Using PC Gen with Windows ME

  • Eleanor
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hello;

      I have downloaded the newest version of PC Gen (5.5.9), and am trying to run
      it on a PC with factory installed Windows ME. (I know ME has a bad rep.,
      but I've not really had a problem with it before. Of course, I've not tried
      to do anything like this before, either.) I have also downloaded the most
      recent version of Java (J2SDK 1.4.2 03).

      Is it possible to run PC Gen on this platform? The directions which I found
      indicated that all that once the files were unzipped into a folder, all that
      had to be done was to double-click on either pcgen.jar or pcgen.bat, and PC
      Gen should work. Instead, I get the following error messages:

      Using pcgen.jar:

      "Assertion failed! Program:C\PROGRAMFILES\JAVA\J2RE1.4.2_03BIN\JAVA.EXE

      File: ../../../src/share/native/sunawt/font/fontmanage...

      Line: 418

      Expression: offset < fFileSize

      For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see the
      Visual C++ documentation on asserts

      (Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled)

      Pressing Retry produces the following error message (I checked my Internet
      Explorer options - about the extent of my troubleshooting skills - and JIT
      is enabled):

      Javaw has caused an error in MSVCRT.DLL. Javaw will now close.

      If you continue to experience...etc.

      When I select pcgen.bat, the MS DOS window opens, and I see the following:

      C:\Program Files\D&D\PC GEN>java -jar pcgen.jar

      Assertion Filed: offset < fFileSize, file
      ../../../src/share/native/sun/awt/font/fontmanager/fontobjects/fontObject.cp
      p, line 418

      abnormal program termination

      I am not at all familiar with java, and am not even certain if this problem
      is in java, or PC Gen, or Windows. Does anyone have any suggestions,
      PLEASE?!

      Thank you.

      Cheers,

      Eleanor

      Est nullum problema tantum ut usu vis maximae idonei expediri non possit.

    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
        Hi Eleanor,

        Quoting Eleanor <eleanor_h@...>:

        > Hello;
        >
        > I have downloaded the newest version of PC Gen (5.5.9), and am trying to
        > run
        > it on a PC with factory installed Windows ME. (I know ME has a bad rep.,
        > but I've not really had a problem with it before. Of course, I've not
        > tried
        > to do anything like this before, either.) I have also downloaded the most
        > recent version of Java (J2SDK 1.4.2 03).

        Sounds like you have done the right things so far.

        > Is it possible to run PC Gen on this platform? The directions which I
        > found
        > indicated that all that once the files were unzipped into a folder, all
        > that
        > had to be done was to double-click on either pcgen.jar or pcgen.bat, and PC
        > Gen should work. Instead, I get the following error messages:

        It should be working, yes.

        > Using pcgen.jar:
        >
        > "Assertion failed! Program:C\PROGRAMFILES\JAVA\J2RE1.4.2_03BIN\JAVA.EXE
        >
        > File: ../../../src/share/native/sunawt/font/fontmanage...

        [snip]

        > I am not at all familiar with java, and am not even certain if this problem
        > is in java, or PC Gen, or Windows. Does anyone have any suggestions,
        > PLEASE?!

        This is generally a problem with some of the installed fonts on your computer.
        Check out the info at http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,26560,00.html
        - it relates to another Java program, but the underlying issue is fonts not
        playing nice with Java, so the same suggestions should help.

        Cheers,
        James Dempsey
        PCGen Code Monkey
        jdempsey@...