[DOCS] [828011] PRExxx errors

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 29, 2003
      This tracker states that None of the PRExxx tags may contain the '|'
      character. Currently the docs have: PRERACE: PRESTAT: PRETEMPLATE: PRETYPE:
      as using '|' as part of the arguments.

      The first three tags do not present any problems with this change but
      PRETYPE specifically mentions the use of '|' in a certain way.

      Tag Name: PRETYPE:x,x|x

      Variables Used (x): Text (A type name).
      Variables Used (x): EQMODTYPE (A type name for an eqmod).
      Variables Used (x): EQMODA (name for a specific eqmod).

      What it does:

      Make specific TYPES or EQMODs a prerequisite. use a comma (,) delimiter to
      indicate AND use a pipe (|) delimiter to indicate OR
      Examples:

      PRETYPE:Magic,Piercing|Slashing
      Type must be magic AND piercing (OR slashing)

      My guess on the use of this is that you can't use '|' and there is no OR.
      So if you need to use an either or you must resort to an .IF.THEN statement.
      Anyone want to fill me in?
      --
      Eddy
      PCGen Doc Gibbon
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 29, 2003
        > This tracker states that None of the PRExxx tags may contain the '|'
        > character. Currently the docs have: PRERACE: PRESTAT: PRETEMPLATE:
        PRETYPE:
        > as using '|' as part of the arguments.
        >
        > The first three tags do not present any problems with this change
        but
        > PRETYPE specifically mentions the use of '|' in a certain way.

        > Tag Name: PRETYPE:x,x|x
        >
        > Variables Used (x): Text (A type name).
        > Variables Used (x): EQMODTYPE (A type name for an eqmod).
        > Variables Used (x): EQMODA (name for a specific eqmod).
        >
        > What it does:
        >
        > Make specific TYPES or EQMODs a prerequisite. use a comma (,)
        delimiter to
        > indicate AND use a pipe (|) delimiter to indicate OR
        > Examples:
        >
        > PRETYPE:Magic,Piercing|Slashing
        > Type must be magic AND piercing (OR slashing)
        >
        > My guess on the use of this is that you can't use '|' and there is
        no OR.
        > So if you need to use an either or you must resort to an .IF.THEN
        statement.
        > Anyone want to fill me in?
        > --
        > Eddy
        > PCGen Doc Gibbon

        or you could use this:

        PREMULT:1,[PRETYPE:Magic,Piercing],[PRETYPE:Slashing]

        Haven't tested myself, but should work.

        Felipe
        - OS & Code Gibbon
      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 29, 2003
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Felipe F. Diniz" <fdiniz@i...> wrote:
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...> wrote:
          > > This tracker states that None of the PRExxx tags may contain the '|'
          > > character. Currently the docs have: PRERACE: PRESTAT: PRETEMPLATE:
          > PRETYPE:
          > > as using '|' as part of the arguments.
          > >
          > > The first three tags do not present any problems with this change
          > but
          > > PRETYPE specifically mentions the use of '|' in a certain way.

          > > Tag Name: PRETYPE:x,x|x
          > >
          > > Variables Used (x): Text (A type name).
          > > Variables Used (x): EQMODTYPE (A type name for an eqmod).
          > > Variables Used (x): EQMODA (name for a specific eqmod).
          > >
          > > What it does:
          > >
          > > Make specific TYPES or EQMODs a prerequisite. use a comma (,)
          > delimiter to
          > > indicate AND use a pipe (|) delimiter to indicate OR
          > > Examples:
          > >
          > > PRETYPE:Magic,Piercing|Slashing
          > > Type must be magic AND piercing (OR slashing)
          > >
          > > My guess on the use of this is that you can't use '|' and there is
          > no OR.
          > > So if you need to use an either or you must resort to an .IF.THEN
          > statement.
          > > Anyone want to fill me in?
          > > --

          This is used in the equipmod files for allowing/disallowing different
          special abilities to be placed on certain weapon types. Ex. Keen,
          Vorpal and Disruption. The | does work as an 'OR' there but I think it
          was originally coded as specific to equipmods. Not sure though.
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 29, 2003
            Felipe F. Diniz wrote:

            > or you could use this:
            >
            > PREMULT:1,[PRETYPE:Magic,Piercing],[PRETYPE:Slashing]
            > Felipe
            > - OS & Code Gibbon

            Slick Felipe, One last question: this tag looks like its use is limited to
            use in equimods, is this so and should the docs say this?

