Re: [pcgen] java.lang Out of Memory Errors?

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2004

      From: "jamng" <jamng@...>
      Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2004 8:57 AM

      > Hello,
      >
      > I'm on Windows XP running the latest version of Java that I
      > downloaded and installed yesterday.
      >
      > In the pcgen.bat window I'm seeing a java.langOut of Memory error
      > regularly and when that happens pcgen stops working.
      >
      > I did a search for this error but didn't see any hits.
      >
      > Any idea on what this error means and how to fix it?
      >
      > I've got 1GB of RAM in the machine so I would think that'd be enough.

      Java by default limits itself to 64Mb of memory maximum. You can increase
      the amount it uses by using the command line switch -Xmx256, but setting the
      value to the maximum amount of RAM (in Mb) you want it to use. Don't go too
      near your actual amount of RAM though or it will swap like crazy. So change
      your bat file to use this:
      java -jar pcgen.jar -Xmx256

      and it should fix it.

      In the 5.7 releases, this command will already be present in the batch file,
      but commented out.

      James Dempsey
      JDempsey@...
      PCGEN Code Monkey
    • tabeall
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2004
        > > I'm on Windows XP running the latest version of Java that I
        > > downloaded and installed yesterday.
        > >
        > > In the pcgen.bat window I'm seeing a java.langOut of Memory error
        > > regularly and when that happens pcgen stops working.
        > >
        > > I did a search for this error but didn't see any hits.
        > >
        > > Any idea on what this error means and how to fix it?
        > >
        > > I've got 1GB of RAM in the machine so I would think that'd be
        enough.

        > Java by default limits itself to 64Mb of memory maximum. You can
        increase
        > the amount it uses by using the command line switch -Xmx256, but
        setting the
        > value to the maximum amount of RAM (in Mb) you want it to use. Don't
        go too
        > near your actual amount of RAM though or it will swap like crazy. So
        change
        > your bat file to use this:
        > java -jar pcgen.jar -Xmx256
        >
        > and it should fix it.

        This can also speed PCGEN up significantly even if you aren't having
        memory errors. At least it did for me.