Re: Favored Enemy Choices

  • Loyal
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 31, 2004
      Here's relevant text from the RSRD:

      "Favored Enemy (Ex): At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of
      creature from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The
      ranger gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and
      Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this
      type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against
      such creatures.
      At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th
      level), the ranger may select an additional favored enemy from those
      given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus
      against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so
      desired) increases by 2."

      So, yep, I'm wrong in my thinking. And to be honest, I completely
      don't understand what they've written here! My interpretation is
      that you get the base +2 bonus whenever an enemy is selected, and you
      also get another +2 to allocate every 5 levels. But maybe you only
      get a flat +2 to play with at every favored enemy choice? If I have
      a 5th level ranger how does it work:

      1st Enemy +4
      2nd Enemy +2

      or

      1st Enemy +2
      2nd Enemy +4

      or

      1st Enemy +2
      2nd Enemy +2

      or

      1st Enemy +4
      2nd Enemy +0

      or what? This wording is exceptionally poor...

      This is really bizarre because if it works like I think it works,
      then you would really be a dim bulb to choose the same favored enemy
      again...

      -Loyal

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Turnley" <jeremyturnley@h...>
      wrote:
      > That's why I was asking, too. It's not very bright to choose the
      > same race twice, but there's nothing stopping you.
      >
      > -Illy
      >
      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@v...> wrote:
      > > But you can choose the same favored enemy again under 3.5, so why
      > would you
      > > want to exclude a previously chosen one?
      > >
      > > Barak
      > > ~PCGen BoD
      > > ~OS Silverback

    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 31, 2004
        Hi Loyal,

        > "Favored Enemy (Ex): At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of
        > creature from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The
        > ranger gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and
        > Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this
        > type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against
        > such creatures.
        > At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th
        > level), the ranger may select an additional favored enemy from those
        > given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus
        > against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so
        > desired) increases by 2."
        >
        > So, yep, I'm wrong in my thinking. And to be honest, I completely
        > don't understand what they've written here! My interpretation is
        > that you get the base +2 bonus whenever an enemy is selected, and you
        > also get another +2 to allocate every 5 levels. But maybe you only
        > get a flat +2 to play with at every favored enemy choice? If I have
        > a 5th level ranger how does it work:
        >
        > 1st Enemy +4
        > 2nd Enemy +2
        >
        > or
        >
        > 1st Enemy +2
        > 2nd Enemy +4

        The way I read it you have a choice of these two above. You *must* add a
        *new* enemy type and then you must choose one of your enemy types to add
        another +2 to your benefits. So at 10th level you would have 3 types of
        favoured enemies, each at a minimum of +2, but you have 2 other +2s to
        spread around. So you could have 1 at +2 and 2 at +4 or 2 at +2 and the
        other at +6

        > or
        >
        > 1st Enemy +2
        > 2nd Enemy +2
        >
        > or
        >
        > 1st Enemy +4
        > 2nd Enemy +0

        Nope these would not be legal.

        > or what? This wording is exceptionally poor...
        >
        > This is really bizarre because if it works like I think it works,
        > then you would really be a dim bulb to choose the same favored enemy
        > again...

        I guess the key thing is that there are 2 choices - the first from the set
        of all enemies except the ones you already have, and the second choice from
        the set of favoured enemies you already have (including the one chosen in
        the first choice).

        James Dempsey
        JDempsey@...
        PCGEN Code Monkey
      • notmousse@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 1, 2004
          loyalp sez...

          'So, yep, I'm wrong in my thinking. And to be honest, I completely don't
          understand what they've written here! My interpretation is that you get the base
          +2 bonus whenever an enemy is selected, and you also get another +2 to
          allocate every 5 levels.'

          Sounds like you got it right. You pick an enemy to get your bonuses from,
          then the next time you pick another enemy. On top of the second enemy you
          picked you get another +2 for an enemy you've already selected.

          So you could have this:

          1st enemy dorks +2
          5th enemy dorks +4, spasses +2

          or

          1st enemy dorks +2
          5th enemy dorks +2, spasses +4

          And at higher levels you could put all your bonuses (bonii?) towards one
          enemy type (jocks) for a +10 hee hee.