            --
            Eddy
            PCGen Doc Gibbon
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 29, 2003
              Oh no... It goes anywhere any other PRE can go.

              Barak
              ~PCGen BoD
              ~OS Silverback

            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 29, 2003
                Barak wrote:

                > Oh no... It goes anywhere any other PRE can go.
                >
                > Barak
                > ~PCGen BoD
                > ~OS Silverback

                OK then, that clears up that.
                Submitted for review:
                Tag Name: PRETYPE:x,x

                Variables Used (x): Text (A type name).
                Variables Used (x): EQMODTYPE (A type name for an eqmod).
                Variables Used (x): EQMODA (name for a specific eqmod).

                What it does:

                Make specific TYPES or EQMODs a prerequisite.
                use a comma (,) delimiter to indicate AND
                you can use conditionals - e.g.
                PRETYPE:.IF.TYPE=Armor.Shield.Weapon.THEN.EQMODTYPE=MagicalEnhancement
                .IF.TYPE= is the only condition currently supported for eqModifiers

                Examples:

                PRETYPE:Magic,Piercing
                Type must be magic AND piercing

                PRETYPE:EQMODTYPE="eqmodtype"
                Use to test for any modifier with "eqmodtype" type.

                PRETYPE:EQMOD="eqmodtype"
                Use to test for a specific eqModifer.
              • glddragon35
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 29, 2003
                  > Barak wrote:
                  >
                  > > Oh no... It goes anywhere any other PRE can go.
                  > >
                  > > Barak
                  > > ~PCGen BoD
                  > > ~OS Silverback
                  >
                  > OK then, that clears up that.
                  > Submitted for review:
                  > Tag Name: PRETYPE:x,x
                  >
                  > Variables Used (x): Text (A type name).
                  > Variables Used (x): EQMODTYPE (A type name for an eqmod).
                  > Variables Used (x): EQMODA (name for a specific eqmod).
                  >
                  > What it does:
                  >
                  > Make specific TYPES or EQMODs a prerequisite.
                  > use a comma (,) delimiter to indicate AND
                  > you can use conditionals - e.g.

                  PRETYPE:.IF.TYPE=Armor.Shield.Weapon.THEN.EQMODTYPE=MagicalEnhancement
                  > .IF.TYPE= is the only condition currently supported for eqModifiers
                  >
                  > Examples:
                  >
                  > PRETYPE:Magic,Piercing
                  > Type must be magic AND piercing
                  >
                  > PRETYPE:EQMODTYPE="eqmodtype"
                  > Use to test for any modifier with "eqmodtype" type.
                  >
                  > PRETYPE:EQMOD="eqmodtype"
                  > Use to test for a specific eqModifer.

                  Pipe (|) does work for OR, but x,y|z will return true if x,y is met
                  and also if just z is met... If you want x to always be a requirement
                  then x must be placed in its own PRETYPE statement and y|z must be
                  placed in another PRETYPE statement, or make the statement look like
                  this PRETYPE:x,y|x,z

                  GldDragon35
                • Eddy Anthony
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 29, 2003
                    Ahh, clarity
                    The issue here is that pipe characters can be used on stand alone PRETYPE
                    statements that prereq a whole line but when attached to BONUS tags a pipe
                    will not work
                    Once more for review:
                    Tag Name: PRETYPE:x,x|x

                    Variables Used (x): Alpha (A type name).
                    Variables Used (x): EQMODTYPE (A type name for an eqmod).
                    Variables Used (x): EQMODA (name for a specific eqmod).

                    What it does:

                    Make specific TYPES or EQMODs a prerequisite.
                    use a comma (,) delimiter to indicate AND
                    use a pipe (|) delimiter to indicate OR. Note: If you use this tag at the
                    end of a BONUS tag you cannot use the pipe (|) character.
                    Use the PREMULT tag in conjunction with this tag in that situation.
                    you can use conditionals - e.g. PRETYPE:.IF.TYPE=Armor.Shield.Weapon.THEN.
                    EQMODTYPE=MagicalEnhancement
                    .IF.TYPE= is the only condition currently supported for eqModifiers

                    Examples:

                    PRETYPE:Magic,Piercing|Slashing
                    Type must be magic AND piercing (OR slashing)

                    PRETYPE:EQMODTYPE="eqmodtype"
                    Use to test for any modifier with "eqmodtype" type.

