Re: Favored Enemy Choices [nonPCGEN]

  • Loyal
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
      Since the RSRD specifies that the only enemies you can choose are
      those listed on the table, what happens when a DM wants to customize
      that list? Or when an accessory adds to that list?

      Is there an easy mechanism to modify the existing method of Favored
      Enemy?

      -Loyal
    • Hetter
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
        Paul Grosse wrote:

        >I think you are missing a crucial wording here.
        >
        ><snip of Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse>
        >Favored Enemy (Ex): At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature
        >from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The ranger
        >gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival
        >checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise,
        >he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.
        >At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th
        >level), the ranger *may* select an additional favored enemy from those
        >given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus
        >against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so
        >desired) increases by 2.
        >If the ranger chooses humanoids or outsiders as a favored enemy, he must
        >also choose an associated subtype, as indicated on the table. If a
        >specific creature falls into more than one category of favored enemy,
        >the ranger's bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is
        >higher.
        ></snip of ClassesII.rtf>

        One thing though, Paul.
        <snip of EpicClasses.rtf>

        *Favored Enemy (Ex):* The epic ranger gains one additional favored
        enemy, and his or her bonuses against one category of favored enemies
        goes up by +2, every five levels higher than 20th.

        </snip of EpicClasses.rtf>
        and
        <snip of EpicFeats.rtf>

        BANE OF ENEMIES [EPIC]

        *Prerequisites:* Survival 24 ranks, five or more favored enemies.

        </snip of EpicClasses.rtf>

        I think those two things from the Epic SRD makes it clear the ranger
        chooses a new favored enemy each time.

        --
        Hetter
        Special Projects Silverback
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
          On Feb 2, 2004, at 8:19 AM, Paul Grosse wrote:

          > I think you are missing a crucial wording here.

          may = 'is allowed to'. It also says that for the 1st level pick.
          Finally, it says "...may select an *additional* favored enemy", not any
          you have selected already.

          Even if you want to read it as 'can, if they want to', it does not say
          that if you choose the same enemy you get an bonus +2 by picking the
          same enemy as multiple favorites. Every favored enemy gets the +2
          bonus. Then, it says you get a +2 in addition at each 5th level to
          distribute among your favored enemies. This is not picking them again,
          it's just a bonus you get to distribute to one you've picked already.
          So, if you choose not to pick a favored enemy at 5th level, you sill
          have only a max of +4 for your original pick at 1st level.

          The wording seems very clear to me...

          mh - ZansForCans
          --
          Group Editing & Authoring Support
          flexible campaign management for the web
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
            On Feb 2, 2004, at 11:06 AM, Loyal wrote:

            > Since the RSRD specifies that the only enemies you can choose are
            > those listed on the table, what happens when a DM wants to customize
            > that list? Or when an accessory adds to that list?
            >
            > Is there an easy mechanism to modify the existing method of Favored

            They are hard-coded in the feats_hidden2 file right now. This goes
            along with what I was saying above about separating these out into
            their own LST group with a TYPE modifier. Then you have only one list,
            and in addition, it would be easy to add members to the list with
            editing in one place or by appending through new sources.

            mh - ZansForCans
            --
            Group Editing & Authoring Support
            flexible campaign management for the web
            info :: http://www.codefuries.com/geas.php
            demo :: http://www.codefuries.com/GEAS/public/wot.cgi
          • Jeremy Turnley
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Matt Haffner <haffner@a...> wrote:
              > On Feb 2, 2004, at 8:19 AM, Paul Grosse wrote:
              >
              > > I think you are missing a crucial wording here.
              >
              > may = 'is allowed to'. It also says that for the 1st level pick.
              > Finally, it says "...may select an *additional* favored enemy",
              not any
              > you have selected already.
              >
              > Even if you want to read it as 'can, if they want to', it does not
              say
              > that if you choose the same enemy you get an bonus +2 by picking
              the
              > same enemy as multiple favorites. Every favored enemy gets the +2
              > bonus. Then, it says you get a +2 in addition at each 5th level to
              > distribute among your favored enemies. This is not picking them
              again,
              > it's just a bonus you get to distribute to one you've picked
              already.
              > So, if you choose not to pick a favored enemy at 5th level, you
              sill
              > have only a max of +4 for your original pick at 1st level.
              >
              > The wording seems very clear to me...

