Rokugan??

  • mat cauthon
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
      I had some of the CCG until my ex thrwe them all away....Then on a
      mission to buy some new material to replace my old....Now lying in a
      landfill material.

      I ran across Rokugan for RPG......I live in a small town in Illinois
      so I don't have a large outlet to material. But I was wondering if
      any of the PCGen modes have it??
    • chris
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
        THe main OA book was in PCGen, I am hopeing some day it and the other
        OA books can be in PCGen...

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "mat cauthon" <sith_polynikes@y...>
        wrote:
        > I had some of the CCG until my ex thrwe them all away....Then on a
        > mission to buy some new material to replace my old....Now lying in
        > landfill material.
        >
        > I ran across Rokugan for RPG......I live in a small town in
        Illinois
        > so I don't have a large outlet to material. But I was wondering if
        > any of the PCGen modes have it??
      • Eric Beaudoin
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
          At 11:43 2003.11.30, chris wrote:
          >THe main OA book was in PCGen, I am hopeing some day it and the other
          >OA books can be in PCGen...
          >
          >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "mat cauthon" <sith_polynikes@y...>
          >wrote:
          >> I had some of the CCG until my ex thrwe them all away....Then on a
          >> mission to buy some new material to replace my old....Now lying in
          >> landfill material.
          >>
          >> I ran across Rokugan for RPG......I live in a small town in
          >Illinois
          >> so I don't have a large outlet to material. But I was wondering if
          >> any of the PCGen modes have it??

          PCGEN only distribute OGL stuff. OA files are distributed by CMP. I don't know if anyway ever approach the publisher of the Rokogan products about these.

          Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin (hiding in the trench)
          >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
          <mailto:beaudoer@...>
        • Mark Perneta
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
            At 04:43 PM 11/30/2003 +0000, chris wrote:
            >THe main OA book was in PCGen, I am hopeing some day it and the other
            >OA books can be in PCGen...

            The main OA book is (will be?) a CMP set, and unless WotC has a
            major change in legal policy that's where it's going to stay. There is,
            IIRC, work being done on the AEG (Rokugan) releases. The issue is that
            while the Rokugan books can be released as PCGen, they won't work unless
            you buy the OA set.

            Mark.

            --
            The twentieth century was one in which limits on state power were
            removed in order to let the intellectuals run with the ball, and they
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
              At 04:26 PM 11/30/2003 -0500, Eric Beaudoin wrote:
              >PCGEN only distribute OGL stuff. OA files are distributed by CMP. I don't
              >know if anyway ever approach the publisher of the Rokogan products about these.

              I believe that there has been. Searching the group archive for
              Rokugan will show the entire thread, but try these:

              Rokugan is pretty aggressively OGL - AEG's Declaration of OGC
              explicitly states that all mechanical elements are OGC, and that PI names
              can be used in other OGL products when referring to mechanics.
              The problem is that it all rests on OA, which is decidedly NOT
              OGC. If you release sets for Rokugan, they have to refer back to the OA
              set, which will, for legal reasons, be sold by CMP. The last time this was
              discussed, there was some hesitance on releasing "free" material that
              wasn't useful without the PURCHASE of another set.

              Mark.

              --
              The twentieth century was one in which limits on state power were
              removed in order to let the intellectuals run with the ball, and they
              screwed everything up and turned the century into an abattoir...
              We Americans are the only ones who didn't get creamed at some point
              during all of this. We are free and prosperous because we have
              inherited political and value systems fabricated by a particular set
              of eighteenth-century intellectuals who happened to get it right. But
              we have lost touch with those intellectuals.
              - Neal Stephenson
            • Rob Hines Jr.
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
                My understanding of the Rokugan was, that AEG had given permission, but
                that the Rokugan files rely on OA which is closed content being
                distributed by CMP.

                I thought there's been discussion about CMP possibly offering Rokugan
                files as free expansions to OA, but haven't heard anything since then.

                Rob

                EB>At 11:43 2003.11.30, chris wrote:
                EB>>THe main OA book was in PCGen, I am hopeing some day it and the other
                EB>>OA books can be in PCGen...
                EB>>
                EB>>--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "mat cauthon" <sith_polynikes@y...>
                EB>>wrote:
                EB>>> I had some of the CCG until my ex thrwe them all away....Then on a
                EB>>> mission to buy some new material to replace my old....Now lying in
                EB>>> landfill material.
                EB>>>
                EB>>> I ran across Rokugan for RPG......I live in a small town in
                EB>>Illinois
                EB>>> so I don't have a large outlet to material. But I was wondering if
                EB>>> any of the PCGen modes have it??
                EB>
                EB>PCGEN only distribute OGL stuff. OA files are distributed by CMP. I don't know if anyway ever approach the publisher of the Rokogan products about these.
                EB>
                EB>
                EB>-----------------------------------------------------------
                EB>Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin (hiding in the trench)
                EB>>> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                EB>>> Camels to can climb trees (and sometime eat them).
                EB><mailto:beaudoer@...>
                EB>
                EB>
                EB>
                EB>
                EB>PCGen's release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
                EB>PCGen's alpha build: http://rpg.plambert.net/pcgen
                EB>PCGen's FAQ:
                EB>http://rpg.plambert.net/pcgen/current/_docs/
                EB>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                Rob