                    PRETYPE:EQMOD="eqmodtype"
                    Use to test for a specific eqModifer.
                  • Eric Beaudoin
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 29, 2003
                      At 17:10 2003.10.29, Eddy Anthony wrote:
                      >Ahh, clarity
                      >The issue here is that pipe characters can be used on stand alone PRETYPE
                      >statements that prereq a whole line but when attached to BONUS tags a pipe
                      >will not work
                      >Once more for review:
                      >Tag Name: PRETYPE:x,x|x
                      >
                      >Variables Used (x): Alpha (A type name).
                      >Variables Used (x): EQMODTYPE (A type name for an eqmod).
                      >Variables Used (x): EQMODA (name for a specific eqmod).
                      >
                      >What it does:
                      >
                      >Make specific TYPES or EQMODs a prerequisite.
                      >use a comma (,) delimiter to indicate AND
                      >use a pipe (|) delimiter to indicate OR. Note: If you use this tag at the
                      >end of a BONUS tag you cannot use the pipe (|) character.
                      >Use the PREMULT tag in conjunction with this tag in that situation.
                      >you can use conditionals - e.g. PRETYPE:.IF.TYPE=Armor.Shield.Weapon.THEN.
                      >EQMODTYPE=MagicalEnhancement
                      >.IF.TYPE= is the only condition currently supported for eqModifiers

                      If PRETYPE was code like this, it is an error. The "|" should never ever be used with PRExxx tags. Also, the correct syntax for PRExxx tags should always be

                      Where <number> specify how many of the cases must be true.

                      So if you want to do a "or", you do

                      PRETYPE:1,type1,type2

                      If you want to do a "and", you do

                      PRETYPE:2,type1,type2

                      Yea, that's not the clearer/easier/<instert adjectif here> syntax but it is the syntax used for nearly all the of PRExx tags and it should NOT be changed one tag at a time. There is a need for a big reengeenring of the PRE tags and it will happen. Until then, we have to keep the existing standards.

                      Best

                      Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin (hiding in the trench)
                      >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                      >> I know Tir's shameful secret!!!
                      <mailto:beaudoer@...>
                    • Eddy Anthony
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 29, 2003
                        Things are clear as mud now ;)
                        Thanks for everyone's input.
                        Third times a charm
                        Tag Name: PRETYPE:x,y,y

                        Variables Used (x): Number (The number of types that must match the
                        specified requirements).
                        Variables Used (y): Alpha (A type name).
                        Variables Used (y): EQMODTYPE (A type name for an eqmod).
                        Variables Used (y): EQMODA (name for a specific eqmod).

                        What it does:

                        Make specific TYPES or EQMODs a prerequisite.
                        you can use conditionals - e.g. PRETYPE:.IF.TYPE=Armor.Shield.Weapon.THEN.
                        EQMODTYPE=MagicalEnhancement
                        .IF.TYPE= is the only condition currently supported for eqModifiers

                        Examples:

                        PRETYPE:1,Magic,Piercing,Slashing
                        Type must be magic, piercing or slashing

                        PRETYPE:EQMODTYPE="eqmodtype"
                        Use to test for any modifier with "eqmodtype" type.

                        PRETYPE:EQMOD="eqmodtype"
                        Use to test for a specific eqModifer.
                      • Jayme Cox
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 29, 2003
                          Eddy Anthony wrote:

                          > Examples:
                          >
                          > PRETYPE:1,Magic,Piercing,Slashing
                          > Type must be magic or piercing or slashing

