Can't save my PC with 5.4x

  • Eric Beaudoin
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 24, 2003
      Hi I've tried updating a PC that I created with version 5.2 of PCGEN. I basically added a new level of Loremaster to it. When I press the Save button, I get a "Could not save Alexis" message. Same thing with Save As... When I look at the .PCG file afterward, it has 0 bytes (good thing I was working on a copy :-).

      There were a few messages when I loaded (no more proficient in gauntlet and something similar).

      I'm using a freshly updated and rebuild PCGEN from the 5.4x branch.
      I also tried with the latest HEAD version with the same result.

      Anyone has a clue of what is happening there?

      Here's what can be seen on the console (the exception is generated after I click OK on the "Could not save Alexis" dialog).

      Could not save Alexis
      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at pcgen.core.Equipment.formatSaveLine(Equipment.java:3609)
      at pcgen.io.PCGVer2Creator.appendEquipmentLines(PCGVer2Creator.java:1447)
      at pcgen.io.PCGVer2Creator.createPCGString(PCGVer2Creator.java:313)
      at pcgen.io.PCGIOHandler.write(PCGIOHandler.java:127)
      at pcgen.io.IOHandler.write(IOHandler.java:87)
      at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1.savePC(PCGen_Frame1.java:1529)
      at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1.saveAsItem_actionPerformed(PCGen_Frame1.java:1403)
      at pcgen.gui.FrameActionListener$6.actionPerformed(FrameActionListener.java:119)
      at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1764)
      at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1817)
      at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:419)
      at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:257)
      at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:289)
      at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1113)
      at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$MouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:943)
      at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5134)
      at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3639)
      at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1623)
      at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:3450)
      at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3165)
      at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3095)
      at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1609)
      at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent(PCGen_Frame1.java:2542)
      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:197)
      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:150)
      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:144)
      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:136)
      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:99)

      P.S. I don't know if it is related but PCGEN is slow as Hell when I display the Class, Spell or Inventory tab. For the Spell tab, the CPU goes to 100% and stay there over 1 minute. No message is displayed in the Console when the 100% thing happen.

      TIA

      Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin (hiding in the trench)
      >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
      <mailto:beaudoer@...>
    • Jayme Cox
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 25, 2003
        Eric Beaudoin wrote:

        > Anyone has a clue of what is happening there?
        >
        > Could not save Alexis java.lang.NullPointerException at
        > pcgen.core.Equipment.formatSaveLine(Equipment.java:3609)

        Probably caused by this line:

        base = Globals.getEquipmentNamed(baseItem);

        Looks like Alexis has an equipment item that PCGen can't find the
        baseItem for. Probably something that was renamed between 5.2 and 5.4

        Not sure exactly the best way to fix it, but you could look at your .pcg
        and see if any EQUIPMENT: lines stand out.
      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 25, 2003
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...> wrote:

          > P.S. I don't know if it is related but PCGEN is slow as Hell when I
          display the Class, Spell or Inventory tab. For the Spell tab, the CPU
          goes to 100% and stay there over 1 minute. No message is displayed in
          the Console when the 100% thing happen.

          Hm, I've been getting that also. I thought it was related to my custom
          lst files. That's what lead to a spat of minor error I reported last
          week. Whilst cleaning my files I found a few in others. But if someone
          else is getting it...

          Let me ask: do you load a campaign pcc file? I.e. one pcc file which
          calls all of the pcc files for the sources you use in your campaign.
          The program seems to do it more when I use the campaign file than when
          I load each source individually.
        • Eric Beaudoin
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 25, 2003
            At 03:43 2003.11.25, Jayme Cox wrote:
            >Eric Beaudoin wrote:
            >
            >> Anyone has a clue of what is happening there?
            >>
            >> Could not save Alexis java.lang.NullPointerException at
            >> pcgen.core.Equipment.formatSaveLine(Equipment.java:3609)
            >
            >Probably caused by this line:
            >
            >base = Globals.getEquipmentNamed(baseItem);
            >
            >Looks like Alexis has an equipment item that PCGen can't find the
            >baseItem for. Probably something that was renamed between 5.2 and 5.4
            >
            >Not sure exactly the best way to fix it, but you could look at your .pcg
            >and see if any EQUIPMENT: lines stand out.

