Re: [pcgen] Re: Favored Enemy Choices

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 31, 2004
      Hi Loyal,

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Loyal" <loyalp@...>
      To: <pcgen@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 1:46 PM
      Subject: [pcgen] Re: Favored Enemy Choices

      > Here's relevant text from the RSRD:
      >
      > "Favored Enemy (Ex): At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of
      > creature from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The
      > ranger gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and
      > Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this
      > type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against
      > such creatures.
      > At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th
      > level), the ranger may select an additional favored enemy from those
      > given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus
      > against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so
      > desired) increases by 2."
      >
      > So, yep, I'm wrong in my thinking. And to be honest, I completely
      > don't understand what they've written here! My interpretation is
      > that you get the base +2 bonus whenever an enemy is selected, and you
      > also get another +2 to allocate every 5 levels. But maybe you only
      > get a flat +2 to play with at every favored enemy choice? If I have
      > a 5th level ranger how does it work:
      >
      > 1st Enemy +4
      > 2nd Enemy +2
      >
      > or
      >
      > 1st Enemy +2
      > 2nd Enemy +4

      The way I read it you have a choice of these two above. You *must* add a
      *new* enemy type and then you must choose one of your enemy types to add
      another +2 to your benefits. So at 10th level you would have 3 types of
      favoured enemies, each at a minimum of +2, but you have 2 other +2s to
      spread around. So you could have 1 at +2 and 2 at +4 or 2 at +2 and the
      other at +6

      > or
      >
      > 1st Enemy +2
      > 2nd Enemy +2
      >
      > or
      >
      > 1st Enemy +4
      > 2nd Enemy +0

      Nope these would not be legal.

      > or what? This wording is exceptionally poor...
      >
      > This is really bizarre because if it works like I think it works,
      > then you would really be a dim bulb to choose the same favored enemy
      > again...

      I guess the key thing is that there are 2 choices - the first from the set
      of all enemies except the ones you already have, and the second choice from
      the set of favoured enemies you already have (including the one chosen in
      the first choice).

      James Dempsey
      JDempsey@...
      PCGEN Code Monkey
    • notmousse@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 1, 2004
        loyalp sez...

        'So, yep, I'm wrong in my thinking. And to be honest, I completely don't
        understand what they've written here! My interpretation is that you get the base
        +2 bonus whenever an enemy is selected, and you also get another +2 to
        allocate every 5 levels.'

        Sounds like you got it right. You pick an enemy to get your bonuses from,
        then the next time you pick another enemy. On top of the second enemy you
        picked you get another +2 for an enemy you've already selected.

        So you could have this:

        1st enemy dorks +2
        5th enemy dorks +4, spasses +2

        or

        1st enemy dorks +2
        5th enemy dorks +2, spasses +4

        And at higher levels you could put all your bonuses (bonii?) towards one
        enemy type (jocks) for a +10 hee hee.

        NotMousse
        TM Tamarin

        what's the point?

      • Kuni Tetsu
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 1, 2004
          At 01:59 PM 2/1/2004 +1100, you wrote:
          > > 1st Enemy +4
          > > 2nd Enemy +2
          > >
          > > or
          > >
          > > 1st Enemy +2
          > > 2nd Enemy +4
          > >
          >The way I read it you have a choice of these two above. You *must* add a
          >*new* enemy type and then you must choose one of your enemy types to add
          >another +2 to your benefits. So at 10th level you would have 3 types of
          >favoured enemies, each at a minimum of +2, but you have 2 other +2s to
          >spread around. So you could have 1 at +2 and 2 at +4 or 2 at +2 and the
          >other at +6

          More specifically, you cannot put the +6 on the 3rd Enemy, but you could on
          either of the other two. When the third enemy is chosen, it gets an initial
          value of +2 and you can add the "bump-up" to it, but you could not add the
          bump-up from 5th level.
        • Loyal
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 1, 2004
            And that's the reasoning for my original post about the CHOOSE tag
            and removing the original enemy selection from subsequent
            selections. I was blown away at the posts asking what the heck I was
            talking about.