          NotMousse
          TM Tamarin

          what's the point?

        • Kuni Tetsu
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 1, 2004
            At 01:59 PM 2/1/2004 +1100, you wrote:
            > > 1st Enemy +4
            > > 2nd Enemy +2
            > >
            > > or
            > >
            > > 1st Enemy +2
            > > 2nd Enemy +4
            > >
            >The way I read it you have a choice of these two above. You *must* add a
            >*new* enemy type and then you must choose one of your enemy types to add
            >another +2 to your benefits. So at 10th level you would have 3 types of
            >favoured enemies, each at a minimum of +2, but you have 2 other +2s to
            >spread around. So you could have 1 at +2 and 2 at +4 or 2 at +2 and the
            >other at +6

            More specifically, you cannot put the +6 on the 3rd Enemy, but you could on
            either of the other two. When the third enemy is chosen, it gets an initial
            value of +2 and you can add the "bump-up" to it, but you could not add the
            bump-up from 5th level.
          • Loyal
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 1, 2004
              And that's the reasoning for my original post about the CHOOSE tag
              and removing the original enemy selection from subsequent
              selections. I was blown away at the posts asking what the heck I was
              talking about.

              ;-)

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, notmousse@a... wrote:
              > loyalp sez...
              >
              > 'So, yep, I'm wrong in my thinking. And to be honest, I completely
              don't
              > understand what they've written here! My interpretation is that
              you get the base
              > +2 bonus whenever an enemy is selected, and you also get another +2
              > allocate every 5 levels.'
              >
              > Sounds like you got it right. You pick an enemy to get your
              bonuses from,
              > then the next time you pick another enemy. On top of the second
              enemy you
              > picked you get another +2 for an enemy you've already selected.

            • Matt Haffner
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 1, 2004
                Personally, I think we really need two CHOOSE boxes here to make it
                clear to the user what they are doing. The first is the new enemy
                selection and should consist of a choose box with enemies the ranger
                has NOT yet selected. The selected enemy gets a +2 bonus. Then, for
                every level but first, a second box should come up with the ranger's
                current selections (including the one just chosen moments ago) to
                assign the additional +2 'free' bonus.

                Programatically, there are a few choices to make this easier on the
                tags, but I'm not an expert on what syntax is already coded. I'm out of
                time right now, but I'll try to plunk down an idea or two I had later.

                On Feb 1, 2004, at 11:40 AM, Loyal wrote:

                > And that's the reasoning for my original post about the CHOOSE tag
                > and removing the original enemy selection from subsequent
                > selections. I was blown away at the posts asking what the heck I was
                > talking about.
                >
                > ;-)
                >
                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, notmousse@a... wrote:
                >> loyalp sez...
                >>
                >> 'So, yep, I'm wrong in my thinking. And to be honest, I completely
                > don't
                >> understand what they've written here! My interpretation is that
                > you get the base
                >> +2 bonus whenever an enemy is selected, and you also get another +2
                >> allocate every 5 levels.'
                >>
                >> Sounds like you got it right. You pick an enemy to get your
                > bonuses from,
                >> then the next time you pick another enemy. On top of the second
                > enemy you
                >> picked you get another +2 for an enemy you've already selected.

                mh - ZansForCans
                --
                Group Editing & Authoring Support
                flexible campaign management for the web
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 1, 2004
                  Uh, there are two boxes coming up, and it is working this way.
                  That's what I tried to mention in my initial post.

                  The only piece not working is the choosing of enemies that are NOT
                  yet selected. Hence my original question here about making CHOOSE
                  somehow do that. It would be a programmatic change then, and not
                  some sort of existing feature to the CHOOSE tag?

                  I feel like I've now gone full circle and come back to my original
                  post...

                  -Loyal

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 1, 2004
                    On Feb 1, 2004, at 4:39 PM, Loyal wrote:
                    > Uh, there are two boxes coming up, and it is working this way.
                    > That's what I tried to mention in my initial post.
                    >
                    > The only piece not working is the choosing of enemies that are NOT
                    > yet selected. Hence my original question here about making CHOOSE
                    > somehow do that. It would be a programmatic change then, and not
                    > some sort of existing feature to the CHOOSE tag?

