: "*MY* strawberry!"
      • Anestis Kozakis
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1 12:41 PM
          At 01:46 2004/04/02, you wrote:
          >On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 09:03:47AM -0500, Paul Grosse wrote:
          > >
          > > New at WotC
          > >
          > > Renton, WA - Microsoft proudly announces the acquisition
          > > of Wizards of the Coast from Hasbro.
          >
          >[bigsnip]
          >
          > > *
          > > *
          > > *
          > > * April Fools!!
          >
          >No, no, you're not supposed to tell them that.

          Also, it don't work on people on the other side of the globe, where it's
          already the 2nd of April here.

          :-/

          >Keith

          Anestis.
        • Darion Shadowkeeper
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2 1:33 AM
            >[SNIP]
            > > > * April Fools!!
            > >
            > >No, no, you're not supposed to tell them that.
            >
            >Also, it don't work on people on the other side of the globe, where it's
            >already the 2nd of April here.

            Or those who saw it yesterday anyway.

            -- Allan