Simple Weapon, Martial Weapon, and Armor proficiencies (3.5ed)

  • CC Noram Carstensen James
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2004
      Folks,

      I'm seeing the argument going back and forth about if proficiencies need
      to be feats or not.

      The people who say "no" have a very convincing argument based on the
      information in the classes, that it grants proficiency but doesn't
      automatically grant feats.

      The people who say "yes" have a very convincing argument based on the
      information in the feats, that classes explicitly gain these as bonus
      feats.

      There seems to be an argument as to who is right. But the point that's
      being missed isn't an either/or. Both can be right, since the rules
      define what is right and the rules define it both ways. So in order for
      the LST to match the rules as set forth by the RSRD, it needs to be both
      ways.

      I here cries of "we shouldn't have double data". I happen to agree.
      But if you don't have double data, then the LST is not a correct
      translations of the rules, and /someone/ will have a problem with it.
      As keeps reoccurring on the Y! group.

      If you /really/ want to be correct, code up the classes to give just
      proficiencies, and the code the feats to grant themselves automagically
      (.MOD to classes listed?), to keep it separate as per the RSRD. I
      personally wouldn't be that precise and just code in the union of both
      rules. (I believe giving the feats grants the appropriate proficiencies
      for the classes listed, covering both parts of the rules.)

      To sum up - this isn't an "us or them", by the rules both are correct,
      and if you want to properly represent the rules you need to have at the
      very least the union of the two rules if not all of the rules
      explicitly.

      Cheers,
      Jim