RE: [pcgen] Re: Rokugan??

  • Brass Tilde
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
      > The problem is that it all rests on OA, which is decidedly
      > NOT OGC. If you release sets for Rokugan, they have to refer
      > back to the OA set, which will, for legal reasons, be sold by
      > CMP. The last time this was discussed, there was some
      > hesitance on releasing "free" material that wasn't useful
      > without the PURCHASE of another set.

      I'm not sure exactly why this hesitance is present. After all, the OGC
      content of the Rokugan book is free*, and *it* depends on the PURCHASE of
      another book, does it not? The Rokugan book likely has some statement like
      "Requires the use of the PHB, DMG and OA books". Similarly, the free
      Rokugan data set would need a statement that spelled out its requirement for
      the OA data set.

      I'm afraid that I don't see why the fact that the material upon which the
      Rokugan material is based can't be released for free would in any way
      inhibit releasing that material that *can* be distributed for free. Unless
      it's technically impossible to code up the Rokugan files *without* including
      OA PI in them (though I suspect references alone could fall under fair use
      guidelines), I don't see the two being connected at all. Other than having
      to wait for the pay ones to be completed before completing the free one, but
      that's a technical problem.

      *I'm aware that the Rokugan book itself would not be free. However, the OGC
      material *in* that book could be distributed for free.
    • Mark Perneta
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
        At 08:41 PM 11/30/2003 -0500, Brass Tilde wrote:
        >I'm not sure exactly why this hesitance is present.

        Understand that I'm with you on this one. I really want to see
        these data sets, and have no problem buying the OA set from CMP to make
        them work. However, from looking at the messages I linked to previously,
        the hesitance is definitely there. Dunno.

        Mark.

        --
        The twentieth century was one in which limits on state power were
        removed in order to let the intellectuals run with the ball, and they
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
          Well, I can only speak on CMP's behalf for the hesitancy [CMP Hat on]...

          We're hesitant simply from the last blowup to do anything that would make
          people complain we're shafting PCGen. *shrug* Never mind the fact it's
          making the communities life easier and we're giving back by working closely
          with the data monkeys that make the L5R sets.

          We're not opposed, we just want someone coming back and sniping at us
          anymore over anything. Too many times already it's happened and for a lot
          of things not even related to us.

          W. Robert Reed III
          Mynex
          - #1 Evil Monkey
          - Code Monkey Publishing Co-Founder
          - El Mono Calvo Malvado

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
            > We're not opposed, we just want someone coming back and sniping at us
            > anymore over anything. Too many times already it's happened and for
            > a lot of things not even related to us.

            CMP, at this point, is the only entity that has WotC's approval to produce
            OA files, correct?

            Rokugan files can't be done until the OA files are done, correct?

            CMP likely would *not* do the Rokugan files, as they are "free" ones,
            correct?

            Seems pretty simple to me. CMP does what it does, and the PCGen List
            Monkeys do what they do.

            Mind you, I understand the reluctance to open oneself up to criticism,
            especially that which is undeserved, but it would appear that the
            alternative is to do nothing. Which is even worse, IMNECTHO.

            Are the OA files even started yet?
          • Mynex WOW
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
              OA files are nearing completion... some issues (all code related of course
              *sigh*) for proper support of them, so we're having to come up with
              workarounds.

              And no, at this point, CMP has no plans to produce L5R data sets. Since
              there wouldn't be any conflict of interest, we're more than happy to work
              with any PCGen volunteer data monkeys to create L5R data sets.