                          Latest autobuild now supports the above syntax
                        • taluroniscandar
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 30, 2003
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...> wrote:
                            > At 17:10 2003.10.29, Eddy Anthony wrote:
                            > >Ahh, clarity
                            > >The issue here is that pipe characters can be used on stand alone
                            PRETYPE
                            > >statements that prereq a whole line but when attached to BONUS tags
                            a pipe
                            > >will not work
                            > >Once more for review:
                            > >____________________________________________________________________
                            > >Tag Name: PRETYPE:x,x|x
                            > >
                            > >Variables Used (x): Alpha (A type name).
                            > >Variables Used (x): EQMODTYPE (A type name for an eqmod).
                            > >Variables Used (x): EQMODA (name for a specific eqmod).
                            > >
                            > >What it does:
                            > >
                            > >Make specific TYPES or EQMODs a prerequisite.
                            > >use a comma (,) delimiter to indicate AND
                            > >use a pipe (|) delimiter to indicate OR. Note: If you use this tag
                            at the
                            > >end of a BONUS tag you cannot use the pipe (|) character.
                            > >Use the PREMULT tag in conjunction with this tag in that situation.
                            > >you can use conditionals - e.g.
                            PRETYPE:.IF.TYPE=Armor.Shield.Weapon.THEN.
                            > >EQMODTYPE=MagicalEnhancement
                            > >.IF.TYPE= is the only condition currently supported for eqModifiers
                            >
                            > If PRETYPE was code like this, it is an error. The "|" should never
                            ever be used with PRExxx tags. Also, the correct syntax for PRExxx
                            tags should always be

                            A note: this syntax has been used in the equipmod files since their
                            creation and is still in use in the srdequipmodsmagic.lst file. See Keen.
                          • taluroniscandar
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 30, 2003
                              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "glddragon35" <glddragon35@n...> wrote:
                              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...> wrote:
                              > > Barak wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > Oh no... It goes anywhere any other PRE can go.
                              > > >
                              > > > Barak
                              > > > ~PCGen BoD
                              > > > ~OS Silverback
                              > >
                              > > OK then, that clears up that.
                              > > Submitted for review:
                              > > Tag Name: PRETYPE:x,x
                              > >
                              > > Variables Used (x): Text (A type name).
                              > > Variables Used (x): EQMODTYPE (A type name for an eqmod).
                              > > Variables Used (x): EQMODA (name for a specific eqmod).
                              > >
                              > > What it does:
                              > >
                              > > Make specific TYPES or EQMODs a prerequisite.
                              > > use a comma (,) delimiter to indicate AND
                              > > you can use conditionals - e.g.
                              > >
                              > PRETYPE:.IF.TYPE=Armor.Shield.Weapon.THEN.EQMODTYPE=MagicalEnhancement
                              > > .IF.TYPE= is the only condition currently supported for eqModifiers
                              > >
                              > > Examples:
                              > >
                              > > PRETYPE:Magic,Piercing
                              > > Type must be magic AND piercing
                              > >
                              > > PRETYPE:EQMODTYPE="eqmodtype"
                              > > Use to test for any modifier with "eqmodtype" type.
                              > >
                              > > PRETYPE:EQMOD="eqmodtype"
                              > > Use to test for a specific eqModifer.
                              >
                              > Pipe (|) does work for OR, but x,y|z will return true if x,y is met
                              > and also if just z is met... If you want x to always be a requirement
                              > then x must be placed in its own PRETYPE statement and y|z must be
                              > placed in another PRETYPE statement, or make the statement look like
                              > this PRETYPE:x,y|x,z

                              It also works if you reverse it and only have a few conditions, ie
                              y|z,x works. Because the program processes the statement from left to
                              right. This is how the Keen special ability is currently coded.
                            • taluroniscandar
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 30, 2003
                                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Jayme Cox <jayme@r...> wrote:
                                > Eddy Anthony wrote:
                                >
                                > > Examples:
                                > >
                                > > PRETYPE:1,Magic,Piercing,Slashing
                                > > Type must be magic or piercing or slashing
                                >
                                > Latest autobuild now supports the above syntax

                                If the old syntax (PRETYPE:x|y,Z) is no longer supported then
                                srdequipmodsmagic.lst needs to be updated. Just sayin'...
                              • Eddy Anthony
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 30, 2003
                                  He's right, there are 2 weapon mods Keen & Brilliant Energy that use this
                                  syntax. So what shall it be? Can we say pipes are OK just don't use them at
                                  the end of a bonus or will it be NO MORE WIRE HANGERS EVER!

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 30, 2003
                                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "taluroniscandar" <mhgj@e...> wrote:
                                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Jayme Cox <jayme@r...> wrote:
                                    > > Eddy Anthony wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > Examples:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > PRETYPE:1,Magic,Piercing,Slashing
                                    > > > Type must be magic or piercing or slashing
                                    > >
                                    > > Latest autobuild now supports the above syntax

                                    Um, I just realised, this isn't correct.