            Thanks Jayme, I have a lot of custom equipment but with this info, I should be able to find out.

            Do you think a check could be added so the exception doesn't happen and an error message is displayed instead? It occur to me that either there is a name change in the BASEITEM name or the .lst file containing the BASEITEM name is not loaded. There is more possibilities of this happening than the rename thingy (I think).

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 25, 2003
              At 07:40 2003.11.25, taluroniscandar wrote:

              >> P.S. I don't know if it is related but PCGEN is slow as Hell when I
              >display the Class, Spell or Inventory tab. For the Spell tab, the CPU
              >goes to 100% and stay there over 1 minute. No message is displayed in
              >the Console when the 100% thing happen.
              >>

              >Hm, I've been getting that also. I thought it was related to my custom
              >lst files. That's what lead to a spat of minor error I reported last
              >week. Whilst cleaning my files I found a few in others. But if someone
              >else is getting it...
              >
              >Let me ask: do you load a campaign pcc file? I.e. one pcc file which
              >calls all of the pcc files for the sources you use in your campaign.
              >The program seems to do it more when I use the campaign file than when
              >I load each source individually.

              Nope, I load separate .PCC for a number of sources. I have very little custom source but I do use some of the CMP files.

              It might be a old syntax that is no longer digested properly by PCGEN ?

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 25, 2003
                Eric Beaudoin wrote:

                > Do you think a check could be added so the exception doesn't happen
                > and an error message is displayed instead?

                Done and checked into CVS for next autobuild
              • taluroniscandar
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 26, 2003
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...> wrote:
                  > At 07:40 2003.11.25, taluroniscandar wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> P.S. I don't know if it is related but PCGEN is slow as Hell when I
                  > >display the Class, Spell or Inventory tab. For the Spell tab, the CPU
                  > >goes to 100% and stay there over 1 minute. No message is displayed in
                  > >the Console when the 100% thing happen.
                  > >>

                  > >Hm, I've been getting that also. I thought it was related to my custom
                  > >lst files. That's what lead to a spat of minor error I reported last
                  > >week. Whilst cleaning my files I found a few in others. But if someone
                  > >else is getting it...
                  > >
                  > >Let me ask: do you load a campaign pcc file? I.e. one pcc file which
                  > >calls all of the pcc files for the sources you use in your campaign.
                  > >The program seems to do it more when I use the campaign file than when
                  > >I load each source individually.
                  >
                  > Nope, I load separate .PCC for a number of sources. I have very
                  little custom source but I do use some of the CMP files.

                  What versio are you using. The CMP files are only vetted up to 5.4.1.

                  > It might be a old syntax that is no longer digested properly by PCGEN ?

                  Could be. You can try looking at the console view after you load
                  sources. I lists backrev problems. BTW, if you open and clear the
                  console after opening PCGen but before loading sources it's easier to
                  see any errors. They're there without the java startup reports.
                • Eric Beaudoin
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 26, 2003
                    At 07:57 2003.11.26, taluroniscandar wrote:
                    >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...> wrote:

                    >> >display the Class, Spell or Inventory tab. For the Spell tab, the CPU
                    >> >goes to 100% and stay there over 1 minute. No message is displayed in
                    >> >the Console when the 100% thing happen.
                    >> >>

                    >> >Hm, I've been getting that also. I thought it was related to my custom
                    >> >lst files. That's what lead to a spat of minor error I reported last
                    >> >week. Whilst cleaning my files I found a few in others. But if someone
                    >> >else is getting it...
                    >> >
                    >> >Let me ask: do you load a campaign pcc file? I.e. one pcc file which
                    >> >calls all of the pcc files for the sources you use in your campaign.
                    >> >The program seems to do it more when I use the campaign file than when
                    >> >I load each source individually.
                    >>
                    >> Nope, I load separate .PCC for a number of sources. I have very
                    >little custom source but I do use some of the CMP files.
                    >
                    >What versio are you using. The CMP files are only vetted up to 5.4.1.

                    Don't forget that I'm the prettylst.pl creator/maintainer. My version of the files are for 5.4.1 and the lastest beta release ;-).