            ;-)

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, notmousse@a... wrote:
            > loyalp sez...
            >
            > 'So, yep, I'm wrong in my thinking. And to be honest, I completely
            don't
            > understand what they've written here! My interpretation is that
            you get the base
            > +2 bonus whenever an enemy is selected, and you also get another +2
            > allocate every 5 levels.'
            >
            > Sounds like you got it right. You pick an enemy to get your
            bonuses from,
            > then the next time you pick another enemy. On top of the second
            enemy you
            > picked you get another +2 for an enemy you've already selected.

          • Matt Haffner
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 1, 2004
              Personally, I think we really need two CHOOSE boxes here to make it
              clear to the user what they are doing. The first is the new enemy
              selection and should consist of a choose box with enemies the ranger
              has NOT yet selected. The selected enemy gets a +2 bonus. Then, for
              every level but first, a second box should come up with the ranger's
              current selections (including the one just chosen moments ago) to
              assign the additional +2 'free' bonus.

              Programatically, there are a few choices to make this easier on the
              tags, but I'm not an expert on what syntax is already coded. I'm out of
              time right now, but I'll try to plunk down an idea or two I had later.

              On Feb 1, 2004, at 11:40 AM, Loyal wrote:

              > And that's the reasoning for my original post about the CHOOSE tag
              > and removing the original enemy selection from subsequent
              > selections. I was blown away at the posts asking what the heck I was
              > talking about.
              >
              > ;-)
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, notmousse@a... wrote:
              >> loyalp sez...
              >>
              >> 'So, yep, I'm wrong in my thinking. And to be honest, I completely
              > don't
              >> understand what they've written here! My interpretation is that
              > you get the base
              >> +2 bonus whenever an enemy is selected, and you also get another +2
              >> allocate every 5 levels.'
              >>
              >> Sounds like you got it right. You pick an enemy to get your
              > bonuses from,
              >> then the next time you pick another enemy. On top of the second
              > enemy you
              >> picked you get another +2 for an enemy you've already selected.

              mh - ZansForCans
              --
              Group Editing & Authoring Support
              flexible campaign management for the web
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 1, 2004
                Uh, there are two boxes coming up, and it is working this way.
                That's what I tried to mention in my initial post.

                The only piece not working is the choosing of enemies that are NOT
                yet selected. Hence my original question here about making CHOOSE
                somehow do that. It would be a programmatic change then, and not
                some sort of existing feature to the CHOOSE tag?

                I feel like I've now gone full circle and come back to my original
                post...

                -Loyal

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 1, 2004
                  On Feb 1, 2004, at 4:39 PM, Loyal wrote:
                  > Uh, there are two boxes coming up, and it is working this way.
                  > That's what I tried to mention in my initial post.
                  >
                  > The only piece not working is the choosing of enemies that are NOT
                  > yet selected. Hence my original question here about making CHOOSE
                  > somehow do that. It would be a programmatic change then, and not
                  > some sort of existing feature to the CHOOSE tag?

                  That's what I get for talking out of my butt without trying it myself
                  :/ I was interpolating from the postings. Sorry.

                  I certainly don't know enough LST syntax yet myself to know if that can
                  be done, but it seems to me more like something that would have to come
                  from code. Looking at what's there now, I was a bit surprised to see
                  the favored enemy list explicitly there repeated for each favored
                  enemy. Wouldn't it be safer to make that list a group of items with a
                  new type and then specified only once?

                  One thing that might help is to make it work kind of like the Languages
                  chooser where an already selected item is listed in the lower box even
                  if you invoke the chooser some time later. But that box also does not
                  exclude items from the upper list that are already in the lower. Maybe
                  this is a general feature of choosers that could be added?