                                    The required PRETYPE is not 'magic or piercing or slashing'.
                                    It is 'magic AND piercing or slashing'.

                                    The above syntax will not work as desired.

                                    Unless you put two PRETYPE statements. Can the equipment customiser
                                    process two PRETYPE statments properly?
                                  • Eddy Anthony
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 30, 2003

                                      >>> Latest autobuild now supports the above syntax
                                      >>
                                      > Um, I just realised, this isn't correct.

                                      > The required PRETYPE is not 'magic or piercing or slashing'.
                                      > It is 'magic AND piercing or slashing'.
                                      >
                                      > The above syntax will not work as desired.

                                      The example above is incorrect as used in the eqipmods file but by itself
                                      there is nothing wrong with it. I'll make a note to myself to use only
                                      examples that can also be found in the files so as not to confuse folks.

                                      > Unless you put two PRETYPE statements. Can the equipment customiser
                                      > process two PRETYPE statments properly?

                                      Would this work:

                                      PREMULT:2,[PRETYPE:1,Magic],[PRETYPE:1,Piercing,Slashing]

                                      --
                                      Eddy
                                      PCGen Doc Gibbon
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 30, 2003
                                        Having seen oodles of these sorts of problems previously... is there a way
                                        we can standardize delimiters such that one delimiter is parsed as "AND",
                                        and another is parsed as "OR"... say, comma for "AND" and Pipe for "OR" (or
                                        vice versa, I dont know code, just logic) and allow for parentheses in
                                        PREXXX tags.... thus, possibly obviating the need for PREMULT...

                                        example, from below...

                                        PREMULT:2,[PRETYPE:1,Magic], [PRETYPE:1,Piercing,Slashing]

                                        becomes PRETYPE:Magic,(Piercing|Slashing)

                                        Translation : PRETYPE1, Magic and either Piercing or Slashing

                                        Heck, we could even do away with delimiters all together and flat out use
                                        .AND. and .OR.
                                        Hence:
                                        PRETYPE:Magic.AND.(Piercing.OR.Slashing)

                                        (yes, it takes extra keystrokes, but even the densest list monkey can
                                        understand what it means.

                                        Ed (no not that Ed)

                                        > > Um, I just realised, this isn't correct.
                                        >
                                        > > The required PRETYPE is not 'magic or piercing or slashing'.
                                        > > It is 'magic AND piercing or slashing'.
                                        > >
                                        > > The above syntax will not work as desired.
                                        >
                                        > The example above is incorrect as used in the eqipmods file but by itself
                                        > there is nothing wrong with it. I'll make a note to myself to use only
                                        > examples that can also be found in the files so as not to confuse folks.
                                        >
                                        > > Unless you put two PRETYPE statements. Can the equipment customiser
                                        > > process two PRETYPE statments properly?
                                        >
                                        > Would this work:
                                        >
                                        > PREMULT:2,[PRETYPE:1,Magic],[PRETYPE:1,Piercing,Slashing]
                                        >
                                        > --
                                        > Eddy
                                        > PCGen Doc Gibbon

                                        > PCGen's FAQ:

                                      • Jayme Cox
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 30, 2003
                                          > Unless you put two PRETYPE statements. Can the equipment customiser
                                          > process two PRETYPE statements properly?

                                          Yes, multiple PRETYPE statements are allowed in a line. See the Alchemical
                                          Silver entries for an example.

                                          The old syntax (evile '|') is still parsed in PRETYPE: tags and will be until
                                          some crazy CM takes the old code out of the PObject.java file.

                                          So, DOCS need to be updated to reflect the new syntax (PRETYPE:#,blah,blah) and
                                          the fact that you can use multiple PRETYPE: tags per line. You might also want
                                          to mention you can do things like:

                                          !PRETYPE:#,foo,bar

                                          Which does exactly what you think it does!
                                        • taluroniscandar
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 30, 2003

                                            > Yes, multiple PRETYPE statements are allowed in a line. See the
                                            Alchemical
                                            > Silver entries for an example.

