RE: [pcgen] Skills on output sheets

  • Ross M. Lodge
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 1, 2003
      Freq #793600 has been closed. Don't know if there are any others.

      Ross

      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 1, 2003
        On a clean install it should default to "Untrained" (I just tested this
        with the current autobuild). If you install over a previous setup, so a
        pcgen.ini file already exists, it should default to whatever the skills tab
        combo box was last set to.

        Ross

        OK, but please tell me you made it default to untrained?

        pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ross M. Lodge" <ross.lodge@e...> wrote:
        > I've made changes to the code that should be in the next
        autobuild that separate the skills displayed on the GUI from the
        skills displayed on the output sheet. There's now an option under
        preferences->output that controls skills displayed on the output
        sheets (ranks only, untrained, or all). The combo box on the skills
        tab should now only control the skills that are displayed in the gui.

        > Ross

        PCGen's FAQ:

      • David Green
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 2, 2003
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ross M. Lodge" <ross.lodge@e...> wrote:
          > I've made changes to the code that should be in the next
          autobuild that separate the skills displayed on the GUI from the
          skills displayed on the output sheet. There's now an option under
          preferences->output that controls skills displayed on the output
          sheets (ranks only, untrained, or all). The combo box on the skills
          tab should now only control the skills that are displayed in the gui.

          > Ross

          Will you still have the ability to 'Hide' selected skills, ie all the
          performs. It would be good if a skill that is hidden on the GUI
          doesn't get output to the sheet regardless of the output setting.

          David
        • Ross M. Lodge
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 2, 2003
            > Will you still have the ability to 'Hide' selected skills, ie all the
            > performs. It would be good if a skill that is hidden on the GUI
            > doesn't get output to the sheet regardless of the output setting.
            >
            > David

            AFAIK, there's currently no way to apply the filters from the GUI skills screen to the OS's. You could request a FREQ for it . . .

            Ross
          • David Green
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 2, 2003
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ross M. Lodge" <ross.lodge@e...> wrote:
              > > Will you still have the ability to 'Hide' selected skills, i.e.
              > > performs. It would be good if a skill that is hidden on the GUI
              > > doesn't get output to the sheet regardless of the output setting.
              > >
              > > David
              >
              > AFAIK, there's currently no way to apply the filters from the
              GUI skills screen to the OS's. You could request a FREQ for it . . .

              > Ross

              At the moment I use 5.4.0 with CMP datasets. I have my Skills Tab
              set to show Untrained with all the subsets of Perform and Ride
              Hidden, When I output to PDF they remain 'Hidden'. I guess I was
              just asking wether this new feature would 'break' this functionality.

              Cheers
              David
            • Ross
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 2, 2003
                > At the moment I use 5.4.0 with CMP datasets. I have my Skills Tab
                > set to show Untrained with all the subsets of Perform and Ride
                > Hidden, When I output to PDF they remain 'Hidden'. I guess I was
                > just asking wether this new feature would 'break' this
                functionality.

                Shouldn't. Let me know if it does.

                Ross
              • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                  Now for some bizarre reason (not saying it´s your doing) skills do
                  not get output to the OS in alphabetical order, but in the order
                  according to the Order tag on the PCGen skills tab.
                  Someone has abviously fixed an issue that had irritaded me for a long
                  time, but seemingly did not go all the way.

                  Previously skills were sorted in PCGen by the Order tag, and no way I
                  could find to sort them alphabetically (I don´t know what the "Auto-
                  sort Output" tickbox is supposed to do?)

                  Now as described before, the order is finally alphabetical in the
                  Skills tab, but the order they are displayed gets scrambled on the OS
                  (but in an orderly fashion, according to the order tag :)

                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                    Quoting "Sigurdur H. Olafsson" <here@...>:
                    > Now for some bizarre reason (not saying it´s your doing) skills do
                    > not get output to the OS in alphabetical order, but in the order
                    > according to the Order tag on the PCGen skills tab.
                    > Someone has abviously fixed an issue that had irritaded me for a long
                    > time, but seemingly did not go all the way.
                    >
                    > Previously skills were sorted in PCGen by the Order tag, and no way I
                    > could find to sort them alphabetically (I don´t know what the "Auto-
                    > sort Output" tickbox is supposed to do?)
                    >
                    > Now as described before, the order is finally alphabetical in the
                    > Skills tab, but the order they are displayed gets scrambled on the OS
                    > (but in an orderly fashion, according to the order tag :)

                    This does definitely seem to be a side-effect of the changes I made. The TM's probably need to enter it as a new bug.

                    Ross
                  • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                      Shouldn´t this then be two bugs?