                    >> It might be a old syntax that is no longer digested properly by PCGEN ?
                    >
                    >Could be. You can try looking at the console view after you load
                    >sources. I lists backrev problems. BTW, if you open and clear the
                    >console after opening PCGen but before loading sources it's easier to
                    >see any errors. They're there without the java startup reports.

                    There are no loading error left. I got rid of them all. There are also no error when I add stuff to PCs. There is either a deprecate syntax problem or a code problem. The one thing I'm sure of is that the only way PCGEN bitchs about the problem is by being slower than postal service.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 26, 2003
                      At 02:49 2003.11.26, Jayme Cox wrote:
                      >Eric Beaudoin wrote:
                      >
                      >> Do you think a check could be added so the exception doesn't happen
                      >> and an error message is displayed instead?
                      >
                      >Done and checked into CVS for next autobuild

                      I don't know if it is related to your change but when I try to load my campain files with the PCGEN version I just updated and recompiled from CVS, I get the following exception:

                      java.lang.ClassCastException
                      at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.loadLstFiles(LstObjectFileLoader.java:136)
                      at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.loadCampaigns(LstSystemLoader.java:520)
                      at pcgen.persistence.PersistenceManager.loadCampaigns(PersistenceManager.java:101)
                      at pcgen.gui.MainSource.loadCampaigns(MainSource.java:1008)
                      at pcgen.gui.MainSource.loadCampaigns_actionPerformed(MainSource.java:903)
                      at pcgen.gui.MainSource.access$200(MainSource.java:105)
                      at pcgen.gui.MainSource$2.actionPerformed(MainSource.java:325)
                      at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1764)
                      at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1817)
                      at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:419)
                      at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:257)
                      at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:245)
                      at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:228)
                      at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5134)
                      at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3639)
                      at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1623)
                      at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:3450)
                      at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3165)
                      at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3095)
                      at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1609)
                      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:197)
                      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:150)
                      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:144)
                      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:136)
                      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:99)

                      The campain files still load without error with PCGEN 5.4.1

                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 26, 2003
                        Eric Beaudoin wrote:

                        > I don't know if it is related to your change but when I try to load
                        > my campain files with the PCGEN version I just updated and recompiled
                        > from CVS, I get the following exception:
                        >
                        > java.lang.ClassCastException at
                        > pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.loadLstFiles(LstObjectFileLoader.java:136)

                        I would say you have a .pcc file with an illegal filename or path or
                        something. Probably one of your skill files...
                      • Stefan Radermacher
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 26, 2003
                          Jayme Cox wrote:

                          >>I don't know if it is related to your change but when I try to load
                          >>my campain files with the PCGEN version I just updated and recompiled
                          >>from CVS, I get the following exception:
                          >>
                          >>java.lang.ClassCastException at
                          >>pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.loadLstFiles(LstObjectFileLoader.java:136)
                          >
                          > I would say you have a .pcc file with an illegal filename or path or
                          > something. Probably one of your skill files...

                          I get the same mistake with the autobuild (and CVS build) too, even if I
                          just try to load a single source file, SRD 3.0 or 3.5.

                          Regards,
                          Stefan.
                        • Eric Beaudoin
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 26, 2003
                            At 22:13 2003.11.26, Jayme Cox wrote:
                            >Eric Beaudoin wrote:
                            >
                            >> I don't know if it is related to your change but when I try to load
                            >> my campain files with the PCGEN version I just updated and recompiled
                            >> from CVS, I get the following exception:
                            >>
                            >> java.lang.ClassCastException at
                            >> pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.loadLstFiles(LstObjectFileLoader.java:136)
                            >
                            >I would say you have a .pcc file with an illegal filename or path or
                            >something. Probably one of your skill files...

                            I'll check but I don't think it is the case. The prettylst.pl script verify that all the .lst files in the .pcc exist and are loadable. Unless there are things illigal in PCGEN file names that are not normally illigal on a Windows file system?

                            BTW, the files load fine with 5.4.1 and were loading fine with the HEAD branch yesterday night.

                            Let me know what I should look for.

