Re: [pcgen] [DOCS] [798013] DEFINE TAG Doc improvement

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
      Thanks Barak

      So to sum up-
      1) To truncate is to drop the decimal or in other words round down.

      2) To truncate an operation one should enclose it in perenthisis like so:
      (a+b).TRUNC (I'll be fixing the example in the docs).

      One last question, can you truncate a variable? or this even nessissary?

      For example DEFINE:FooDoo|CL/3
      Will FooDoo already be truncated as it is the result of a completed formula?

      Thanks for the info on the Total variable for the CONTAINS tag, I think I
      have enough to make some edits.

      --
      Eddy
      PCGen Doc Gibbon
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
        > Thanks Barak

        No problem.

        > So to sum up-
        > 1) To truncate is to drop the decimal or in other words round down.

        Correct.

        > 2) To truncate an operation one should enclose it in perenthisis
        > like so:(a+b).TRUNC (I'll be fixing the example in the docs).

        Correct again (as I understand it)... PCGen has some strange ways of
        determining precedence, but the above will guarantee that the
        operation gets truncated and not just the last operand.

        > One last question, can you truncate a variable? or this even
        > nessissary?

        I think you could, but unless someone enters a decimal in the variable
        in a .lst file, I wouldn't see any need to.

        > For example DEFINE:FooDoo|CL/3
        > Will FooDoo already be truncated as it is the result of a completed
        > formula?

        Yes. That's how a lot of our SA tags that use variables work. To use
        your example:

        SA:Foo Doo Ability %/day|FooDoo

        This would show nothing until third level and then it would show Foo
        Doo Ability 1/day until sixth level where it would show Foo Doo
        Ability 2/day, etc.

        > Thanks for the info on the Total variable for the CONTAINS tag, I
        > think I have enough to make some edits.

        Good! it's nice to see the docs being fixed up. Thanks to you and
        Shane!

        Barak (at the local CC)
        ~ PCGen BoD
        ~ OS Silverback