                  I think it also would be very helpful if the entries for the bonus box
                  resolved to the actual enemies you've chosen. I'll try to FREQ this if
                  it's not around already...

                  All that being said, I think I hit a real bug when testing. I added 6
                  ranger levels and got to select my 2 favored enemies and the 5th level
                  bonus without trouble. Then I added 4 more levels. The favored enemy
                  box came up OK, but the bonus box only listed the 2nd and 3rd favored
                  enemies for selection. Can someone else confirm this (5.5.9). I'll put
                  up the tracker for it.

                  mh - ZansForCans
                  --
                  Group Editing & Authoring Support
                  flexible campaign management for the web
                  info :: http://www.codefuries.com/geas.php
                  demo :: http://www.codefuries.com/GEAS/public/wot.cgi
                • Paul Grosse
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                    I think you are missing a crucial wording here.

                    <snip of Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse>
                    Favored Enemy (Ex): At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature
                    from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The ranger
                    gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival
                    checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise,
                    he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.
                    At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th
                    level), the ranger *may* select an additional favored enemy from those
                    given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus
                    against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so
                    desired) increases by 2.
                    If the ranger chooses humanoids or outsiders as a favored enemy, he must
                    also choose an associated subtype, as indicated on the table. If a
                    specific creature falls into more than one category of favored enemy,
                    the ranger's bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is
                    higher.
                    </snip of ClassesII.rtf>

                    Look at the emphasis that I included the word "may" suggests that the
                    person doesn't HAVE to pick another enemy he can choose the same enemy
                    again. So you would have the following.

                    1st level, Dragons +2
                    5th level, Dragons +6 (+2 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for previous
                    selection)
                    10th level, Dragons +10 (+6 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for
                    previous selection)
                    15th level, Dragons +14 (+10 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for
                    previous selection)
                    20th level, Dragons +18 (+14 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for
                    previous selection)

                    So if a ranger only wanted to focus on one enemy it would get very nasty
                    :)

                    Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
                    PCGen OGL Chimp & LST Lemur-in-training
                    ICQ: 14397299
                    AO: Nylan
                    Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

                    "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to
                    keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein
                  • magus1972
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:

                      <SNIP!>

                      > again. So you would have the following.
                      >
                      > 1st level, Dragons +2
                      > 5th level, Dragons +6 (+2 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for
                      previous
                      > selection)
                      > 10th level, Dragons +10 (+6 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for
                      > previous selection)
                      > 15th level, Dragons +14 (+10 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for
                      > previous selection)
                      > 20th level, Dragons +18 (+14 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for
                      > previous selection)

                      Alternately:

                      1st Level, Dragons +2
                      5th Level, Dragons +6 (+2 for 2nd enemy, +4 for 1st enemy)
                      10th Level, Dragons +12 (+2 for 3rd enemy, +4 for 2nd enemy, +6 for
                      3rd enemy)
                      15th Level, Dragons +20 (+2 for 4th enemy, +4 for 3rd enemy, +6 for
                      2nd enemy, +8 for 1st enemy)
                      20th Level, Dragons +30 (+2 for 5th enemy, +4 for 4th enemy, +6 for
                      3rd enemy, +8 for 2nd enemy, +10 for 1st enemy)

                      > So if a ranger only wanted to focus on one enemy it would get very
                      nasty
                      > :)

                      Nasty indeed!

                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                        Since the RSRD specifies that the only enemies you can choose are
                        those listed on the table, what happens when a DM wants to customize
                        that list? Or when an accessory adds to that list?

                        Is there an easy mechanism to modify the existing method of Favored
                        Enemy?