                                            Fully Alchemical Silver entry has Double spelled Doouble in the
                                            PRETYPE tag.
                                          • Eric Beaudoin
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 30, 2003
                                              At 10:51 2003.10.30, Eddy Anthony wrote:

                                              >> Um, I just realised, this isn't correct.
                                              >
                                              >> The required PRETYPE is not 'magic or piercing or slashing'.
                                              >> It is 'magic AND piercing or slashing'.
                                              >>
                                              >> The above syntax will not work as desired.
                                              >
                                              >The example above is incorrect as used in the eqipmods file but by itself
                                              >there is nothing wrong with it. I'll make a note to myself to use only
                                              >examples that can also be found in the files so as not to confuse folks.
                                              >
                                              >> Unless you put two PRETYPE statements. Can the equipment customiser
                                              >> process two PRETYPE statments properly?
                                              >
                                              >Would this work:
                                              >
                                              >PREMULT:2,[PRETYPE:1,Magic],[PRETYPE:1,Piercing,Slashing]

                                              The above example is good for BONUS tags. If you can always put multiple PRE tags on the same line (when not in BONUS) and the result is a logical and.

                                              PRETYPE:1,Magic PRETYPE:1,Piercing,Slashing

                                              Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin (hiding in the trench)
                                              >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                                              >> I know Tir's shameful secret!!!
                                              <mailto:beaudoer@...>
                                            • Eric Beaudoin
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Oct 30, 2003
                                                At 11:43 2003.10.30, Ed Beckwith wrote:
                                                >Having seen oodles of these sorts of problems previously... is there a way
                                                >we can standardize delimiters such that one delimiter is parsed as "AND",
                                                >and another is parsed as "OR"... say, comma for "AND" and Pipe for "OR" (or
                                                >vice versa, I dont know code, just logic) and allow for parentheses in
                                                >PREXXX tags.... thus, possibly obviating the need for PREMULT...
                                                >
                                                >example, from below...
                                                >
                                                >PREMULT:2,[PRETYPE:1,Magic], [PRETYPE:1,Piercing,Slashing]
                                                >
                                                >becomes PRETYPE:Magic,(Piercing|Slashing)
                                                >
                                                >Translation : PRETYPE1, Magic and either Piercing or Slashing
                                                >
                                                >Heck, we could even do away with delimiters all together and flat out use
                                                >.AND. and .OR.
                                                >Hence:
                                                >PRETYPE:Magic.AND.(Piercing.OR.Slashing)
                                                >
                                                >(yes, it takes extra keystrokes, but even the densest list monkey can
                                                >understand what it means.

                                                Like I said previously, yes, we do need to rethink and reengeneer the PRExxx tags. When we do it (and we will), we will start from the ground up and address a multitude of issues that we have today. What we don't want is to add yet another plaster on an already sorry state of affair.

                                                The PRExxx tags have by far overgrown their original intend. Time to start fresh. This is a big change though and I lot of thinking needs to be put into it so expect a mid-term change rather than a short-term one. I have already quite a few notes on the subject and I think we will be able to introduce the new syntax while keeping the existing one operational (for backward compatibility). Stay tune.

                                                Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin (hiding in the trench)
                                                >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                                                >> I know Tir's shameful secret!!!
                                                <mailto:beaudoer@...>
                                              • Eddy Anthony
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Oct 30, 2003
                                                  OK I think this may be the final cut here.
                                                  Submitted for review.

                                                  -Eddy Anthony
                                                  -PCGen Doc Gibbon
                                                  Tag Name: PRETYPE:x,y,y

                                                  Variables Used (x): Number
                                                  (The number of types that must match the specified requirements).
                                                  Variables Used (y): Alpha (A type name).
                                                  Variables Used (y): EQMODTYPE (A type name for an eqmod).
                                                  Variables Used (y): EQMODA (name for a specific eqmod).

                                                  What it does:

                                                  Make specific TYPES or EQMODs a prerequisite.
                                                  You can use multiple PRETYPE tags in a line. Use the PREMULT tag to affix
                                                  multiple statements to a BONUS tag.
                                                  you can use conditionals - e.g. PRETYPE:.IF.TYPE=Armor.Shield.Weapon.THEN.
                                                  EQMODTYPE=MagicalEnhancement
                                                  .IF.TYPE= is the only condition currently supported for eqModifiers

                                                  Examples:

                                                  PRETYPE:1,Magic <tab> PRETYPE:1,Piercing,Slashing
                                                  Type must be magic and piercing or slashing

                                                  PREMULT:2,[PRETYPE:1,Magic],[PRETYPE:1,Piercing,Slashing]
                                                  This example, utilizing the PREMULT tag, accomplishes the same thing
                                                  as the example above it but as it is one statement it can be attached to a
                                                  BONUS statement.