                            Éric Beaudoin <mailto:beaudoer@...>
                          • Jayme Cox
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 26, 2003
                              > Eric Beaudoin wrote:
                              >
                              >>I don't know if it is related to your change but when I try to load
                              >>my campain files with the PCGEN version I just updated and recompiled
                              >>from CVS, I get the following exception:

                              sage_sam was updating the persistence loading code today, so you may
                              have caught the middle of that. Grab the latest autobuild and see if you
                              are still having the same problems...

                              --Jayme
                            • James Dempsey
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 27, 2003

                                This has now been fixed in CVS. The problem was that the new skills loading
                                routine was choking on the custom skills file, even if empty.

                                James Dempsey
                                JDempsey@...
                                PCGEN Code Monkey

                                >> I don't know if it is related to your change but when I try to load
                                >> my campain files with the PCGEN version I just updated and recompiled
                                >> from CVS, I get the following exception:
                                >>
                                >> java.lang.ClassCastException at

                                pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader.loadLstFiles(LstObjectFileLoader.j
                                ava:136)

                                >I would say you have a .pcc file with an illegal filename or path or
                                >something. Probably one of your skill files...

                                I'll check but I don't think it is the case. The prettylst.pl script verify
                                that all the .lst files in the .pcc exist and are loadable. Unless there are
                                things illigal in PCGEN file names that are not normally illigal on a
                                Windows file system?

                                BTW, the files load fine with 5.4.1 and were loading fine with the HEAD
                                branch yesterday night.

                                Let me know what I should look for.
                              • Lonestar
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 27, 2003
                                  Hi.

                                  this is more a rules question than a PCGen related question, but I'll
                                  ask it here anyways.
                                  I know theres been a lot of discussion about how the perform skill is
                                  to be handled...now I'm wondering about the outcome (never really had
                                  to use it before). Now I'd like to make a prestige class that requires
                                  different kinds of performances...so heres the question:
                                  Do Perform skillpoints add up or do I have to keep track of each
                                  sepperate performance just like with Knowledge skill (i.e. Perform
                                  (standup comedy), Perform (blah),...) and how is it handled in PCGen?

                                  Best regards,
                                  Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
                                • Paul W. King
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 27, 2003
                                    > Do Perform skillpoints add up or do I have to keep track of each
                                    > sepperate performance just like with Knowledge skill (i.e. Perform
                                    > (standup comedy), Perform (blah),...) and how is it handled in
                                    > PCGen?

                                    In 3.0, Perform was just a skill, and you had separate performance
                                    types, but all your ranks rolled up together. The PCGen file
                                    doesn't have you choose performance types.

                                    In 3.5, Peform became like Craft and Knowledge, where each
                                    performance type was its own skill. The PCGen file has you choose
                                    performance types.

                                    Does that answer your question?

                                    Paul W. King
                                    OGL SB and BoD
                                  • Eric Beaudoin
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 27, 2003
                                      At 04:30 2003.11.27, James Dempsey wrote:
                                      >Hi,
                                      >
                                      >This has now been fixed in CVS. The problem was that the new skills loading
                                      >routine was choking on the custom skills file, even if empty.
                                      >
                                      >Cheers,

                                      It was indeed and I can now also save my character :-). Either you or Jayme manage to make the exception that was happening when I saved my character go away.

                                      Thanks!!!

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 27, 2003
                                        Hello Paul,

                                        >> Do Perform skillpoints add up or do I have to keep track of each
                                        >> sepperate performance just like with Knowledge skill (i.e. Perform
                                        >> (standup comedy), Perform (blah),...) and how is it handled in
                                        >> PCGen?

                                        PWK> In 3.0, Perform was just a skill, and you had separate performance
                                        PWK> types, but all your ranks rolled up together. The PCGen file
                                        PWK> doesn't have you choose performance types.

                                        so if I have a prestige class that requires 5 ranks in 2 performance
                                        types, would ir require 5 ranks in performance or 10 ranks in
                                        performance?

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 27, 2003
                                          At 18:45 2003.11.27, Lonestar wrote:
                                          >>> Do Perform skillpoints add up or do I have to keep track of each
                                          >>> sepperate performance just like with Knowledge skill (i.e. Perform
                                          >>> (standup comedy), Perform (blah),...) and how is it handled in
                                          >>> PCGen?
                                          >
                                          >PWK> In 3.0, Perform was just a skill, and you had separate performance
                                          >PWK> types, but all your ranks rolled up together. The PCGen file
                                          >PWK> doesn't have you choose performance types.
                                          >

                                          >so if I have a prestige class that requires 5 ranks in 2 performance
                                          >types, would ir require 5 ranks in performance or 10 ranks in
                                          >performance?