                    That's what I get for talking out of my butt without trying it myself
                    :/ I was interpolating from the postings. Sorry.

                    I certainly don't know enough LST syntax yet myself to know if that can
                    be done, but it seems to me more like something that would have to come
                    from code. Looking at what's there now, I was a bit surprised to see
                    the favored enemy list explicitly there repeated for each favored
                    enemy. Wouldn't it be safer to make that list a group of items with a
                    new type and then specified only once?

                    One thing that might help is to make it work kind of like the Languages
                    chooser where an already selected item is listed in the lower box even
                    if you invoke the chooser some time later. But that box also does not
                    exclude items from the upper list that are already in the lower. Maybe
                    this is a general feature of choosers that could be added?

                    I think it also would be very helpful if the entries for the bonus box
                    resolved to the actual enemies you've chosen. I'll try to FREQ this if
                    it's not around already...

                    All that being said, I think I hit a real bug when testing. I added 6
                    ranger levels and got to select my 2 favored enemies and the 5th level
                    bonus without trouble. Then I added 4 more levels. The favored enemy
                    box came up OK, but the bonus box only listed the 2nd and 3rd favored
                    enemies for selection. Can someone else confirm this (5.5.9). I'll put
                    up the tracker for it.

                    mh - ZansForCans
                    --
                    Group Editing & Authoring Support
                    flexible campaign management for the web
                    info :: http://www.codefuries.com/geas.php
                    demo :: http://www.codefuries.com/GEAS/public/wot.cgi
                  • Paul Grosse
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                      I think you are missing a crucial wording here.

                      <snip of Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse>
                      Favored Enemy (Ex): At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature
                      from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The ranger
                      gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival
                      checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise,
                      he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.
                      At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th
                      level), the ranger *may* select an additional favored enemy from those
                      given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus
                      against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so
                      desired) increases by 2.
                      If the ranger chooses humanoids or outsiders as a favored enemy, he must
                      also choose an associated subtype, as indicated on the table. If a
                      specific creature falls into more than one category of favored enemy,
                      the ranger's bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is
                      higher.
                      </snip of ClassesII.rtf>

                      Look at the emphasis that I included the word "may" suggests that the
                      person doesn't HAVE to pick another enemy he can choose the same enemy
                      again. So you would have the following.

                      1st level, Dragons +2
                      5th level, Dragons +6 (+2 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for previous
                      selection)
                      10th level, Dragons +10 (+6 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for
                      previous selection)
                      15th level, Dragons +14 (+10 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for
                      previous selection)
                      20th level, Dragons +18 (+14 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for
                      previous selection)

                      So if a ranger only wanted to focus on one enemy it would get very nasty
                      :)

                      Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
                      PCGen OGL Chimp & LST Lemur-in-training
                      ICQ: 14397299
                      AO: Nylan
                      Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

                      "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to
                      keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein
                    • magus1972
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:

                        <SNIP!>

                        > again. So you would have the following.
                        >
                        > 1st level, Dragons +2
                        > 5th level, Dragons +6 (+2 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for
                        previous
                        > selection)
                        > 10th level, Dragons +10 (+6 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for
                        > previous selection)
                        > 15th level, Dragons +14 (+10 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for
                        > previous selection)
                        > 20th level, Dragons +18 (+14 originally, +2 for 2nd enemy, +2 for
                        > previous selection)

                        Alternately:

                        1st Level, Dragons +2
                        5th Level, Dragons +6 (+2 for 2nd enemy, +4 for 1st enemy)
                        10th Level, Dragons +12 (+2 for 3rd enemy, +4 for 2nd enemy, +6 for
                        3rd enemy)
                        15th Level, Dragons +20 (+2 for 4th enemy, +4 for 3rd enemy, +6 for
                        2nd enemy, +8 for 1st enemy)
                        20th Level, Dragons +30 (+2 for 5th enemy, +4 for 4th enemy, +6 for
                        3rd enemy, +8 for 2nd enemy, +10 for 1st enemy)

                        > So if a ranger only wanted to focus on one enemy it would get very
                        nasty
                        > :)

                        Nasty indeed!