                        -Loyal
                      • Hetter
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                          Paul Grosse wrote:

                          >I think you are missing a crucial wording here.
                          >
                          ><snip of Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse>
                          >Favored Enemy (Ex): At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature
                          >from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The ranger
                          >gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival
                          >checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise,
                          >he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.
                          >At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th
                          >level), the ranger *may* select an additional favored enemy from those
                          >given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus
                          >against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so
                          >desired) increases by 2.
                          >If the ranger chooses humanoids or outsiders as a favored enemy, he must
                          >also choose an associated subtype, as indicated on the table. If a
                          >specific creature falls into more than one category of favored enemy,
                          >the ranger's bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is
                          >higher.
                          ></snip of ClassesII.rtf>

                          One thing though, Paul.
                          <snip of EpicClasses.rtf>

                          *Favored Enemy (Ex):* The epic ranger gains one additional favored
                          enemy, and his or her bonuses against one category of favored enemies
                          goes up by +2, every five levels higher than 20th.

                          </snip of EpicClasses.rtf>
                          and
                          <snip of EpicFeats.rtf>

                          BANE OF ENEMIES [EPIC]

                          *Prerequisites:* Survival 24 ranks, five or more favored enemies.

                          </snip of EpicClasses.rtf>

                          I think those two things from the Epic SRD makes it clear the ranger
                          chooses a new favored enemy each time.

                          --
                          Hetter
                          Special Projects Silverback
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                            On Feb 2, 2004, at 8:19 AM, Paul Grosse wrote:

                            > I think you are missing a crucial wording here.

                            may = 'is allowed to'. It also says that for the 1st level pick.
                            Finally, it says "...may select an *additional* favored enemy", not any
                            you have selected already.

                            Even if you want to read it as 'can, if they want to', it does not say
                            that if you choose the same enemy you get an bonus +2 by picking the
                            same enemy as multiple favorites. Every favored enemy gets the +2
                            bonus. Then, it says you get a +2 in addition at each 5th level to
                            distribute among your favored enemies. This is not picking them again,
                            it's just a bonus you get to distribute to one you've picked already.
                            So, if you choose not to pick a favored enemy at 5th level, you sill
                            have only a max of +4 for your original pick at 1st level.

                            The wording seems very clear to me...

                            mh - ZansForCans
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                              On Feb 2, 2004, at 11:06 AM, Loyal wrote:

                              > Since the RSRD specifies that the only enemies you can choose are
                              > those listed on the table, what happens when a DM wants to customize
                              > that list? Or when an accessory adds to that list?
                              >
                              > Is there an easy mechanism to modify the existing method of Favored

                              They are hard-coded in the feats_hidden2 file right now. This goes
                              along with what I was saying above about separating these out into
                              their own LST group with a TYPE modifier. Then you have only one list,
                              and in addition, it would be easy to add members to the list with
                              editing in one place or by appending through new sources.

                              mh - ZansForCans
                              --
                              Group Editing & Authoring Support
                              flexible campaign management for the web
                              info :: http://www.codefuries.com/geas.php
                              demo :: http://www.codefuries.com/GEAS/public/wot.cgi
                            • Jeremy Turnley
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Matt Haffner <haffner@a...> wrote:
                                > On Feb 2, 2004, at 8:19 AM, Paul Grosse wrote:
                                >
                                > > I think you are missing a crucial wording here.
                                >
                                > may = 'is allowed to'. It also says that for the 1st level pick.
                                > Finally, it says "...may select an *additional* favored enemy",
                                not any
                                > you have selected already.
                                >
                                > Even if you want to read it as 'can, if they want to', it does not
                                say
                                > that if you choose the same enemy you get an bonus +2 by picking
                                the
                                > same enemy as multiple favorites. Every favored enemy gets the +2
                                > bonus. Then, it says you get a +2 in addition at each 5th level to
                                > distribute among your favored enemies. This is not picking them
                                again,
                                > it's just a bonus you get to distribute to one you've picked
                                already.
                                > So, if you choose not to pick a favored enemy at 5th level, you
                                sill
                                > have only a max of +4 for your original pick at 1st level.
                                >
                                > The wording seems very clear to me...

