RSRD Weapon Sizes coding question...

  • magus1972
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      Hey all,

      I just picked up a copy of the Complete Warrior from WOTC.

      In looking over the feats, I saw the following and asked myself if
      the current code in PCGen could handle this particular one:

      "Monkey Grip:
      You are able to use a larger weapon than other people your size.
      Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1.
      Benefit: You can use melee weapons one size category larger than you
      are with a -2 penalty on the attack roll, but the amount of effort
      it takes you to use the weapon does not change. For instance, a
      Large longsword (a one-handed weapon for a Large creature) is
      considered a two-handed weapon for a Medium creature that does not
      have this feat. For a Medium creature that has this feat it is
      still considered a one-handed weapon. You can wield a larger light
      weapon as a light weapon, or a larger two-handed weapon in two
      hands. You cannot wield a larger weapon in your off hand, and you
      cannot use this feat with a double weapon.
      Normal: You can use a melee weapon one size category larger than you
      are with a -2 penalty on the attack roll, and the amount of effort
      it takes to use the weapon increases. A larger light weapon is
      considered a one-handed weapon, a larger one-handed weapon is
      considered a two-handed weapon, and you cannot use a larger two-
      handed weapon at all."

      Only reason I ask is that I know the RSRD weapon size code is fairly
      new and I thought I would give whoever coded that functionality a
      heads-up as to the requirements for this particular feat. I could
      be wrong, but it seems to me that the current code would not be able
      to support this feat.

      Cheers!

      Magus1972
    • Jayme Cox
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        This needs to be a FREQ:

        New BONUS tag to support changing effective wield category

        Possible syntax:

        BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY|WCName1,WCName2|x

        WCName1,WCName2: Wield Category names, such as 'Light', 'OneHanded', 'TwoHanded'
        or 'ALL' to effect all possible categories. The wield category names are defined
        in the system/gameModes/miscinfo.lst file.
        X: a number to increase or decrease the category by

        Example:
        To allow a PC to wield a larger Two Handed weapon than would normally be
        allowed:
        BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY|TwoHanded|-1

        To allow a PC to use all weapons that are one Size Category larger:
        BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY|ALL|-1

        To allow a PC to use smaller 'Light' and 'OneHanded' weapons than would normally
        be allowed:
        BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY|OneHanded,Light|1

        Please assign to me...

        Thanks!
      • Jayme Cox
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
          FREQ # [ 852408 ] BONUS: WIELDCATEGORY

          Done and checked into CVS
        • magus1972
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
            The code change below works, but it needs to be expanded.

            Currently, if you assign this BONUS to a Medium-sized character they
            will be able to wield a Large-sized TwoHanded weapon in Both hands.
            This is as intended.

            However, they will also be able to wield a Medium-sized TwoHanded
            weapon one-handed, which should not be allowed, based on the feat's
            description. A Medium TwoHanded weapon should still be TwoHanded,
            even with this BONUS.

            I'm not sure how simple a fix this would be, plus this is
            anticipatory coding for a (currently) closed source. Please
            prioritize it accordingly.

            Magus 1972