Skills on output sheets

  • Ross M. Lodge
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 1, 2003
      I've made changes to the code that should be in the next autobuild that separate the skills displayed on the GUI from the skills displayed on the output sheet. There's now an option under preferences->output that controls skills displayed on the output sheets (ranks only, untrained, or all). The combo box on the skills tab should now only control the skills that are displayed in the gui.

      Ross
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 1, 2003
        > I've made changes to the code that should be in the next autobuild that
        > separate the skills displayed on the GUI from the skills displayed on the
        > output sheet. There's now an option under preferences->output that controls
        > skills displayed on the output sheets (ranks only, untrained, or all). The
        > combo box on the skills tab should now only control the skills that are
        > displayed in the gui.
        >
        > Ross

        Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :D
        --
        ~ Eddy
        ~ Doc Chimp
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 1, 2003
          OK, but please tell me you made it default to untrained?

          pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ross M. Lodge" <ross.lodge@e...> wrote:
          > I've made changes to the code that should be in the next
          autobuild that separate the skills displayed on the GUI from the
          skills displayed on the output sheet. There's now an option under
          preferences->output that controls skills displayed on the output
          sheets (ranks only, untrained, or all). The combo box on the skills
          tab should now only control the skills that are displayed in the gui.

          > Ross
        • Kurt Wimmer
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 1, 2003
            In case you didn't know, there is a(t least one) FREQ about this that
            you can now close...

            Unfortunatly SF is currently down so I cannot get you the number. I was
            raised by me though (kwimmer).

            Kurt

            Ross M. Lodge wrote:

            > I've made changes to the code that should be in the next
            > autobuild that separate the skills displayed on the GUI from the
            > skills displayed on the output sheet. There's now an option under
            > preferences->output that controls skills displayed on the output
            > sheets (ranks only, untrained, or all). The combo box on the skills
            > tab should now only control the skills that are displayed in the gui.
            >
            > Ross
            >
            > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
            > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cvfnqc2/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1070408854/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116732>

            > PCGen's FAQ:

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

          • Ross M. Lodge
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 1, 2003
              Freq #793600 has been closed. Don't know if there are any others.

              Ross

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 1, 2003
                On a clean install it should default to "Untrained" (I just tested this
                with the current autobuild). If you install over a previous setup, so a
                pcgen.ini file already exists, it should default to whatever the skills tab
                combo box was last set to.

                Ross

                OK, but please tell me you made it default to untrained?

                pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ross M. Lodge" <ross.lodge@e...> wrote:
                > I've made changes to the code that should be in the next
                autobuild that separate the skills displayed on the GUI from the
                skills displayed on the output sheet. There's now an option under
                preferences->output that controls skills displayed on the output
                sheets (ranks only, untrained, or all). The combo box on the skills
                tab should now only control the skills that are displayed in the gui.

                > Ross

                PCGen's FAQ:

              • David Green
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 2, 2003
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ross M. Lodge" <ross.lodge@e...> wrote:
                  > I've made changes to the code that should be in the next
                  autobuild that separate the skills displayed on the GUI from the
                  skills displayed on the output sheet. There's now an option under
                  preferences->output that controls skills displayed on the output
                  sheets (ranks only, untrained, or all). The combo box on the skills
                  tab should now only control the skills that are displayed in the gui.

                  > Ross

                  Will you still have the ability to 'Hide' selected skills, ie all the
                  performs. It would be good if a skill that is hidden on the GUI
                  doesn't get output to the sheet regardless of the output setting.

                  David
                • Ross M. Lodge
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 2, 2003
                    > Will you still have the ability to 'Hide' selected skills, ie all the
                    > performs. It would be good if a skill that is hidden on the GUI
                    > doesn't get output to the sheet regardless of the output setting.
                    >
                    > David

                    AFAIK, there's currently no way to apply the filters from the GUI skills screen to the OS's. You could request a FREQ for it . . .