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                          Since the RSRD specifies that the only enemies you can choose are
                          those listed on the table, what happens when a DM wants to customize
                          that list? Or when an accessory adds to that list?

                          Is there an easy mechanism to modify the existing method of Favored
                          Enemy?

                          -Loyal
                        • Hetter
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                            Paul Grosse wrote:

                            >I think you are missing a crucial wording here.
                            >
                            ><snip of Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse>
                            >Favored Enemy (Ex): At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature
                            >from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The ranger
                            >gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival
                            >checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise,
                            >he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.
                            >At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th
                            >level), the ranger *may* select an additional favored enemy from those
                            >given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus
                            >against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so
                            >desired) increases by 2.
                            >If the ranger chooses humanoids or outsiders as a favored enemy, he must
                            >also choose an associated subtype, as indicated on the table. If a
                            >specific creature falls into more than one category of favored enemy,
                            >the ranger's bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is
                            >higher.
                            ></snip of ClassesII.rtf>

                            One thing though, Paul.
                            <snip of EpicClasses.rtf>

                            *Favored Enemy (Ex):* The epic ranger gains one additional favored
                            enemy, and his or her bonuses against one category of favored enemies
                            goes up by +2, every five levels higher than 20th.

                            </snip of EpicClasses.rtf>
                            and
                            <snip of EpicFeats.rtf>

                            BANE OF ENEMIES [EPIC]

                            *Prerequisites:* Survival 24 ranks, five or more favored enemies.

                            </snip of EpicClasses.rtf>

                            I think those two things from the Epic SRD makes it clear the ranger
                            chooses a new favored enemy each time.

                            --
                            Hetter
                            Special Projects Silverback
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                              On Feb 2, 2004, at 8:19 AM, Paul Grosse wrote:

                              > I think you are missing a crucial wording here.

                              may = 'is allowed to'. It also says that for the 1st level pick.
                              Finally, it says "...may select an *additional* favored enemy", not any
                              you have selected already.

                              Even if you want to read it as 'can, if they want to', it does not say
                              that if you choose the same enemy you get an bonus +2 by picking the
                              same enemy as multiple favorites. Every favored enemy gets the +2
                              bonus. Then, it says you get a +2 in addition at each 5th level to
                              distribute among your favored enemies. This is not picking them again,
                              it's just a bonus you get to distribute to one you've picked already.
                              So, if you choose not to pick a favored enemy at 5th level, you sill
                              have only a max of +4 for your original pick at 1st level.

                              The wording seems very clear to me...

                              mh - ZansForCans
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                                On Feb 2, 2004, at 11:06 AM, Loyal wrote:

                                > Since the RSRD specifies that the only enemies you can choose are
                                > those listed on the table, what happens when a DM wants to customize
                                > that list? Or when an accessory adds to that list?
                                >
                                > Is there an easy mechanism to modify the existing method of Favored

                                They are hard-coded in the feats_hidden2 file right now. This goes
                                along with what I was saying above about separating these out into
                                their own LST group with a TYPE modifier. Then you have only one list,
                                and in addition, it would be easy to add members to the list with
                                editing in one place or by appending through new sources.

                                mh - ZansForCans
                                --
                                Group Editing & Authoring Support
                                flexible campaign management for the web
                                info :: http://www.codefuries.com/geas.php
                                demo :: http://www.codefuries.com/GEAS/public/wot.cgi
                              • Jeremy Turnley
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Matt Haffner <haffner@a...> wrote:
                                  > On Feb 2, 2004, at 8:19 AM, Paul Grosse wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > I think you are missing a crucial wording here.
                                  >
                                  > may = 'is allowed to'. It also says that for the 1st level pick.
                                  > Finally, it says "...may select an *additional* favored enemy",
                                  not any
                                  > you have selected already.
                                  >
                                  > Even if you want to read it as 'can, if they want to', it does not
                                  say
                                  > that if you choose the same enemy you get an bonus +2 by picking
                                  the
                                  > same enemy as multiple favorites. Every favored enemy gets the +2
                                  > bonus. Then, it says you get a +2 in addition at each 5th level to
                                  > distribute among your favored enemies. This is not picking them
                                  again,
                                  > it's just a bonus you get to distribute to one you've picked
                                  already.
                                  > So, if you choose not to pick a favored enemy at 5th level, you
                                  sill
                                  > have only a max of +4 for your original pick at 1st level.
                                  >
                                  > The wording seems very clear to me...

