Re: [pcgen] Perform skill

  • Joe Medica
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 30, 2003
      I would say that its GM preference. I always preferred to have the
      Perform skill points separated. Doing stand-up is nothing like playing a
      lyre or other instrument.

      Just my preference. Don't know if PCGEN has that capability...

      Joe

      --- Lonestar <Lonestar@...> wrote:
      > Hi.
      >
      > this is more a rules question than a PCGen related question, but I'll
      > ask it here anyways.
      > I know theres been a lot of discussion about how the perform skill is
      > to be handled...now I'm wondering about the outcome (never really had
      > to use it before). Now I'd like to make a prestige class that requires
      > different kinds of performances...so heres the question:
      > Do Perform skillpoints add up or do I have to keep track of each
      > sepperate performance just like with Knowledge skill (i.e. Perform
      > (standup comedy), Perform (blah),...) and how is it handled in PCGen?
      >

      > Best regards,
      > Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...

      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      http://companion.yahoo.com/
    • Lonestar
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 30, 2003
        JM> I would say that its GM preference. I always preferred to have the
        JM> Perform skill points separated. Doing stand-up is nothing like playing a
        JM> lyre or other instrument.

        JM> Just my preference. Don't know if PCGEN has that capability...

        JM> Joe

        thats what I would prefer, and its also how PCGen handles it. what I
        wanted to know is what the rules say on this topic (how it SHOULD be
        and if PCGen is capable of doing it that way)...

        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 30, 2003
          Well, I know that the rules lump all the performance skills together. As
          a GM, you should just rule that they're separate skills and that players
          need to take things separately. As for your prestige class, I think that
          PCGEN would handle it perfectly as you need.

          Joe

          --- Lonestar <Lonestar@...> wrote:
          > JM> I would say that its GM preference. I always preferred to have the
          > JM> Perform skill points separated. Doing stand-up is nothing like
          > playing a
          > JM> lyre or other instrument.
          >
          > JM> Just my preference. Don't know if PCGEN has that capability...
          >
          > JM> Joe
          >
          > thats what I would prefer, and its also how PCGen handles it. what I
          > wanted to know is what the rules say on this topic (how it SHOULD be
          > and if PCGen is capable of doing it that way)...
          >

          > JM> --- Lonestar <Lonestar@...> wrote:
          > >> Hi.
          > >>
          > >> this is more a rules question than a PCGen related question, but I'll
          > >> ask it here anyways.
          > >> I know theres been a lot of discussion about how the perform skill is
          > >> to be handled...now I'm wondering about the outcome (never really had
          > >> to use it before). Now I'd like to make a prestige class that
          > requires
          > >> different kinds of performances...so heres the question:
          > >> Do Perform skillpoints add up or do I have to keep track of each
          > >> sepperate performance just like with Knowledge skill (i.e. Perform
          > >> (standup comedy), Perform (blah),...) and how is it handled in PCGen?
          > >>

          > Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...

          Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
          http://companion.yahoo.com/
        • Chuck Pint
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 30, 2003
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Joe Medica <cellowyn2@y...> wrote:
            > Well, I know that the rules lump all the performance skills
            together. As
            > a GM, you should just rule that they're separate skills and that
            players
            > need to take things separately. As for your prestige class, I
            think that
            > PCGEN would handle it perfectly as you need.
            >
            > Joe

            Just add a new custom skills file and add entries like this:

            Perform (Singing) KEYSTAT:CHA EXCLUSIVE:NO
            USEUNTRAINED:NO CLASSES:Bard|Rogue|Monk TYPE:Charisma.perform

            Just for everyone else, I also added the following:

            Perform (Untrained) KEYSTAT:CHA EXCLUSIVE:NO
            USEUNTRAINED:YES TYPE:Charisma.perform

            The first adds a skill set like Craft or Knowledge. They are class
            skills for Bards, Rogues and Monks, non-class skills for everyone
            else. Note that the USEUNTRAINED:NO tag means it will not show up
            until you have at least one rank in it. You can add more like it and
            pick different Perform skills. You can also see the total of all
            Perform skills if you need it. The (Untrained) version is nice for
            performance skills the character does not know, but wants to try
            anyway.

            Chuck