creating race

  • numestra
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2004
      i want to create a variant on the orc race, found in races of fearun, the gray orc. this
      subrace has different ability modifiers.(+2str, -2 int, -2char, +2wis). when i modifiy
      them in the file editor, pcgen creates an extra modifier in the Other adj. colom. so
      that the result is the same as the original file. this happens when i create a new file,
      and when i edit an existing file. how do i prevent this??
    • illrigger187
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2004
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "numestra" <tpweerd@s...> wrote:
        > i want to create a variant on the orc race, found in races of
        fearun, the gray orc. this
        > subrace has different ability modifiers.(+2str, -2 int, -2char,
        +2wis). when i modifiy
        > them in the file editor, pcgen creates an extra modifier in the
        Other adj. colom. so
        > that the result is the same as the original file. this happens
        when i create a new file,
        > and when i edit an existing file. how do i prevent this??

        Edit the .lst file direcly using a text editor like notepad (or
        preferably UltraEdit). What you're seeing is the result of the
        logic used by a script that pulled the stats for the races from the
        SRD automatically. In some cases it causes an extra -1 to be
        applied to some abilities, which is probably what you are running up
        againse. If you copy the line from the .lst file, paste it in and
        then edit it (which is pretty easy to do) you can get around this.

        BTW, the Orc entry in the current .lst file is incorrect anyway. I
        have uploaded corrected entries in the Files section of the group.

        -Illy
      • merton_monk
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "illrigger187" <illrigger187@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "numestra" <tpweerd@s...> wrote:
          > > i want to create a variant on the orc race, found in races of
          > fearun, the gray orc. this
          > > subrace has different ability modifiers.(+2str, -2 int, -2char,
          > +2wis). when i modifiy
          > > them in the file editor, pcgen creates an extra modifier in the
          > Other adj. colom. so
          > > that the result is the same as the original file. this happens
          > when i create a new file,
          > > and when i edit an existing file. how do i prevent this??
          >
          > Edit the .lst file direcly using a text editor like notepad (or
          > preferably UltraEdit). What you're seeing is the result of the
          > logic used by a script that pulled the stats for the races from
          the
          > SRD automatically. In some cases it causes an extra -1 to be
          > applied to some abilities, which is probably what you are running
          up
          > againse. If you copy the line from the .lst file, paste it in and
          > then edit it (which is pretty easy to do) you can get around this.
          >
          > BTW, the Orc entry in the current .lst file is incorrect anyway.
          > have uploaded corrected entries in the Files section of the group.

          An extra -1? That doesn't sound good! That needs to be investigated -
          we don't want unexpected modifiers being applied like that! Having
          to hand-edit a file is what I want the editors to make unnecessary -
          for the more advanced tags that may be unavoidable, but for simple
          stuff like that it absolutely has to work right.

          The Orc entry is wrong? You didn't specify, but in the SRD or the
          RSRD? Either way that would be a highest-priority item!

          -Bryan