Ride Skill

  • Michael Lenehan
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
      Just downloaded 5.6,rsrd 3.5 loaded, reloaded my character from
      5.5.8, went to check skills and it shows a -5 misc modifier to my
      Ride skill. This wasnt there with 5.5.8. I dont own a horse or any
      other animal (bi-pedal or otherwise) that it could possibly
      misconstrue as a mount. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or
      do the computer gods hate me, again?
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
        What datasets and game mode were your 5.5.8 character created in? That may
        have something to do with it, but I can't say for certain.

        Paul W. King

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
          Could be your armor??? I know that haveing armor on
          for like swimming makes your ACCCHECK doubled.. So if
          your wearing scall your at a -8(2x-4) before you add
          in your STR. the new version seems to calculate that
          your doing your skills with everything you equip on
          your body so it is calculateing the minuses. try
          taking off your armor and see if the minus changes.

          --- Michael Lenehan <Mlenehan1@...> wrote:
          > Just downloaded 5.6,rsrd 3.5 loaded, reloaded my
          > character from
          > 5.5.8, went to check skills and it shows a -5 misc
          > modifier to my
          > Ride skill. This wasnt there with 5.5.8. I dont own
          > a horse or any
          > other animal (bi-pedal or otherwise) that it could
          > possibly
          > misconstrue as a mount. Is anyone else experiencing
          > this problem or
          > do the computer gods hate me, again?

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
        • eleran2
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
            According to the 3.5 Players Handbook, there are 2 things that cause
            a -5 to ride checks, 1) trying to ride something that is difficult to
            ride such as a biped, 2) riding bareback (without a saddle). I think
            it is likely that PCGen is giving the -5 to ride because you do not
            have a saddle equipped with a mount.

            PS I am getting the same -5 to my ride checks. I am using 3.5 RSRD

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@v...>
            wrote:
            > What datasets and game mode were your 5.5.8 character created in?
            That may
            > have something to do with it, but I can't say for certain.
            >
            > Paul W. King
            > OGL SB, PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, TM Lemur, BoD

          • davelpat
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
              Also using 3.5 rsrd, elf with dex +2, light warhorse with bit and
              military saddle, light armor, light load, getting -3 ride skill. It
              doesn't matter if the saddle is equipped or not, or whether it is in
              the light warhorse "container" I get -3 under all conditions. Is
              there any other information that might help isolate the issue? Or is
              there some particular way that the saddle needs to be equipped on the
              horse?

              Cheers,
              Dave

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "eleran2" <eleran@t...> wrote:
              > According to the 3.5 Players Handbook, there are 2 things that cause
              > a -5 to ride checks, 1) trying to ride something that is difficult
              > ride such as a biped, 2) riding bareback (without a saddle). I
              think
              > it is likely that PCGen is giving the -5 to ride because you do not
              > have a saddle equipped with a mount.
              >
              > PS I am getting the same -5 to my ride checks. I am using 3.5 RSRD
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@v...>
              > > wrote:
              > > What datasets and game mode were your 5.5.8 character created in?
              > > That may have something to do with it, but I can't say for
              > > certain.
              > >
              > > Paul W. King
              > > OGL SB, PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, TM Lemur, BoD

            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
                Hi Dave,

                > Also using 3.5 rsrd, elf with dex +2, light warhorse with bit and
                > military saddle, light armor, light load, getting -3 ride skill. It
                > doesn't matter if the saddle is equipped or not, or whether it is in
                > the light warhorse "container" I get -3 under all conditions. Is
                > there any other information that might help isolate the issue? Or is
                > there some particular way that the saddle needs to be equipped on the
                > horse?

                Does it work with a normal saddle? It might be that the miltary one is not
                recognised, or not coded to offset the penalty...

                James Dempsey
                JDempsey@...
              • davelpat
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
                  My elf was created in 5.5.9 and rebuilt starting from first level with
                  the 5.6.0 release candidates and zip file patches, but I don't think
                  it matters: Using 5.6.0 rsrd, create a new elf cleric with +2 dex,
                  ride skill = -3; add a light warhorse, no change; equip it, no change;
                  add a military saddle, no change; put it "in" the warhorse, no change.
                  The ride skill remains a constant -3.

                  Cheers,
                  Dave

                  wrote:
                  > What datasets and game mode were your 5.5.8 character created in?
                  That may
                  > have something to do with it, but I can't say for certain.
                  >
                  > Paul W. King
                  > OGL SB, PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, TM Lemur, BoD

                • Barak
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
                    Well, here's the beginning... The -5 for not having a saddle.

                    BONUS:VAR|MountSaddle|-5

                    A search revesls that there isn't another MOUNTSADDLE variable in the entire
                    3.5 .lst set.

                    So the saddles need to have BONUS:VAR|MOUNTSADDLE|5 added to their entries
                    it looks like.

                    Barak
                    ~PCGen BoD
                    ~OS Silverback

                  • Michael Lenehan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
                      So in essence what you're saying is that if I Buy a saddle but no
                      horse my Ride skill will go up by 5 points. Shouldn't the negative
                      modifier be applied only if I actually BUY a horse but no saddle?

                      > Well, here's the beginning... The -5 for not having a saddle.
                      >
                      > BONUS:VAR|MountSaddle|-5
                      >
                      > A search revesls that there isn't another MOUNTSADDLE variable in
                      the entire
                      > 3.5 .lst set.
                      >
                      > So the saddles need to have BONUS:VAR|MOUNTSADDLE|5 added to their
                      entries
                      > it looks like.
                      >
                      > Barak
                      > ~PCGen BoD
                      > ~OS Silverback

                    • Matt Haffner
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
                        On Feb 28, 2004, at 11:09 PM, Michael Lenehan wrote:

                        > So in essence what you're saying is that if I Buy a saddle but no
                        > horse my Ride skill will go up by 5 points. Shouldn't the negative
                        > modifier be applied only if I actually BUY a horse but no saddle?

                        I was kind of thinking along similar lines when I saw this pop up in
                        5.6.

                        Having a saddle or not is really a property of the mount you use, not
                        the character. Many mounts may not even be owned by the character or
                        may just be used temporarily during a session/campaign. It seems much
                        more like a circumstantial bonus rather than one that belongs to the
                        character. Owning tools to pick locks, make things, or play music is
                        something a character would normally carry around, but having a saddle
                        on hand for that occasional random ride is not something I normally put
                        next to my 10'-pole ;)

                        Just my 2cp, of course...

                        mh - ZansForCans
                        --
                        Group Editing & Authoring Support
                        flexible campaign management for the web
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004
                          I fixed the ride skill problem when I compared the file rsrd_skills.
                          lst from 5.6 RC 3 where Ride worked with the 5.6 Prod rsrd_skills.lst
                          file and noticed that the Ride skill was missing the following code:

                          5.6 Prod version

                          BONUS:SKILL|Ride|MountSaddle|TYPE=Circumstance

                          5.6 RC3 version

                          BONUS:SKILL|Ride|MountSaddle|TYPE=Circumstance|PREAPPLY:PC

                          When I commented out the original line and cut&pasted in the line from
                          the 5.6 RC3 file, the Ride skill lost the -5 penalty.

                          Hope this helps

                          Kyle
                        • eleran2
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
                            I just did the same and can vouch that the -5 penalty is gone from
                            the Ride skill. Nice work boskone2.