Re: [BoD Report]

  • Chuck Pint
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 1, 2003
      > Look at it this way:
      >
      > Pros for putting AU in a PCGen release against the wishes of
      > publisher:
      > 1. those who want AU data are happy
      >
      > Cons against putting AU in a PCGen release:
      > 1. publisher may be less willing to give us permissions for closed
      > content sources, so users of those books will be unhappy
      > 2. other publishers may be less willing to deal with us since we'll
      > develop a reputation as being disrespectful of publisher's wishes,
      > so potential users of that data will be unhappy
      > 3. we will be reversing a stated policy that has been with us for
      > nearly 4 years.
      > 4. we will be breaking ranks with how the accepted guidelines used
      > between publishers themselves (at least I see this as a Con)
      >
      > We may avoid CMP-is-evil kind of flare-ups and make the AU people
      > happy, but we'd just make a lot of different people and publishers
      > unhappy (and I suspect those camps will be much larger!). Either
      > way some group of people is unhappy, and I've always chosen to have
      > PCGen respect the wishes of the publishers and be a good netizen.
      > If that makes some people unhappy and forces me to endure cycles of
      > flame, then so be it. I hope that by explaining the rationale
      > behind this policy we can help dampen the flames. Maybe I should
      > make a new item at pcgen.sf.net about this policy and place a
      > the Welcome message for this group? I think most people will
      > understand it if they know what the consequences of changing the
      > policy would be. Sound reasonable?
      >
      > -Bryan

      Given there is a group that continues to cry "where's the document?",
      I think this is an excellent idea. Link to it from the SF.net site,
      from the CMP site, and also put a link in the "links" of this group.
      At least the next person that brings it up can then be politely
      pointed at the link. And if you make up a FAQ list for this group, it
      should be #1 on the list. ;)

      Chuck
    • Keith Davies
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 3, 2003
        On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 02:48:13PM -0500, Charbeneau, Chuck wrote:

        > I can stop drinking (alcohol, Caffeine, whatever...) anytime I want.

        I dunno. It sounds like you've got a dihydrogen monoxide
        (http://www.dhmo.org) dependency; that could be a challenge.

        Keith
        --
        Keith Davies "Your ability to bang your head against
        keith.davies@... reality in the hope that reality will