              Looking back at them I agree (and was just writing a post saying the
              same thing when yours came in ;) You don't HAVE to take another
              race, but if you do, it has to be a different one from one you
              already have.

              -Illy
            • Loyal
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                It seems very clear that is how it works. (Especially since that is
                what I read the first time, hehehe.)

                You may put the bonus gained at subsequent levels on that initial
                choice, but you don't actually get to select that choice again. The
                wording does show that you could choose not to select another enemy,
                but that reckons back to the "dim bulb" statement from earlier posts.

                -Loyal

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                  Completely agree. Favored Enemy is "working" right now as is, but
                  it's definitely not 100% and could be adjusted to work better for
                  customization and growth.

                  I'll see what I can come up with when I have some free cycles...

                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Matt Haffner <haffner@a...> wrote:

                  > They are hard-coded in the feats_hidden2 file right now. This goes
                  > along with what I was saying above about separating these out into
                  > their own LST group with a TYPE modifier. Then you have only one
                  list,
                  > and in addition, it would be easy to add members to the list with
                  > editing in one place or by appending through new sources.
                  >
                  > mh - ZansForCans
                • Stephen L Johnson
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                    On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 11:11, Hetter wrote:
                    > Paul Grosse wrote:
                    > >At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th
                    > >level), the ranger *may* select an additional favored enemy from
                    > those
                    > >given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus
                    > >against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so
                    > >desired) increases by 2.
                    > ></snip of ClassesII.rtf>
                    > >

                    > One thing though, Paul.
                    > <snip of EpicClasses.rtf>
                    >
                    > *Favored Enemy (Ex):* The epic ranger gains one additional favored
                    > enemy, and his or her bonuses against one category of favored enemies
                    > goes up by +2, every five levels higher than 20th.
                    >
                    > </snip of EpicClasses.rtf>
                    > and
                    > <snip of EpicFeats.rtf>
                    >
                    > BANE OF ENEMIES [EPIC]
                    >
                    > *Prerequisites:* Survival 24 ranks, five or more favored enemies.
                    >
                    > </snip of EpicClasses.rtf>
                    >
                    > I think those two things from the Epic SRD makes it clear the ranger
                    > chooses a new favored enemy each time.

                    I agree with Hetter. I think you are reading too much into wording. To
                    me the RSD passage says:

                    if RangerLevel >= 5 and a multiple of 5 then
                    if ( Desired ) then
                    Choice Another Favored Enemy
                    else
                    NOP ; do nothing

                    --
                    Stephen L Johnson <sjohnson@...>

                    "Never tangle with a geek when source code is on the line." - Frank
                    Sorenson
                  • Matt Haffner
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 5, 2004
                      On Feb 2, 2004, at 12:40 AM, Matt Haffner wrote:

                      > All that being said, I think I hit a real bug when testing. I added 6
                      > ranger levels and got to select my 2 favored enemies and the 5th level
                      > bonus without trouble. Then I added 4 more levels. The favored enemy
                      > box came up OK, but the bonus box only listed the 2nd and 3rd favored
                      > enemies for selection. Can someone else confirm this (5.5.9). I'll put
                      > up the tracker for it.

                      This was originally something I posted up in the favored enemy thread.
                      I think I found this bug.

                      The "Bonus to xxx Favored Enemy" feats in rsrd_feats_hidden2 need
                      MULT:YES tags. Otherwise, you never can pick the same bonus more than
                      once.

                      Do they need STACK:YES as well? Or does the
                      TYPE=FavoredEnemyBonus.STACK take care of that completely?

                      DM #891515

                      I P9'ed it because it's potentially very limiting to Rangers. I hope
                      that wasn't too presumtuous!

                      mh - ZansForCans