                                          You would have to check if the source works with 3.0 or with 3.5. If it's a source that works with 3.0, this mean that it has a special Perform rule because it doesn't really make any sence otherwise. There is only one Perform to put rank in with 3.0.

                                          With 3.5, that would mean:

                                          PRESKILL:2,TYPE.Perform=5 (or maybe PRESKILL:2,TYPE.Perform,TYPE.Perform=5)

                                          Hope that helps.

                                          Éric Beaudoin <mailto:beaudoer@...>
                                        • Andrew Wardell
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 27, 2003
                                            On 28 Nov 2003 at 0:45, Lonestar wrote:

                                            > so if I have a prestige class that requires 5 ranks in 2 performance
                                            > types, would ir require 5 ranks in performance or 10 ranks in
                                            > performance?

                                            In 3.0, that would require 5 ranks in Perform (as the character would
                                            effectively have 5 ranks in 5 different performance types)

                                            In 3.5, that would require 5 ranks in one Perform subskill, and
                                            *another* 5 ranks in a different Perform subskill.

                                            Andrew Wardell
                                            andrew.wardell@...
                                          • Brass Tilde
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 27, 2003
                                              > > so if I have a prestige class that requires 5 ranks in 2 performance
                                              > > types, would ir require 5 ranks in performance or 10 ranks in
                                              > > performance?
                                              >
                                              > In 3.5, that would require 5 ranks in one Perform subskill, and
                                              > *another* 5 ranks in a different Perform subskill.

                                              Are you sure about that? It seems to me that one would need to see the
                                              actual text of the prestige class to know the answer to that question. It
                                              might mean what you've said, or it might mean something more akin to the 3.0
                                              definition, i.e. 5 ranks spread over at least 2 forms of Perform. It would
                                              depend largely on how the actual requirement is phrased.
                                            • Lonestar
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 28, 2003
                                                Hello Brass,

                                                Friday, November 28, 2003, 3:11:47 AM, you wrote:

                                                >> > so if I have a prestige class that requires 5 ranks in 2 performance
                                                >> > types, would ir require 5 ranks in performance or 10 ranks in
                                                >> > performance?
                                                >>
                                                >> In 3.5, that would require 5 ranks in one Perform subskill, and
                                                >> *another* 5 ranks in a different Perform subskill.

                                                BT> Are you sure about that? It seems to me that one would need to see the
                                                BT> actual text of the prestige class to know the answer to that question. It
                                                BT> might mean what you've said, or it might mean something more akin to the 3.0
                                                BT> definition, i.e. 5 ranks spread over at least 2 forms of Perform. It would
                                                BT> depend largely on how the actual requirement is phrased.

                                                thought it was rather obvious that I'm talking about 3.0.

                                                the class I'm talking about requires 3 ranks in Perform (sing) and 3
                                                ranks in Perform (dance). the way it is now PCGen expects me to have 6
                                                total skillpoints for that and I wasnt sure if this was correct or
                                                not. the way I read the previous answers pcgen should ask me to enter
                                                the performance type every time I add a Perfrom skillpoint. this doesn't
                                                happen atm, so you can add this as bug report/feature request ;)

                                                Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
                                              • Joe Medica
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Nov 30, 2003
                                                  I would say that its GM preference. I always preferred to have the
                                                  Perform skill points separated. Doing stand-up is nothing like playing a
                                                  lyre or other instrument.

                                                  Just my preference. Don't know if PCGEN has that capability...

                                                  Joe

                                                  --- Lonestar <Lonestar@...> wrote:
                                                  > Hi.
                                                  >
                                                  > this is more a rules question than a PCGen related question, but I'll
                                                  > ask it here anyways.
                                                  > I know theres been a lot of discussion about how the perform skill is
                                                  > to be handled...now I'm wondering about the outcome (never really had
                                                  > to use it before). Now I'd like to make a prestige class that requires
                                                  > different kinds of performances...so heres the question:
                                                  > Do Perform skillpoints add up or do I have to keep track of each
                                                  > sepperate performance just like with Knowledge skill (i.e. Perform
                                                  > (standup comedy), Perform (blah),...) and how is it handled in PCGen?
                                                  >

                                                  > Best regards,
                                                  > Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...

