RE: [pcgen] Re: Ride Skill

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
      Well, here's the beginning... The -5 for not having a saddle.

      BONUS:VAR|MountSaddle|-5

      A search revesls that there isn't another MOUNTSADDLE variable in the entire
      3.5 .lst set.

      So the saddles need to have BONUS:VAR|MOUNTSADDLE|5 added to their entries
      it looks like.

      Barak
      ~PCGen BoD
      ~OS Silverback

    • Michael Lenehan
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
        So in essence what you're saying is that if I Buy a saddle but no
        horse my Ride skill will go up by 5 points. Shouldn't the negative
        modifier be applied only if I actually BUY a horse but no saddle?

        > Well, here's the beginning... The -5 for not having a saddle.
        >
        > BONUS:VAR|MountSaddle|-5
        >
        > A search revesls that there isn't another MOUNTSADDLE variable in
        the entire
        > 3.5 .lst set.
        >
        > So the saddles need to have BONUS:VAR|MOUNTSADDLE|5 added to their
        entries
        > it looks like.
        >
        > Barak
        > ~PCGen BoD
        > ~OS Silverback

      • Matt Haffner
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
          On Feb 28, 2004, at 11:09 PM, Michael Lenehan wrote:

          > So in essence what you're saying is that if I Buy a saddle but no
          > horse my Ride skill will go up by 5 points. Shouldn't the negative
          > modifier be applied only if I actually BUY a horse but no saddle?

          I was kind of thinking along similar lines when I saw this pop up in
          5.6.

          Having a saddle or not is really a property of the mount you use, not
          the character. Many mounts may not even be owned by the character or
          may just be used temporarily during a session/campaign. It seems much
          more like a circumstantial bonus rather than one that belongs to the
          character. Owning tools to pick locks, make things, or play music is
          something a character would normally carry around, but having a saddle
          on hand for that occasional random ride is not something I normally put
          next to my 10'-pole ;)

          Just my 2cp, of course...

          mh - ZansForCans
          --
          Group Editing & Authoring Support
          flexible campaign management for the web
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004
            I fixed the ride skill problem when I compared the file rsrd_skills.
            lst from 5.6 RC 3 where Ride worked with the 5.6 Prod rsrd_skills.lst
            file and noticed that the Ride skill was missing the following code:

            5.6 Prod version

            BONUS:SKILL|Ride|MountSaddle|TYPE=Circumstance

            5.6 RC3 version

            BONUS:SKILL|Ride|MountSaddle|TYPE=Circumstance|PREAPPLY:PC

            When I commented out the original line and cut&pasted in the line from
            the 5.6 RC3 file, the Ride skill lost the -5 penalty.

            Hope this helps

            Kyle
          • eleran2
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
              I just did the same and can vouch that the -5 penalty is gone from
              the Ride skill. Nice work boskone2.