Re: [pcgen] Re: [BoD Report]

  • Steven Gilroy
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 1, 2003
      Be it sarcasm or not that is the way a lot of people still see it.

      I understand that the BoD wants to be sympathetic to the publishers, but
      shouldn't their greater sympathies be toward the community? I'm not
      saying that we should go pi$$ off all of the publishers that say "no
      don't include my stuff"...but we should keep in mind that by voluntarily
      not including OGC (that we have every right to use) and then having CMP
      charge for that same content does look bad in the eyes of those who
      still can not make the distinction between PCGen and CMP.

      I am all for the PCGen community, and I am all for the folks a CMP
      making money by doing the great LST work they do. However appearances
      are very important. To the skeptics it "appears" that PCGen's BoD is
      not doing stuff like AU so that CMP can make money by doing so. I know
      this is not the case, but if stuff like this isn't handled in a better
      way we are going to end up with another explosion on this board like
      what happened several months ago and again 2 weeks ago.

      I'm not bringing this up to start trouble, I'm bringing it up so that it
      can be considered and discussed to prevent future trouble.

      Brass Tilde wrote:

      >>>My biggest concern with this is that this is where people are
      >>>seeing that grey line between PCGen and CMP.
      >>>We (PCGen) are not distributing something OGL that we could be
      >>>distributing for free and CMP is distributing that same content
      >>>for a fee.
      >>>

      >>So what do you propose? That PCGen include something against the
      >>publishers wishes?
      >>

      >I suspect that's *exactly* what some of the posters on this subject *do*
      >want. (and I'm *not* refering to any of the individuals who've recently
      >posted in the most civil and reasonable way about the subject) They see the
      >failure to do so as the overwhelmingly CMP-sympathetic BoD[1] acting as
      >CMP's sop, pushing business their way. All the protestations of "making
      >nice with the publisher" and "good relations for the sake of future
      >cooperation" are just convenient excuses to feed the greedy "traitors to the
      >PCGen community" that make up CMP. It is, of course, CMP's master plan to
      >make *all* the sources included with PCGen into permissioned only sources,
      >so that CMP can charge for them, even though everybody already owns them and
      >should be able to get them for free anywhere they want in any form they
      >want.
      >
      >[1]Please note: large portions of this note are in the form of sarcasm, an
      >obscure, oftimes misunderstood form of humor. For those who understand it,
      >no explanation is necessary, for those who don't, none is sufficient. I
      >sincerely apologize to those who don't understand it, but I shan't try to
      >explain. I also apologize to those who will be maligned by those who don't
      >understand it.

      >PCGen's alpha build: http://rpg.plambert.net/pcgen
      >PCGen's FAQ:
      >http://rpg.plambert.net/pcgen/current/_docs/

      Steven Gilroy
      PCGen OS Lemur
    • Keith Davies
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 3, 2003
        On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 02:48:13PM -0500, Charbeneau, Chuck wrote:

        > I can stop drinking (alcohol, Caffeine, whatever...) anytime I want.

        I dunno. It sounds like you've got a dihydrogen monoxide
        (http://www.dhmo.org) dependency; that could be a challenge.

        Keith
        --
        Keith Davies "Your ability to bang your head against
        keith.davies@... reality in the hope that reality will