Re: [pcgen] Re: Rokugan??

  • Mark Perneta
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
      At 04:26 PM 11/30/2003 -0500, Eric Beaudoin wrote:
      >PCGEN only distribute OGL stuff. OA files are distributed by CMP. I don't
      >know if anyway ever approach the publisher of the Rokogan products about these.

      I believe that there has been. Searching the group archive for
      Rokugan will show the entire thread, but try these:

      Rokugan is pretty aggressively OGL - AEG's Declaration of OGC
      explicitly states that all mechanical elements are OGC, and that PI names
      can be used in other OGL products when referring to mechanics.
      The problem is that it all rests on OA, which is decidedly NOT
      OGC. If you release sets for Rokugan, they have to refer back to the OA
      set, which will, for legal reasons, be sold by CMP. The last time this was
      discussed, there was some hesitance on releasing "free" material that
      wasn't useful without the PURCHASE of another set.

      Mark.

      --
      The twentieth century was one in which limits on state power were
      removed in order to let the intellectuals run with the ball, and they
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
        My understanding of the Rokugan was, that AEG had given permission, but
        that the Rokugan files rely on OA which is closed content being
        distributed by CMP.

        I thought there's been discussion about CMP possibly offering Rokugan
        files as free expansions to OA, but haven't heard anything since then.

        Rob

        EB>At 11:43 2003.11.30, chris wrote:
        EB>>THe main OA book was in PCGen, I am hopeing some day it and the other
        EB>>OA books can be in PCGen...
        EB>>
        EB>>--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "mat cauthon" <sith_polynikes@y...>
        EB>>wrote:
        EB>>> I had some of the CCG until my ex thrwe them all away....Then on a
        EB>>> mission to buy some new material to replace my old....Now lying in
        EB>>> landfill material.
        EB>>>
        EB>>> I ran across Rokugan for RPG......I live in a small town in
        EB>>Illinois
        EB>>> so I don't have a large outlet to material. But I was wondering if
        EB>>> any of the PCGen modes have it??
        EB>
        EB>PCGEN only distribute OGL stuff. OA files are distributed by CMP. I don't know if anyway ever approach the publisher of the Rokogan products about these.
        EB>
        EB>
        EB>-----------------------------------------------------------
        EB>√Čric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin (hiding in the trench)
        EB>>> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
        EB>>> Camels to can climb trees (and sometime eat them).
        EB><mailto:beaudoer@...>
        EB>
        EB>
        EB>
        EB>
        EB>PCGen's release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
        EB>PCGen's alpha build: http://rpg.plambert.net/pcgen
        EB>PCGen's FAQ:
        EB>http://rpg.plambert.net/pcgen/current/_docs/
        EB>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

        Rob

        ----
        Rob Hines Jr.
        Systems Administrator

        (http://www.geekcode.com)
      • Brass Tilde
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
          > The problem is that it all rests on OA, which is decidedly
          > NOT OGC. If you release sets for Rokugan, they have to refer
          > back to the OA set, which will, for legal reasons, be sold by
          > CMP. The last time this was discussed, there was some
          > hesitance on releasing "free" material that wasn't useful
          > without the PURCHASE of another set.

          I'm not sure exactly why this hesitance is present. After all, the OGC
          content of the Rokugan book is free*, and *it* depends on the PURCHASE of
          another book, does it not? The Rokugan book likely has some statement like
          "Requires the use of the PHB, DMG and OA books". Similarly, the free
          Rokugan data set would need a statement that spelled out its requirement for
          the OA data set.

          I'm afraid that I don't see why the fact that the material upon which the
          Rokugan material is based can't be released for free would in any way
          inhibit releasing that material that *can* be distributed for free. Unless
          it's technically impossible to code up the Rokugan files *without* including
          OA PI in them (though I suspect references alone could fall under fair use
          guidelines), I don't see the two being connected at all. Other than having
          to wait for the pay ones to be completed before completing the free one, but
          that's a technical problem.

          *I'm aware that the Rokugan book itself would not be free. However, the OGC
          material *in* that book could be distributed for free.
        • Mark Perneta
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
            At 08:41 PM 11/30/2003 -0500, Brass Tilde wrote:
            >I'm not sure exactly why this hesitance is present.

            Understand that I'm with you on this one. I really want to see
            these data sets, and have no problem buying the OA set from CMP to make
            them work. However, from looking at the messages I linked to previously,
            the hesitance is definitely there. Dunno.

            Mark.

            --
            The twentieth century was one in which limits on state power were
            removed in order to let the intellectuals run with the ball, and they
            screwed everything up and turned the century into an abattoir...
            We Americans are the only ones who didn't get creamed at some point
            during all of this. We are free and prosperous because we have
            inherited political and value systems fabricated by a particular set
            of eighteenth-century intellectuals who happened to get it right. But
            we have lost touch with those intellectuals.
            - Neal Stephenson
          • Mynex WOW
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
              Well, I can only speak on CMP's behalf for the hesitancy [CMP Hat on]...

              We're hesitant simply from the last blowup to do anything that would make
              people complain we're shafting PCGen. *shrug* Never mind the fact it's
              making the communities life easier and we're giving back by working closely
              with the data monkeys that make the L5R sets.

              We're not opposed, we just want someone coming back and sniping at us
              anymore over anything. Too many times already it's happened and for a lot
              of things not even related to us.

              W. Robert Reed III
              Mynex
              - #1 Evil Monkey
              - Code Monkey Publishing Co-Founder
              - El Mono Calvo Malvado

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
                > We're not opposed, we just want someone coming back and sniping at us
                > anymore over anything. Too many times already it's happened and for
                > a lot of things not even related to us.

                CMP, at this point, is the only entity that has WotC's approval to produce
                OA files, correct?

                Rokugan files can't be done until the OA files are done, correct?

                CMP likely would *not* do the Rokugan files, as they are "free" ones,
                correct?

                Seems pretty simple to me. CMP does what it does, and the PCGen List
                Monkeys do what they do.

                Mind you, I understand the reluctance to open oneself up to criticism,
                especially that which is undeserved, but it would appear that the
                alternative is to do nothing. Which is even worse, IMNECTHO.

                Are the OA files even started yet?
              • Mynex WOW
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
                  OA files are nearing completion... some issues (all code related of course
                  *sigh*) for proper support of them, so we're having to come up with
                  workarounds.

                  And no, at this point, CMP has no plans to produce L5R data sets. Since
                  there wouldn't be any conflict of interest, we're more than happy to work
                  with any PCGen volunteer data monkeys to create L5R data sets.