[FREQ] Move Temporary Bonuses tab?

  • tsalla2
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 25, 2004
      Would it be a big deal to move the Temporary Bonuses tab from
      Inventory to the same level as the main tabs? Do others agree this
      would make more sense, or do you like it better where it is?

      Trevor
    • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 26, 2004
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "tsalla2" <tsalla@c...> wrote:
        > Would it be a big deal to move the Temporary Bonuses tab from
        > Inventory to the same level as the main tabs? Do others agree this
        > would make more sense, or do you like it better where it is?
        >
        > Trevor

        I wholeheartedly agree with you it does not belong where it is, but
        OTOH I am not entirly convinced it should become a new main tab.
        What do others think?
      • Frugal
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 26, 2004
          <quote who="Sigurdur H. Olafsson">
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "tsalla2" <tsalla@c...> wrote:
          >> Would it be a big deal to move the Temporary Bonuses tab from
          >> Inventory to the same level as the main tabs? Do others agree this
          >> would make more sense, or do you like it better where it is?
          >>
          >> Trevor
          >
          > I wholeheartedly agree with you it does not belong where it is, but
          > OTOH I am not entirly convinced it should become a new main tab.
          > What do others think?

          Personally I think that both the TempBonuses tab and the Resources tab
          should be top level tabs. My characters cohorts and followers would be
          most annoyed to be refered to as equipment ;O)

          --
          regards,
          Frugal
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 26, 2004
            Frugal wrote:

            > <quote who="Sigurdur H. Olafsson">
            > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "tsalla2" <tsalla@c...> wrote:
            > >> Would it be a big deal to move the Temporary Bonuses tab from
            > >> Inventory to the same level as the main tabs? Do others agree this
            > >> would make more sense, or do you like it better where it is?
            > >>
            > >> Trevor
            > >
            > > I wholeheartedly agree with you it does not belong where it is, but
            > > OTOH I am not entirly convinced it should become a new main tab.
            > > What do others think?
            >
            > Personally I think that both the TempBonuses tab and the Resources tab
            > should be top level tabs. My characters cohorts and followers would be
            > most annoyed to be refered to as equipment ;O)

            How about some form of "consolidating tab" that they could both go
            under... similar to the 4 tabs under gear are.
            I can't think of a good name though... I once suggested a "Character
            Sheet" tab, where these could go as well as a tab or two just displaying
            the data as it "ought" to be displayed in a char sheet, not format, but
            just the values and data.

            One could see before exporting or previewing, possibly play with temp
            bonuses and see the results in the CharSheet tab.

            But aside from that, I don't know of a good name for consolidating these
            "Other" tabs, that don't quite belong where they are, but I don't think
            they qualify as "top level" tabs.

            -Kurt
          • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 26, 2004
              I think the "abilities" button should also be taken into
              consideration if this will be resolved now.

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Kurt Wimmer <kwimmer@r...> wrote:
              > Frugal wrote:
              >

              > > <quote who="Sigurdur H. Olafsson">

              > > > I wholeheartedly agree with you it does not belong where it
              is, but
              > > > OTOH I am not entirly convinced it should become a new main
              tab.
              > > > What do others think?
              > >
              > > Personally I think that both the TempBonuses tab and the
              Resources tab
              > > should be top level tabs. My characters cohorts and followers
              would be
              > > most annoyed to be refered to as equipment ;O)
              > >
              > How about some form of "consolidating tab" that they could both go
              > under... similar to the 4 tabs under gear are.
              > I can't think of a good name though... I once suggested
              a "Character
              > Sheet" tab, where these could go as well as a tab or two just
              displaying
              > the data as it "ought" to be displayed in a char sheet, not
              format, but
              > just the values and data.
              >
              > One could see before exporting or previewing, possibly play with
              temp
              > bonuses and see the results in the CharSheet tab.
              >
              > But aside from that, I don't know of a good name for consolidating
              these
              > "Other" tabs, that don't quite belong where they are, but I don't
              think
              > they qualify as "top level" tabs.
              >
              > -Kurt
            • Frugal
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 26, 2004
                <quote who="Kurt Wimmer">
                > Frugal wrote:
                >> Personally I think that both the TempBonuses tab and the Resources tab
                >> should be top level tabs. My characters cohorts and followers would be
                >> most annoyed to be refered to as equipment ;O)
                >>
                > How about some form of "consolidating tab" that they could both go
                > under... similar to the 4 tabs under gear are.
                > I can't think of a good name though... I once suggested a "Character
                > Sheet" tab, where these could go as well as a tab or two just displaying
                > the data as it "ought" to be displayed in a char sheet, not format, but
                > just the values and data.