                      1. Order of Skills not alphabetical on OS (Or something in that
                      direction)
                      What is the actual underlying problem? That the "Order" field does
                      not revert default to alphabetical sequence?

                      and

                      2. Auto-sort Output tickbox on skills tab doesn´t do anything

                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ross M. Lodge" <ross.lodge@e...> wrote:
                      > This does definitely seem to be a side-effect of the changes I
                      > made. The TM's probably need to enter it as a new bug.
                      >
                      > Ross
                    • Ross M. Lodge
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                        Quoting "Sigurdur H. Olafsson" <here@...>:

                        > Shouldn´t this then be two bugs?
                        >
                        > 1. Order of Skills not alphabetical on OS (Or something in that
                        > direction)
                        > What is the actual underlying problem? That the "Order" field does
                        > not revert default to alphabetical sequence?
                        >
                        > and
                        >
                        > 2. Auto-sort Output tickbox on skills tab doesn´t do anything

                        I don't know what the auto-sort checkbox is supposed to do. :-)
                        It's probably better as one tracker entry because the problems might be (are?) tied together.

                        Ross
                      • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                          I don´t recall the tickbox ever doing anything... :)

                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ross M. Lodge" <ross.lodge@e...> wrote:
                          > Quoting "Sigurdur H. Olafsson" <here@h...>:
                          >
                          > > Shouldn´t this then be two bugs?
                          > >
                          > > 1. Order of Skills not alphabetical on OS (Or something in that
                          > > direction)
                          > > What is the actual underlying problem? That the "Order" field
                          does
                          > > not revert default to alphabetical sequence?
                          > >
                          > > and
                          > >
                          > > 2. Auto-sort Output tickbox on skills tab doesn´t do anything
                          > >

                          > I don't know what the auto-sort checkbox is supposed to do. :-
                          )
                          > It's probably better as one tracker entry because the problems
                          might be (are?) tied together.

                          > Ross
                        • James Dempsey
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003

                            Sigurdur, try this out. Click in your selected skills tab, right click and
                            select "Output Order > By Name (Ascending)". That should give you what you
                            want. The auto-sort output option is intended to keep the output it in alpha
                            order anyway, but perhaps it needs to be examined to make sure it works.
                            Uncheck it if you don't want the skills *output order* resorted each time a
                            skill is added.

                            Please, the order column is *intended* to control the order in which skills
                            are output. Not everyone wants them in alpha order - I tend to use the
                            trained then untrained option, others may have different ones. If it is
                            controlling the output order then it is the intended behaviour and should
                            not be changed. If it isn't working properly in some way, get a bug raised,
                            assign it to me and I will sort it out.

                            James Dempsey
                            JDempsey@...
                            PCGEN Code Monkey

                            > > 1. Order of Skills not alphabetical on OS (Or something in that
                            > > direction)
                            > > What is the actual underlying problem? That the "Order" field does
                            > > not revert default to alphabetical sequence?
                            > >
                            > > and
                            > >
                            > > 2. Auto-sort Output tickbox on skills tab doesn´t do anything
                            > >

                            > I don't know what the auto-sort checkbox is supposed to do. :-)
                            > It's probably better as one tracker entry because the problems might
                            be (are?) tied together.

                            > Ross
                          • Ross M. Lodge
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003

                              > Sigurdur, try this out. Click in your selected skills tab, right click and
                              > select "Output Order > By Name (Ascending)". That should give you what you
                              > want. The auto-sort output option is intended to keep the output it in alpha
                              > order anyway, but perhaps it needs to be examined to make sure it works.
                              > Uncheck it if you don't want the skills *output order* resorted each time a
                              > skill is added.
                              >
                              > Please, the order column is *intended* to control the order in which skills
                              > are output. Not everyone wants them in alpha order - I tend to use the
                              > trained then untrained option, others may have different ones. If it is
                              > controlling the output order then it is the intended behaviour and should
                              > not be changed. If it isn't working properly in some way, get a bug raised,
                              > assign it to me and I will sort it out.

                              When I looked at it this morning, the problem appeared to be that the skills list on the output is now different than the skills list on the screen -- skills with an output order assigned on the screen were sorted first, according to their output order; then all others were sorted alphabetically on the output. This only happens if your screen display setting (say, None) is different from the setting on the output options (say, Untrained) -- in this case, the skills you had ranks in would display first, and the skills you didn't would come next.

                              Ross
                            • Jayme Cox
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                                [TM] This is not a bug as far as I can tell. Everything works as designed in
                                5.5.2

                                > > 1. Order of Skills not alphabetical on OS (Or something in that
                                > > direction)

                                Solution: If the skills are not in the order you desire, right click on one of
                                them and select Output Order->name (ascending)

                                > > 2. Auto-sort Output tickbox on skills tab doesn´t do anything

                                The Auto-sort checkbox makes sure that any _NEW_ skill added to the list is put
                                into the proper place, alphabetically.
                              • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@a...> wrote:
                                  > Sigurdur, try this out. Click in your selected skills tab, right
                                  > click and select "Output Order > By Name (Ascending)". That should
                                  > give you what you want.

