Re: [pcgen] Re: Rokugan??

  • Rob Hines Jr.
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
      My understanding of the Rokugan was, that AEG had given permission, but
      that the Rokugan files rely on OA which is closed content being
      distributed by CMP.

      I thought there's been discussion about CMP possibly offering Rokugan
      files as free expansions to OA, but haven't heard anything since then.

      Rob

      EB>At 11:43 2003.11.30, chris wrote:
      EB>>THe main OA book was in PCGen, I am hopeing some day it and the other
      EB>>OA books can be in PCGen...
      EB>>
      EB>>--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "mat cauthon" <sith_polynikes@y...>
      EB>>wrote:
      EB>>> I had some of the CCG until my ex thrwe them all away....Then on a
      EB>>> mission to buy some new material to replace my old....Now lying in
      EB>>> landfill material.
      EB>>>
      EB>>> I ran across Rokugan for RPG......I live in a small town in
      EB>>Illinois
      EB>>> so I don't have a large outlet to material. But I was wondering if
      EB>>> any of the PCGen modes have it??
      EB>
      EB>PCGEN only distribute OGL stuff. OA files are distributed by CMP. I don't know if anyway ever approach the publisher of the Rokogan products about these.
      EB>
      EB>
      EB>-----------------------------------------------------------
      EB>√Čric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin (hiding in the trench)
      EB>>> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
      EB>>> Camels to can climb trees (and sometime eat them).
      EB><mailto:beaudoer@...>
      EB>
      EB>
      EB>
      EB>
      EB>PCGen's release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
      EB>PCGen's alpha build: http://rpg.plambert.net/pcgen
      EB>PCGen's FAQ:
      EB>http://rpg.plambert.net/pcgen/current/_docs/
      EB>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

      Rob

      ----
      Rob Hines Jr.
      Systems Administrator

      (http://www.geekcode.com)
    • Brass Tilde
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
        > The problem is that it all rests on OA, which is decidedly
        > NOT OGC. If you release sets for Rokugan, they have to refer
        > back to the OA set, which will, for legal reasons, be sold by
        > CMP. The last time this was discussed, there was some
        > hesitance on releasing "free" material that wasn't useful
        > without the PURCHASE of another set.

        I'm not sure exactly why this hesitance is present. After all, the OGC
        content of the Rokugan book is free*, and *it* depends on the PURCHASE of
        another book, does it not? The Rokugan book likely has some statement like
        "Requires the use of the PHB, DMG and OA books". Similarly, the free
        Rokugan data set would need a statement that spelled out its requirement for
        the OA data set.

        I'm afraid that I don't see why the fact that the material upon which the
        Rokugan material is based can't be released for free would in any way
        inhibit releasing that material that *can* be distributed for free. Unless
        it's technically impossible to code up the Rokugan files *without* including
        OA PI in them (though I suspect references alone could fall under fair use
        guidelines), I don't see the two being connected at all. Other than having
        to wait for the pay ones to be completed before completing the free one, but
        that's a technical problem.

        *I'm aware that the Rokugan book itself would not be free. However, the OGC
        material *in* that book could be distributed for free.
      • Mark Perneta
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
          At 08:41 PM 11/30/2003 -0500, Brass Tilde wrote:
          >I'm not sure exactly why this hesitance is present.

          Understand that I'm with you on this one. I really want to see
          these data sets, and have no problem buying the OA set from CMP to make
          them work. However, from looking at the messages I linked to previously,
          the hesitance is definitely there. Dunno.

          Mark.

          --
          The twentieth century was one in which limits on state power were
          removed in order to let the intellectuals run with the ball, and they
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
            Well, I can only speak on CMP's behalf for the hesitancy [CMP Hat on]...

            We're hesitant simply from the last blowup to do anything that would make
            people complain we're shafting PCGen. *shrug* Never mind the fact it's
            making the communities life easier and we're giving back by working closely
            with the data monkeys that make the L5R sets.

            We're not opposed, we just want someone coming back and sniping at us
            anymore over anything. Too many times already it's happened and for a lot
            of things not even related to us.

            W. Robert Reed III
            Mynex
            - #1 Evil Monkey
            - Code Monkey Publishing Co-Founder
            - El Mono Calvo Malvado

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
              > We're not opposed, we just want someone coming back and sniping at us
              > anymore over anything. Too many times already it's happened and for
              > a lot of things not even related to us.

              CMP, at this point, is the only entity that has WotC's approval to produce
              OA files, correct?

              Rokugan files can't be done until the OA files are done, correct?

              CMP likely would *not* do the Rokugan files, as they are "free" ones,
              correct?

              Seems pretty simple to me. CMP does what it does, and the PCGen List
              Monkeys do what they do.

              Mind you, I understand the reluctance to open oneself up to criticism,
              especially that which is undeserved, but it would appear that the
              alternative is to do nothing. Which is even worse, IMNECTHO.

              Are the OA files even started yet?
            • Mynex WOW
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
                OA files are nearing completion... some issues (all code related of course
                *sigh*) for proper support of them, so we're having to come up with
                workarounds.

                And no, at this point, CMP has no plans to produce L5R data sets. Since
                there wouldn't be any conflict of interest, we're more than happy to work
                with any PCGen volunteer data monkeys to create L5R data sets.