                                                  !PRETYPE:1,Heavy
                                                  Type must NOT be Heavy

                                                  PRETYPE:EQMODTYPE="eqmodtype"
                                                  Use to test for any modifier with "eqmodtype" type.

                                                  PRETYPE:EQMOD="eqmodtype"
                                                  Use to test for a specific eqModifer.
                                                • dlm1065
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Nov 1, 2003
                                                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...> wrote:
                                                    At 17:10 2003.10.29, Eddy Anthony wrote:
                                                    Eddy:Ahh, clarity
                                                    Eddy:The issue here is that pipe characters can be used on stand
                                                    alone PRETYPE
                                                    Eddy:statements that prereq a whole line but when attached to BONUS
                                                    tags a pipe
                                                    Eddy:will not work
                                                    Eddy:Once more for review:
                                                    Eddy:________________________________________________________________
                                                    ____
                                                    Eddy:Tag Name: PRETYPE:x,x|x
                                                    Eddy:
                                                    Eddy:Variables Used (x): Alpha (A type name).
                                                    Eddy:Variables Used (x): EQMODTYPE (A type name for an eqmod).
                                                    Eddy:Variables Used (x): EQMODA (name for a specific eqmod).
                                                    Eddy:
                                                    Eddy:What it does:
                                                    Eddy:
                                                    Eddy:Make specific TYPES or EQMODs a prerequisite.
                                                    Eddy:use a comma (,) delimiter to indicate AND
                                                    Eddy:use a pipe (|) delimiter to indicate OR. Note: If you use this
                                                    tag at the
                                                    Eddy:end of a BONUS tag you cannot use the pipe (|) character.
                                                    Eddy:Use the PREMULT tag in conjunction with this tag in that
                                                    situation.
                                                    Eddy:you can use conditionals - e.g.
                                                    PRETYPE:.IF.TYPE=Armor.Shield.Weapon.THEN.
                                                    Eddy:EQMODTYPE=MagicalEnhancement
                                                    Eddy:.IF.TYPE= is the only condition currently supported for
                                                    eqModifiers

                                                    Eric:
                                                    Eric:If PRETYPE was code like this, it is an error. The "|" should
                                                    never ever be
                                                    Eric:used with PRExxx tags. Also, the correct syntax for PRExxx tags
                                                    should always be
                                                    Eric:
                                                    Eric:
                                                    Eric:Where <number> specify how many of the cases must be true.
                                                    Eric:
                                                    Eric:So if you want to do a "or", you do
                                                    Eric:
                                                    Eric:PRETYPE:1,type1,type2
                                                    Eric:
                                                    Eric:If you want to do a "and", you do
                                                    Eric:
                                                    Eric:PRETYPE:2,type1,type2
                                                    Eric:
                                                    Eric:Yea, that's not the clearer/easier/<instert adjectif here>
                                                    syntax but it is the
                                                    Eric:syntax used for nearly all the of PRExx tags and it should NOT
                                                    be changed one tag
                                                    Eric:at a time. There is a need for a big reengeenring of the PRE
                                                    tags and it will
                                                    Eric:happen. Until then, we have to keep the existing standards.

                                                    Actually it is possible to or a PRETYPE without using the .IF. and I
                                                    actually think it is
                                                    slightly more readable too. You simply use the PREMULT TAG.

                                                    PREMULT:1,[PRETYPE:type1],[PRETYPE:type2],[PRETYPE:type3,type4]

                                                    so the condition is met is it is type1 or type2, or type3 and type4.
                                                  • dlm1065
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Nov 1, 2003
                                                      Tir assigned me the eqmod and equipment syntax. Eqmod is having some
                                                      chnges applied please wait to update this. Email me of list for more
                                                      detail. One thing that will be going from all syntax is the .IF.
                                                      this is old and obsolete and is extremely confusing to people. At
                                                      some time in the furture we are hoping to drop it entirely.

                                                      dlm1065@...
                                                      lst chimp