                    Ross
                  • David Green
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 2, 2003
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ross M. Lodge" <ross.lodge@e...> wrote:
                      > > Will you still have the ability to 'Hide' selected skills, i.e.
                      > > performs. It would be good if a skill that is hidden on the GUI
                      > > doesn't get output to the sheet regardless of the output setting.
                      > >
                      > > David
                      >
                      > AFAIK, there's currently no way to apply the filters from the
                      GUI skills screen to the OS's. You could request a FREQ for it . . .

                      > Ross

                      At the moment I use 5.4.0 with CMP datasets. I have my Skills Tab
                      set to show Untrained with all the subsets of Perform and Ride
                      Hidden, When I output to PDF they remain 'Hidden'. I guess I was
                      just asking wether this new feature would 'break' this functionality.

                      Cheers
                      David
                    • Ross
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 2, 2003
                        > At the moment I use 5.4.0 with CMP datasets. I have my Skills Tab
                        > set to show Untrained with all the subsets of Perform and Ride
                        > Hidden, When I output to PDF they remain 'Hidden'. I guess I was
                        > just asking wether this new feature would 'break' this
                        functionality.

                        Shouldn't. Let me know if it does.

                        Ross
                      • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                          Now for some bizarre reason (not saying it´s your doing) skills do
                          not get output to the OS in alphabetical order, but in the order
                          according to the Order tag on the PCGen skills tab.
                          Someone has abviously fixed an issue that had irritaded me for a long
                          time, but seemingly did not go all the way.

                          Previously skills were sorted in PCGen by the Order tag, and no way I
                          could find to sort them alphabetically (I don´t know what the "Auto-
                          sort Output" tickbox is supposed to do?)

                          Now as described before, the order is finally alphabetical in the
                          Skills tab, but the order they are displayed gets scrambled on the OS
                          (but in an orderly fashion, according to the order tag :)

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                            Quoting "Sigurdur H. Olafsson" <here@...>:
                            > Now for some bizarre reason (not saying it´s your doing) skills do
                            > not get output to the OS in alphabetical order, but in the order
                            > according to the Order tag on the PCGen skills tab.
                            > Someone has abviously fixed an issue that had irritaded me for a long
                            > time, but seemingly did not go all the way.
                            >
                            > Previously skills were sorted in PCGen by the Order tag, and no way I
                            > could find to sort them alphabetically (I don´t know what the "Auto-
                            > sort Output" tickbox is supposed to do?)
                            >
                            > Now as described before, the order is finally alphabetical in the
                            > Skills tab, but the order they are displayed gets scrambled on the OS
                            > (but in an orderly fashion, according to the order tag :)

                            This does definitely seem to be a side-effect of the changes I made. The TM's probably need to enter it as a new bug.

                            Ross
                          • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                              Shouldn´t this then be two bugs?

                              1. Order of Skills not alphabetical on OS (Or something in that
                              direction)
                              What is the actual underlying problem? That the "Order" field does
                              not revert default to alphabetical sequence?

                              and

                              2. Auto-sort Output tickbox on skills tab doesn´t do anything

                              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ross M. Lodge" <ross.lodge@e...> wrote:
                              > This does definitely seem to be a side-effect of the changes I
                              > made. The TM's probably need to enter it as a new bug.
                              >
                              > Ross
                            • Ross M. Lodge
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                                Quoting "Sigurdur H. Olafsson" <here@...>:

                                > Shouldn´t this then be two bugs?
                                >
                                > 1. Order of Skills not alphabetical on OS (Or something in that
                                > direction)
                                > What is the actual underlying problem? That the "Order" field does
                                > not revert default to alphabetical sequence?
                                >
                                > and
                                >
                                > 2. Auto-sort Output tickbox on skills tab doesn´t do anything

                                I don't know what the auto-sort checkbox is supposed to do. :-)
                                It's probably better as one tracker entry because the problems might be (are?) tied together.

