[DOCS] biosettings.lst

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
      Working on my character last night if found that the weight and height
      random numbers were not working. After a bit of research if found I could
      put the biosettings.lst in a dataset and add it to the .pcc with a BIOSET:
      tag.

      If someone can confirm that the biosettings.lst is now a file that
      belongs in datasets and is no longer a system file I can start updating the
      docs to reflect this.

      If this is the case will not a file need to be put into the SRD and RSRD
      datasets? I had success just transferring the existing file into these sets,
      I can't imagine the data has changed much in 3.5. Unless of course this info
      is not part of the SRD/RSRD.

      Are there any plans to port the other bio files into the datasets? Other
      files include locations.lst, traits.lst and the names.
      --
      ~ Eddy
      ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
        IIRC, the system one is still (supposed to be) used. The biosetting in the
        source dir will over-ride the system one if it's there though.

        Sounds like a possible code bug (or my faulty memory).

        Barak
        ~PCGen BoD
        ~OS Silverback

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2004
          Looks like a bug. The biosettings.lst in the system bio folder is not being
          used but the locations.lst and traits.lst files are.

          I'm going to update the docs to reflect the use of the biosettings.lst file
          in source datasets. Personally I think it would be cool if the locations.lst
          and traits.lst files could be done this way as well. As for this not working
          from the system folder I don't think it is needed now that it can be put in
          a source.
          --
          ~ Eddy
          ~ Doc Chimp, Data Tamarin
          ~ PCGen BoD Documentation Second

          > IIRC, the system one is still (supposed to be) used. The biosetting in the
          > source dir will over-ride the system one if it's there though.
          >
          > Sounds like a possible code bug (or my faulty memory).
          >
          > Barak
          > ~PCGen BoD
          > ~OS Silverback

        • ovka
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2004
            >I'm going to update the docs to reflect the use of the
            >biosettings.lst file
            >in source datasets. Personally I think it would be cool if the
            >locations.lst
            >and traits.lst files could be done this way as well. As for this not
            >working
            >from the system folder I don't think it is needed now that it can be
            >put in
            >a source.

            I think that it would be helpful if a directory with the .nam files
            could be specified in the .pcc file as well. That way, if a
            sourcebook gives a set of rules for building character names,
            the .nam files could be put into the data directory along with the
            sourcebook. The .pcc file would then specify something like
            NAMES:@/d20ogl/companyName/sourcebookName/names.

            While I'm on the subject, it would also be helpful to be able to
            specify a particular .nam file from within a template. That way
            applying a template based on a specific region within the campaign
            world would direct the user to a certain set of names common to the
            region. A pair of tags like NAMEFILE:RegionX<tab>NAMEREQ:YES would
            use the RegionX.nam file within the above mentioned names directory
            to randomly generate the character's name (assuming the user wanted
            random name generation). The NAMEREQ tag would indicate whether or
            not the user could select a different name file. A value of YES
            indicates that the particular name file is required if the user
            randomly generates the name, whereas a value of NO (or the lack of a
            NAMEREQ tag) indicates that a different name file could be selected.

            Thoughts and comments are requested. If desired, I will move this
            over to the pcgen experimental list.

            Cheers,

            Sir George Anonymous