                                  Wow.. thanks this worked, but being the nitpicking ba*tard I am, this
                                  is NOT very intuative. (I have played with the "Display by" and "Auto-
                                  sort output" buttons to no end in prevoius versions to try to get
                                  this functionality, obviously to no avail :O)

                                  (I shudder when I think about how many times I rearranged the order
                                  by hand, OTOH this in my book goes to #1 toppling the old picture
                                  chooser in PCGen GUI user hostility ;)

                                  How about when I load this character to a new version of PCGen
                                  (options.ini deleted and all), I presume I will have to do this again?

                                  > Please, the order column is *intended* to control the order in
                                  > which skills are output. Not everyone wants them in alpha order - I
                                  > tend to use the trained then untrained option, others may have
                                  > different ones. If it is controlling the output order then it is
                                  > the intended behaviour and should not be changed. If it isn't
                                  > working properly in some way, get a bug raised, assign it to me and
                                  > I will sort it out.

                                  I hear ya... how about defaulting to alphabetical.. or maybe people
                                  don´t care?

                                  Could "Output Order" be made a dropdown menu like "Display By"?
                                • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jayme Cox" <jayme@r...> wrote:
                                    > [TM] This is not a bug as far as I can tell. Everything works as
                                    > designed in 5.5.2

                                    But Ross is right that currently there is not sync between PCGen and
                                    the OS. PCGEN defaults to alphabetical display and trained/untrained
                                    order.

                                    IMHO all should default to the same ordering scheme.

                                    > > > 1. Order of Skills not alphabetical on OS (Or something in that
                                    > > > direction)
                                    >
                                    > Solution: If the skills are not in the order you desire, right
                                    click on one of
                                    > them and select Output Order->name (ascending)
                                    >
                                    > > > 2. Auto-sort Output tickbox on skills tab doesn´t do anything
                                    >
                                    > The Auto-sort checkbox makes sure that any _NEW_ skill added to the
                                    list is put
                                    > into the proper place, alphabetically.

                                    That´s clever :)
                                  • Jayme Cox
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003

                                      > When I looked at it this morning, the problem appeared
                                      > to be that the skills list on the output is now different
                                      > than the skills list on the screen -- skills with an output
                                      > order assigned on the screen were sorted first, according to
                                      > their output order; then all others were sorted
                                      > alphabetically on the output. This only happens if your
                                      > screen display setting (say, None) is different from the
                                      > setting on the output options (say, Untrained) -- in this
                                      > case, the skills you had ranks in would display first, and
                                      > the skills you didn't would come next.

                                      Expected behavior. Output order is what both the OS and GUI are supposed to use
                                      to order the display of the skills. If a Skill does not have a order #, then it
                                      comes after all the ones that do. Default order is Alphabetical, so any skills
                                      not in the GUI would fall into that category.

                                      There needs to be a FREQ opened for:

                                      Change Skills 'Auto-Sort output' checkbox to a drop-down that contains the
                                      following:

                                      By name (ascending)
                                      By name (descending)
                                      By trained, then untrained
                                      By untrained, then trained

                                      This setting should then be used for both the GUI and OS export order of skills

                                      Thanks!
                                    • Eric Beaudoin
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 5, 2003
                                        At 11:52 2003.12.04, Sigurdur H. Olafsson wrote:
                                        >Shouldn´t this then be two bugs?
                                        >
                                        >1. Order of Skills not alphabetical on OS (Or something in that
                                        >direction)
                                        >What is the actual underlying problem? That the "Order" field does
                                        >not revert default to alphabetical sequence?

                                        Well we need a way to "user sort" the skills so they should not revert to alpha order unless the checkbox is selected.

                                        >and
                                        >
                                        >2. Auto-sort Output tickbox on skills tab doesn´t do anything

                                        3. If you hide some skills, they still are count against the total and the CSHEET display empty lines.

                                        Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin (hiding in the trench)
                                        >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                                        <mailto:beaudoer@...>
                                      • Ross M. Lodge
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 6, 2003
                                          The problem I saw was that, now that the not all skills on the output sheet
                                          needed to be displayed in the GUI (I.e., you could choose None in the gui
                                          and Untrained for the output sheets), the sort order was not what was
                                          expected on the output sheets (the ranked skills came first, even though you
                                          had chosen alphabetical in the GUI).

                                          Ross