                                Ross
                              • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                                  I don´t recall the tickbox ever doing anything... :)

                                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ross M. Lodge" <ross.lodge@e...> wrote:
                                  > Quoting "Sigurdur H. Olafsson" <here@h...>:
                                  >
                                  > > Shouldn´t this then be two bugs?
                                  > >
                                  > > 1. Order of Skills not alphabetical on OS (Or something in that
                                  > > direction)
                                  > > What is the actual underlying problem? That the "Order" field
                                  does
                                  > > not revert default to alphabetical sequence?
                                  > >
                                  > > and
                                  > >
                                  > > 2. Auto-sort Output tickbox on skills tab doesn´t do anything
                                  > >

                                  > I don't know what the auto-sort checkbox is supposed to do. :-
                                  )
                                  > It's probably better as one tracker entry because the problems
                                  might be (are?) tied together.

                                  > Ross
                                • James Dempsey
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003

                                    Sigurdur, try this out. Click in your selected skills tab, right click and
                                    select "Output Order > By Name (Ascending)". That should give you what you
                                    want. The auto-sort output option is intended to keep the output it in alpha
                                    order anyway, but perhaps it needs to be examined to make sure it works.
                                    Uncheck it if you don't want the skills *output order* resorted each time a
                                    skill is added.

                                    Please, the order column is *intended* to control the order in which skills
                                    are output. Not everyone wants them in alpha order - I tend to use the
                                    trained then untrained option, others may have different ones. If it is
                                    controlling the output order then it is the intended behaviour and should
                                    not be changed. If it isn't working properly in some way, get a bug raised,
                                    assign it to me and I will sort it out.

                                    James Dempsey
                                    JDempsey@...
                                    PCGEN Code Monkey

                                    > > 1. Order of Skills not alphabetical on OS (Or something in that
                                    > > direction)
                                    > > What is the actual underlying problem? That the "Order" field does
                                    > > not revert default to alphabetical sequence?
                                    > >
                                    > > and
                                    > >
                                    > > 2. Auto-sort Output tickbox on skills tab doesn´t do anything
                                    > >

                                    > I don't know what the auto-sort checkbox is supposed to do. :-)
                                    > It's probably better as one tracker entry because the problems might
                                    be (are?) tied together.

                                    > Ross
                                  • Ross M. Lodge
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003

                                      > Sigurdur, try this out. Click in your selected skills tab, right click and
                                      > select "Output Order > By Name (Ascending)". That should give you what you
                                      > want. The auto-sort output option is intended to keep the output it in alpha
                                      > order anyway, but perhaps it needs to be examined to make sure it works.
                                      > Uncheck it if you don't want the skills *output order* resorted each time a
                                      > skill is added.
                                      >
                                      > Please, the order column is *intended* to control the order in which skills
                                      > are output. Not everyone wants them in alpha order - I tend to use the
                                      > trained then untrained option, others may have different ones. If it is
                                      > controlling the output order then it is the intended behaviour and should
                                      > not be changed. If it isn't working properly in some way, get a bug raised,
                                      > assign it to me and I will sort it out.

                                      When I looked at it this morning, the problem appeared to be that the skills list on the output is now different than the skills list on the screen -- skills with an output order assigned on the screen were sorted first, according to their output order; then all others were sorted alphabetically on the output. This only happens if your screen display setting (say, None) is different from the setting on the output options (say, Untrained) -- in this case, the skills you had ranks in would display first, and the skills you didn't would come next.

                                      Ross
                                    • Jayme Cox
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                                        [TM] This is not a bug as far as I can tell. Everything works as designed in
                                        5.5.2

                                        > > 1. Order of Skills not alphabetical on OS (Or something in that
                                        > > direction)

                                        Solution: If the skills are not in the order you desire, right click on one of
                                        them and select Output Order->name (ascending)

                                        > > 2. Auto-sort Output tickbox on skills tab doesn´t do anything

                                        The Auto-sort checkbox makes sure that any _NEW_ skill added to the list is put
                                        into the proper place, alphabetically.
                                      • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@a...> wrote:
                                          > Sigurdur, try this out. Click in your selected skills tab, right
                                          > click and select "Output Order > By Name (Ascending)". That should
                                          > give you what you want.

                                          Wow.. thanks this worked, but being the nitpicking ba*tard I am, this
                                          is NOT very intuative. (I have played with the "Display by" and "Auto-
                                          sort output" buttons to no end in prevoius versions to try to get
                                          this functionality, obviously to no avail :O)

                                          (I shudder when I think about how many times I rearranged the order
                                          by hand, OTOH this in my book goes to #1 toppling the old picture
                                          chooser in PCGen GUI user hostility ;)

                                          How about when I load this character to a new version of PCGen
                                          (options.ini deleted and all), I presume I will have to do this again?