                                  Looking back at them I agree (and was just writing a post saying the
                                  same thing when yours came in ;) You don't HAVE to take another
                                  race, but if you do, it has to be a different one from one you
                                  already have.

                                  -Illy
                                • Loyal
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                                    It seems very clear that is how it works. (Especially since that is
                                    what I read the first time, hehehe.)

                                    You may put the bonus gained at subsequent levels on that initial
                                    choice, but you don't actually get to select that choice again. The
                                    wording does show that you could choose not to select another enemy,
                                    but that reckons back to the "dim bulb" statement from earlier posts.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                                      Completely agree. Favored Enemy is "working" right now as is, but
                                      it's definitely not 100% and could be adjusted to work better for
                                      customization and growth.

                                      I'll see what I can come up with when I have some free cycles...

                                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Matt Haffner <haffner@a...> wrote:

                                      > They are hard-coded in the feats_hidden2 file right now. This goes
                                      > along with what I was saying above about separating these out into
                                      > their own LST group with a TYPE modifier. Then you have only one
                                      list,
                                      > and in addition, it would be easy to add members to the list with
                                      > editing in one place or by appending through new sources.
                                      >
                                      > mh - ZansForCans
                                    • Stephen L Johnson
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                                        On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 11:11, Hetter wrote:
                                        > Paul Grosse wrote:
                                        > >At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th
                                        > >level), the ranger *may* select an additional favored enemy from
                                        > those
                                        > >given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus
                                        > >against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so
                                        > >desired) increases by 2.
                                        > ></snip of ClassesII.rtf>
                                        > >

                                        > One thing though, Paul.
                                        > <snip of EpicClasses.rtf>
                                        >
                                        > *Favored Enemy (Ex):* The epic ranger gains one additional favored
                                        > enemy, and his or her bonuses against one category of favored enemies
                                        > goes up by +2, every five levels higher than 20th.
                                        >
                                        > </snip of EpicClasses.rtf>
                                        > and
                                        > <snip of EpicFeats.rtf>
                                        >
                                        > BANE OF ENEMIES [EPIC]
                                        >
                                        > *Prerequisites:* Survival 24 ranks, five or more favored enemies.
                                        >
                                        > </snip of EpicClasses.rtf>
                                        >
                                        > I think those two things from the Epic SRD makes it clear the ranger
                                        > chooses a new favored enemy each time.

                                        I agree with Hetter. I think you are reading too much into wording. To
                                        me the RSD passage says:

                                        if RangerLevel >= 5 and a multiple of 5 then
                                        if ( Desired ) then
                                        Choice Another Favored Enemy
                                        else
                                        NOP ; do nothing

                                        --
                                        Stephen L Johnson <sjohnson@...>

                                        "Never tangle with a geek when source code is on the line." - Frank
                                        Sorenson
                                      • Matt Haffner
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 5, 2004
                                          On Feb 2, 2004, at 12:40 AM, Matt Haffner wrote:

                                          > All that being said, I think I hit a real bug when testing. I added 6
                                          > ranger levels and got to select my 2 favored enemies and the 5th level
                                          > bonus without trouble. Then I added 4 more levels. The favored enemy
                                          > box came up OK, but the bonus box only listed the 2nd and 3rd favored
                                          > enemies for selection. Can someone else confirm this (5.5.9). I'll put
                                          > up the tracker for it.

                                          This was originally something I posted up in the favored enemy thread.
                                          I think I found this bug.

                                          The "Bonus to xxx Favored Enemy" feats in rsrd_feats_hidden2 need
                                          MULT:YES tags. Otherwise, you never can pick the same bonus more than
                                          once.

                                          Do they need STACK:YES as well? Or does the
                                          TYPE=FavoredEnemyBonus.STACK take care of that completely?

                                          DM #891515

                                          I P9'ed it because it's potentially very limiting to Rangers. I hope
                                          that wasn't too presumtuous!

                                          mh - ZansForCans