                ----
                Rob Hines Jr.
                Systems Administrator

                (http://www.geekcode.com)
              • Brass Tilde
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
                  > The problem is that it all rests on OA, which is decidedly
                  > NOT OGC. If you release sets for Rokugan, they have to refer
                  > back to the OA set, which will, for legal reasons, be sold by
                  > CMP. The last time this was discussed, there was some
                  > hesitance on releasing "free" material that wasn't useful
                  > without the PURCHASE of another set.

                  I'm not sure exactly why this hesitance is present. After all, the OGC
                  content of the Rokugan book is free*, and *it* depends on the PURCHASE of
                  another book, does it not? The Rokugan book likely has some statement like
                  "Requires the use of the PHB, DMG and OA books". Similarly, the free
                  Rokugan data set would need a statement that spelled out its requirement for
                  the OA data set.

                  I'm afraid that I don't see why the fact that the material upon which the
                  Rokugan material is based can't be released for free would in any way
                  inhibit releasing that material that *can* be distributed for free. Unless
                  it's technically impossible to code up the Rokugan files *without* including
                  OA PI in them (though I suspect references alone could fall under fair use
                  guidelines), I don't see the two being connected at all. Other than having
                  to wait for the pay ones to be completed before completing the free one, but
                  that's a technical problem.

                  *I'm aware that the Rokugan book itself would not be free. However, the OGC
                  material *in* that book could be distributed for free.
                • Mark Perneta
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
                    At 08:41 PM 11/30/2003 -0500, Brass Tilde wrote:
                    >I'm not sure exactly why this hesitance is present.

                    Understand that I'm with you on this one. I really want to see
                    these data sets, and have no problem buying the OA set from CMP to make
                    them work. However, from looking at the messages I linked to previously,
                    the hesitance is definitely there. Dunno.

                    Mark.

                    --
                    The twentieth century was one in which limits on state power were
                    removed in order to let the intellectuals run with the ball, and they
                    screwed everything up and turned the century into an abattoir...
                    We Americans are the only ones who didn't get creamed at some point
                    during all of this. We are free and prosperous because we have
                    inherited political and value systems fabricated by a particular set
                    of eighteenth-century intellectuals who happened to get it right. But
                    we have lost touch with those intellectuals.
                    - Neal Stephenson
                  • Mynex WOW
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
                      Well, I can only speak on CMP's behalf for the hesitancy [CMP Hat on]...

                      We're hesitant simply from the last blowup to do anything that would make
                      people complain we're shafting PCGen. *shrug* Never mind the fact it's
                      making the communities life easier and we're giving back by working closely
                      with the data monkeys that make the L5R sets.

                      We're not opposed, we just want someone coming back and sniping at us
                      anymore over anything. Too many times already it's happened and for a lot
                      of things not even related to us.

                      W. Robert Reed III
                      Mynex
                      - #1 Evil Monkey
                      - Code Monkey Publishing Co-Founder
                      - El Mono Calvo Malvado

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
                        > We're not opposed, we just want someone coming back and sniping at us
                        > anymore over anything. Too many times already it's happened and for
                        > a lot of things not even related to us.

                        CMP, at this point, is the only entity that has WotC's approval to produce
                        OA files, correct?

                        Rokugan files can't be done until the OA files are done, correct?

                        CMP likely would *not* do the Rokugan files, as they are "free" ones,
                        correct?

                        Seems pretty simple to me. CMP does what it does, and the PCGen List
                        Monkeys do what they do.

                        Mind you, I understand the reluctance to open oneself up to criticism,
                        especially that which is undeserved, but it would appear that the
                        alternative is to do nothing. Which is even worse, IMNECTHO.

                        Are the OA files even started yet?
                      • Mynex WOW
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
                          OA files are nearing completion... some issues (all code related of course
                          *sigh*) for proper support of them, so we're having to come up with
                          workarounds.

                          And no, at this point, CMP has no plans to produce L5R data sets. Since
                          there wouldn't be any conflict of interest, we're more than happy to work
                          with any PCGen volunteer data monkeys to create L5R data sets.