[OT] What Java development tools does the PCGen Team use?

  • magus1972
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2004
      Hey all,

      I haven't coded anything significant since my Pascal and Basic days
      in High School, but I can *read and understand* Java just fine. I
      was planning on downloading the PCGen source and browsing through
      it, with the goal of eventually fixing some minor issues, or
      tweaking it for my own uses (assuming this is permitted).

      My question is, what Java development tool(s) do the Code Monkeys
      use? Assume I know nothing about it and tell me what I need to be
      able to view, edit, compile, etc.

      Thanks!

      Magus1972
    • Frugal
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 30, 2004
        <quote who="magus1972">
        > My question is, what Java development tool(s) do the Code Monkeys
        > use? Assume I know nothing about it and tell me what I need to be
        > able to view, edit, compile, etc.

        I will assume you have already got a Java environment if you are able to
        run PCGen.

        I would highly recommend Eclipse (www.eclipse.org). The ability to jump to
        the definition of the method you are using; the ability to see what
        methods are using the method you are investigating and one of the most
        impressive auto-completion systems I have ever seen.

        Most (if not all) Java IDEs currently on the market will use a lot of
        memory to cache all of the lookups. Expect to be using 256Mb just for the
        IDE. I was running Eclipse on a P4-2G with 256Mb Ram and it spent most of
        its' time thrashing the Garbage colector, going from 256Mb to 768Mb halved
        the time it took the IDE to perform tasks. I believe the recommended spec
        for JBuilder 9 enterprise is 1Gb ;O)

        --
        regards,
        Frugal
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 30, 2004
          magus1972 wrote:

          >Hey all,
          >
          >I haven't coded anything significant since my Pascal and Basic days
          >in High School, but I can *read and understand* Java just fine. I
          >was planning on downloading the PCGen source and browsing through
          >it, with the goal of eventually fixing some minor issues, or
          >tweaking it for my own uses (assuming this is permitted).
          >
          >My question is, what Java development tool(s) do the Code Monkeys
          >use? Assume I know nothing about it and tell me what I need to be
          >able to view, edit, compile, etc.
          >
          >Thanks!
          >
          >Magus1972

          JDK: Java 2 SDK 1.4.2
          Build tool: Ant 1.5
          Editor: jEdit 4.1

          If you don't have enough memory to run eclipse, jEdit is a wonderful
          alternative. It highlights java syntax, you can compile via ant
          directly from it, It can do method completion as you type, IIRC it even
          has a debugger you can add on. It's very nice in that it is modular, so
          you can pick and choose what plugins suit you the best (much like
          eclipse). In many ways, jEdit is like a lightweight IDE - most of the
          features, 1/10th the memory footprint (it normally takes 50 or so megs
          instead of the ~2-500 eclispe can take)

          Devon
        • merton_monk
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 30, 2004
            I personally use Notepad as my editor (though sometimes I use
            Eclipse, except it's very heavy-weight and clutters up all the
            directories with .class files and I'd rather they were all kept in
            the build directory). The project uses jakarta's ant to build (I
            think 1.5 is required). Getting a cvs client is also necessary if
            you want to pull the source (I use TortoiseCVS, which I like a lot
            and it plugs into Windows Explorer very seamlessly).

            -Bryan
          • Devon Jones
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 30, 2004
              merton_monk wrote:

              >I personally use Notepad as my editor (though sometimes I use
              >Eclipse, except it's very heavy-weight and clutters up all the
              >directories with .class files and I'd rather they were all kept in
              >the build directory). The project uses jakarta's ant to build (I
              >think 1.5 is required). Getting a cvs client is also necessary if
              >you want to pull the source (I use TortoiseCVS, which I like a lot
              >and it plugs into Windows Explorer very seamlessly).
              >
              >-Bryan

              Bryan, you should look into textpad (http://www.textpad.com).

              It's as lighweight as notepad, but substantially better for coding (it
              does text highlighting for example, and lots of other nifty stuff)

              It only had a 5 meg footprint....and it's a champ for opening the
              largest of files (I have opened and edited files over a gig in size in
              TextPad, no problem)

              --
              Soulcatcher (Devon Jones)
              PCGen BoD
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 30, 2004
                I personally prefer Ultraedit (http://www.ultraedit.com
                <http://www.ultraedit.com/> ) for dev editing, although textpad is indeed
                nice.

                -Illy

                _____

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 31, 2004

                  FYI you can tell Eclipse where to put the build files (e.g., build/bin
                  instead of src/java). Since it's also got CVS and ANT integration you don't
                  need to separately download or install either of them. It IS pretty
                  heavyweight, though, particularly the new 3.0 builds. Runs like a dog on my
                  office 933Mhz/512MB.

                  Ross
                • bblackmoor
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 31, 2004
                    "Ross M. Lodge" <ross.lodge@e...> wrote:

                    > It [Eclipse] IS pretty heavyweight, though, particularly
                    > the new 3.0 builds. Runs like a dog on my office
                    > 933Mhz/512MB.

                    You'd be amazed at how much faster it runs if you bump your memory up
                    to a gig.

                    bblackmoor
                    2004-01-31