                                                  Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
                                                  http://companion.yahoo.com/
                                                • Lonestar
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Nov 30, 2003
                                                    JM> I would say that its GM preference. I always preferred to have the
                                                    JM> Perform skill points separated. Doing stand-up is nothing like playing a
                                                    JM> lyre or other instrument.

                                                    JM> Just my preference. Don't know if PCGEN has that capability...

                                                    JM> Joe

                                                    thats what I would prefer, and its also how PCGen handles it. what I
                                                    wanted to know is what the rules say on this topic (how it SHOULD be
                                                    and if PCGen is capable of doing it that way)...

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Nov 30, 2003
                                                      Well, I know that the rules lump all the performance skills together. As
                                                      a GM, you should just rule that they're separate skills and that players
                                                      need to take things separately. As for your prestige class, I think that
                                                      PCGEN would handle it perfectly as you need.

                                                      Joe

                                                      --- Lonestar <Lonestar@...> wrote:
                                                      > JM> I would say that its GM preference. I always preferred to have the
                                                      > JM> Perform skill points separated. Doing stand-up is nothing like
                                                      > playing a
                                                      > JM> lyre or other instrument.
                                                      >
                                                      > JM> Just my preference. Don't know if PCGEN has that capability...
                                                      >
                                                      > JM> Joe
                                                      >
                                                      > thats what I would prefer, and its also how PCGen handles it. what I
                                                      > wanted to know is what the rules say on this topic (how it SHOULD be
                                                      > and if PCGen is capable of doing it that way)...
                                                      >

                                                      > JM> --- Lonestar <Lonestar@...> wrote:
                                                      > >> Hi.
                                                      > >>
                                                      > >> this is more a rules question than a PCGen related question, but I'll
                                                      > >> ask it here anyways.
                                                      > >> I know theres been a lot of discussion about how the perform skill is
                                                      > >> to be handled...now I'm wondering about the outcome (never really had
                                                      > >> to use it before). Now I'd like to make a prestige class that
                                                      > requires
                                                      > >> different kinds of performances...so heres the question:
                                                      > >> Do Perform skillpoints add up or do I have to keep track of each
                                                      > >> sepperate performance just like with Knowledge skill (i.e. Perform
                                                      > >> (standup comedy), Perform (blah),...) and how is it handled in PCGen?
                                                      > >>

                                                      > Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...

                                                      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
                                                      http://companion.yahoo.com/
                                                    • Chuck Pint
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Nov 30, 2003
                                                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Joe Medica <cellowyn2@y...> wrote:
                                                        > Well, I know that the rules lump all the performance skills
                                                        together. As
                                                        > a GM, you should just rule that they're separate skills and that
                                                        players
                                                        > need to take things separately. As for your prestige class, I
                                                        think that
                                                        > PCGEN would handle it perfectly as you need.
                                                        >
                                                        > Joe

                                                        Just add a new custom skills file and add entries like this:

                                                        Perform (Singing) KEYSTAT:CHA EXCLUSIVE:NO
                                                        USEUNTRAINED:NO CLASSES:Bard|Rogue|Monk TYPE:Charisma.perform

                                                        Just for everyone else, I also added the following:

                                                        Perform (Untrained) KEYSTAT:CHA EXCLUSIVE:NO
                                                        USEUNTRAINED:YES TYPE:Charisma.perform

                                                        The first adds a skill set like Craft or Knowledge. They are class
                                                        skills for Bards, Rogues and Monks, non-class skills for everyone
                                                        else. Note that the USEUNTRAINED:NO tag means it will not show up
                                                        until you have at least one rank in it. You can add more like it and
                                                        pick different Perform skills. You can also see the total of all
                                                        Perform skills if you need it. The (Untrained) version is nice for
                                                        performance skills the character does not know, but wants to try
                                                        anyway.

                                                        Chuck