                                Looking back at them I agree (and was just writing a post saying the
                                same thing when yours came in ;) You don't HAVE to take another
                                race, but if you do, it has to be a different one from one you
                                already have.

                                -Illy
                              • Loyal
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                                  It seems very clear that is how it works. (Especially since that is
                                  what I read the first time, hehehe.)

                                  You may put the bonus gained at subsequent levels on that initial
                                  choice, but you don't actually get to select that choice again. The
                                  wording does show that you could choose not to select another enemy,
                                  but that reckons back to the "dim bulb" statement from earlier posts.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                                    Completely agree. Favored Enemy is "working" right now as is, but
                                    it's definitely not 100% and could be adjusted to work better for
                                    customization and growth.

                                    I'll see what I can come up with when I have some free cycles...

                                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Matt Haffner <haffner@a...> wrote:

                                    > They are hard-coded in the feats_hidden2 file right now. This goes
                                    > along with what I was saying above about separating these out into
                                    > their own LST group with a TYPE modifier. Then you have only one
                                    list,
                                    > and in addition, it would be easy to add members to the list with
                                    > editing in one place or by appending through new sources.
                                    >
                                    > mh - ZansForCans
                                  • Stephen L Johnson
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                                      On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 11:11, Hetter wrote:
                                      > Paul Grosse wrote:
                                      > >At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th
                                      > >level), the ranger *may* select an additional favored enemy from
                                      > those
                                      > >given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus
                                      > >against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so
                                      > >desired) increases by 2.
                                      > ></snip of ClassesII.rtf>
                                      > >

                                      > One thing though, Paul.
                                      > <snip of EpicClasses.rtf>
                                      >
                                      > *Favored Enemy (Ex):* The epic ranger gains one additional favored
                                      > enemy, and his or her bonuses against one category of favored enemies
                                      > goes up by +2, every five levels higher than 20th.
                                      >
                                      > </snip of EpicClasses.rtf>
                                      > and
                                      > <snip of EpicFeats.rtf>
                                      >
                                      > BANE OF ENEMIES [EPIC]
                                      >
                                      > *Prerequisites:* Survival 24 ranks, five or more favored enemies.
                                      >
                                      > </snip of EpicClasses.rtf>
                                      >
                                      > I think those two things from the Epic SRD makes it clear the ranger
                                      > chooses a new favored enemy each time.

                                      I agree with Hetter. I think you are reading too much into wording. To
                                      me the RSD passage says:

                                      if RangerLevel >= 5 and a multiple of 5 then
                                      if ( Desired ) then
                                      Choice Another Favored Enemy
                                      else
                                      NOP ; do nothing

                                      --
                                      Stephen L Johnson <sjohnson@...>

                                      "Never tangle with a geek when source code is on the line." - Frank
                                      Sorenson
                                    • Matt Haffner
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 5, 2004
                                        On Feb 2, 2004, at 12:40 AM, Matt Haffner wrote:

                                        > All that being said, I think I hit a real bug when testing. I added 6
                                        > ranger levels and got to select my 2 favored enemies and the 5th level
                                        > bonus without trouble. Then I added 4 more levels. The favored enemy
                                        > box came up OK, but the bonus box only listed the 2nd and 3rd favored
                                        > enemies for selection. Can someone else confirm this (5.5.9). I'll put
                                        > up the tracker for it.

                                        This was originally something I posted up in the favored enemy thread.
                                        I think I found this bug.

                                        The "Bonus to xxx Favored Enemy" feats in rsrd_feats_hidden2 need
                                        MULT:YES tags. Otherwise, you never can pick the same bonus more than
                                        once.

                                        Do they need STACK:YES as well? Or does the
                                        TYPE=FavoredEnemyBonus.STACK take care of that completely?

                                        DM #891515

                                        I P9'ed it because it's potentially very limiting to Rangers. I hope
                                        that wasn't too presumtuous!

                                        mh - ZansForCans