                                          > Please, the order column is *intended* to control the order in
                                          > which skills are output. Not everyone wants them in alpha order - I
                                          > tend to use the trained then untrained option, others may have
                                          > different ones. If it is controlling the output order then it is
                                          > the intended behaviour and should not be changed. If it isn't
                                          > working properly in some way, get a bug raised, assign it to me and
                                          > I will sort it out.

                                          I hear ya... how about defaulting to alphabetical.. or maybe people
                                          don´t care?

                                          Could "Output Order" be made a dropdown menu like "Display By"?
                                        • Sigurdur H. Olafsson
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003
                                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jayme Cox" <jayme@r...> wrote:
                                            > [TM] This is not a bug as far as I can tell. Everything works as
                                            > designed in 5.5.2

                                            But Ross is right that currently there is not sync between PCGen and
                                            the OS. PCGEN defaults to alphabetical display and trained/untrained
                                            order.

                                            IMHO all should default to the same ordering scheme.

                                            > > > 1. Order of Skills not alphabetical on OS (Or something in that
                                            > > > direction)
                                            >
                                            > Solution: If the skills are not in the order you desire, right
                                            click on one of
                                            > them and select Output Order->name (ascending)
                                            >
                                            > > > 2. Auto-sort Output tickbox on skills tab doesn´t do anything
                                            >
                                            > The Auto-sort checkbox makes sure that any _NEW_ skill added to the
                                            list is put
                                            > into the proper place, alphabetically.

                                            That´s clever :)
                                          • Jayme Cox
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Dec 4, 2003

                                              > When I looked at it this morning, the problem appeared
                                              > to be that the skills list on the output is now different
                                              > than the skills list on the screen -- skills with an output
                                              > order assigned on the screen were sorted first, according to
                                              > their output order; then all others were sorted
                                              > alphabetically on the output. This only happens if your
                                              > screen display setting (say, None) is different from the
                                              > setting on the output options (say, Untrained) -- in this
                                              > case, the skills you had ranks in would display first, and
                                              > the skills you didn't would come next.

                                              Expected behavior. Output order is what both the OS and GUI are supposed to use
                                              to order the display of the skills. If a Skill does not have a order #, then it
                                              comes after all the ones that do. Default order is Alphabetical, so any skills
                                              not in the GUI would fall into that category.

                                              There needs to be a FREQ opened for:

                                              Change Skills 'Auto-Sort output' checkbox to a drop-down that contains the
                                              following:

                                              By name (ascending)
                                              By name (descending)
                                              By trained, then untrained
                                              By untrained, then trained

                                              This setting should then be used for both the GUI and OS export order of skills

                                              Thanks!
                                            • Eric Beaudoin
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Dec 5, 2003
                                                At 11:52 2003.12.04, Sigurdur H. Olafsson wrote:
                                                >Shouldn´t this then be two bugs?
                                                >
                                                >1. Order of Skills not alphabetical on OS (Or something in that
                                                >direction)
                                                >What is the actual underlying problem? That the "Order" field does
                                                >not revert default to alphabetical sequence?

                                                Well we need a way to "user sort" the skills so they should not revert to alpha order unless the checkbox is selected.

                                                >and
                                                >
                                                >2. Auto-sort Output tickbox on skills tab doesn´t do anything

                                                3. If you hide some skills, they still are count against the total and the CSHEET display empty lines.

                                                Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin (hiding in the trench)
                                                >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                                                <mailto:beaudoer@...>
                                              • Ross M. Lodge
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Dec 6, 2003
                                                  The problem I saw was that, now that the not all skills on the output sheet
                                                  needed to be displayed in the GUI (I.e., you could choose None in the gui
                                                  and Untrained for the output sheets), the sort order was not what was
                                                  expected on the output sheets (the ranked skills came first, even though you
                                                  had chosen alphabetical in the GUI).

                                                  Ross