                Personally I would like to see the tempary bonuses as a dialog that is
                opened from a button on the summary tab in the same way as the abilities
                dialog is.

                I would also like to see the "resources" subtab renamed to "Companions"
                and made into a top level tab.

                --
                regards,
                Frugal
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 26, 2004
                  > I think the "abilities" button should also be taken into
                  > consideration if this will be resolved now.

                  It already is.. just go into the preferences and display properties and
                  check the "display abilities as tab" option (not sure if that's the
                  actual name of the option, but you get the idea...) :)

                  Barak
                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 26, 2004
                    > I would also like to see the "resources" subtab renamed
                    > to "Companions" and made into a top level tab.

                    Now this I think is a good idea!

                    Barak
                  • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 26, 2004
                      Yes, but it would then kind of defy the original purpose of the tab
                      (which in turn may never happen anyways)

                      See:

                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:

                      > > I would also like to see the "resources" subtab renamed
                      > > to "Companions" and made into a top level tab.
                      >
                      > Now this I think is a good idea!
                      >
                      > Barak
                    • Frugal
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 26, 2004
                        <quote who="Sigurdur H. Olafsson">
                        > Yes, but it would then kind of defy the original purpose of the tab
                        > (which in turn may never happen anyways)

                        What was the original purpose of the resuorces tab ?

                        As far as I can tell it is just for assigning Cohorts, Followers, Mounts
                        and Familiars that are PCGen characters that are related to this one in
                        some way.

                        --
                        regards,
                        Frugal
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 26, 2004
                          Drat, and I wanted a Go-cart.
                          It would be wonderful if this idea were implemented. Then I could complete
                          the Ship construction chapter in the Seafarers Handbook.

                          --
                          ~ Eddy
                          ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 26, 2004
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...> wrote:
                            <snip>
                            One other confusing thing for a user is a mount. It is equipment, but
                            you would never carry or equip it on your character. It isn't an
                            animal companion (at least in my opinion). Also it is there to carry
                            your character and all of the other equipment your character owns.
                            This is not posible at this time.

                            REBeyer
                          • Benjamin Pew
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 26, 2004
                              It is possible. Purchase a mount, and add it to your equipment list as Not
                              Carried. Then you can place any other equipment you wish on the mount, as
                              they are designed as containers. The only issue is for situations where
                              equipment that belongs on the horse (such as a saddle) should give a bonus
                              to the character.

                              One other confusing thing for a user is a mount. It is equipment, but
                              you would never carry or equip it on your character. It isn't an
                              animal companion (at least in my opinion). Also it is there to carry
                              your character and all of the other equipment your character owns.
                              This is not posible at this time.

                              REBeyer

                              PCGen's FAQ:
                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 26, 2004
                                Good point, the resources tab might include a livestock option.
                                (One character in one of our campaigns actually hauled a cart of
                                poultry everywhere he went because the player had calculated that
                                the price for live chicken in 2nd ed. was proportionally way lower
                                than the system´s living expenses :)

                                But seriously something in that vein could be used for standard
                                mounts.

                                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "rebeyer52" <rebeyer@s...> wrote:
                                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...> wrote:
                                > <snip>
                                > One other confusing thing for a user is a mount. It is equipment,
                                but
                                > you would never carry or equip it on your character. It isn't an
                                > animal companion (at least in my opinion). Also it is there to
                                carry
                                > your character and all of the other equipment your character owns.
                                > This is not posible at this time.
                                >
                                > REBeyer
                              • tsalla2
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 26, 2004
                                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "rebeyer52" <rebeyer@s...> wrote:
                                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...> wrote:
                                  > <snip>
                                  > One other confusing thing for a user is a mount. It is equipment, but
                                  > you would never carry or equip it on your character. It isn't an
                                  > animal companion (at least in my opinion). Also it is there to carry
                                  > your character and all of the other equipment your character owns.
                                  > This is not posible at this time.
                                  >
                                  > REBeyer

                                  Yes, this is confusing. However, I noticed my mount's weight is 0 as
                                  far as PC Gen is concerned, and if I equip it, neither the weight of
                                  it nor anything it carries (saddle, bit and bridle, saddlebags, and
                                  everything inside) adds to the character's encumbrance. (Hmm. Wonder
                                  if the character adds to the mount's encumbrance like it should?)
                                  This also may be they only way to fix your ride bonus from a saddle or
                                  military saddle, etc. (once they get that straightened out.)

                                  Don't know the best solution for this.

                                  Maybe a way to equip the mount with a character, but still reference
                                  it from the character? That would also help for those weird
                                  situations where the hulking barbarian or fighter carries the slender
                                  halfling, or gnome, or unconscious friend!

                                  Trevor