RE: [pcgen] Thoughts about OGL material

  • Mynex WOW
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 24, 2003
      Okay... Talked to AEG and WotC about this... WotC doesn't know offhand about
      how intertwined and what/if any problems there could be, so for now I'll let
      em be until it's sorted out a bit more...

      I spoke to Ray Lowe (Sp?) Who's the Line manager for L5R and he's not
      familiar with PCGen or CMP, so I gave him a brief explanation, and he's
      going to talk to Ken Carpenter for more info, the president John Zinser and
      possibly Patrick "Spycraft" Kapera for more info on his end and get back to
      me...

      The general overview (I own most of L5R, just haven't read it) is that L5R
      lays on top of the OA base set... kind of like FR where everything ties back
      into FRCS... That's how I understand it working, so if I'm wrong, please
      correct me...

      Given my assumption about the mechanics, it would need to be that the sets
      would have to be designed around the OA set... meaning anything that was OA
      specific could _not_ be in the L5R sets in any form. That complicates
      things tremendously... In short, it would _require_ someone to buy the OA
      set from CMP just to be able to use the L5R sets correctly. While I'm not
      opposed to making money, I'm not comfortable requiring people to buy stuff
      from us to use the free sets. I mean, there's no SRD for OA to draw from...
      *sigh*

      So I guess at this point, for the PCGen end of things, the question comes
      down to, what are people's thought about this and do you want do it? Anyone
      have any alternate ideas on how we could get this done?

      W. Robert Reed III
      Mynex
      - #1 Evil Monkey
      - Code Monkey Publishing Co-Founder
      - El Mono Calvo Malvado

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 24, 2003
        > from us to use the free sets. I mean, there's no SRD for OA to draw
        from...
        > *sigh*
        >
        > So I guess at this point, for the PCGen end of things, the question comes
        > down to, what are people's thought about this and do you want do it?
        Anyone
        > have any alternate ideas on how we could get this done?

        I thought that OA, or portions thereof, was one of the candidate works for
        inclusion in a future SRD?
      • Mynex WOW
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 24, 2003
          Could be, I don't honestly know or remember. If it is, cool... then all
          that needs doing is wait for it to be released in the SRD/RSRD or whatever
          form it'll be in.

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 24, 2003
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ross" <ross.lodge@e...> wrote:
            > > It just goes for AU as far as I've seen. Everything else that he's
            > > done is welcome in PCGen. May just have to do with how this is pretty
            > > much a whole manual, or has too much PI, or something. *shrug*
            >
            > My understanding of the AU licensing is that much of the product is
            OGL *except* all original or capitalized names of races, classes,
            abilities, feats, spells, etc. So I guess you could make and
            distribute data sets that used *different* names for everthing that
            was declared PI, but that would make the sets basically useless
            because they wouldn't match anything in the books.

            > Ross

            Could be that's the licensing. I'm always confused with this whole OGL
            thing. Luckily we have Monkeys that handle all that sort of stuff. ;)

            -Ian
            LST Chimp
          • Mark Perneta
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 24, 2003
              At 01:32 PM 10/24/2003 -0400, Mynex WOW wrote:
              >I spoke to Ray Lowe (Sp?)

              Ray Lau, as I recall.

              >So I guess at this point, for the PCGen end of things, the question comes
              >down to, what are people's thought about this and do you want do it? Anyone
              >have any alternate ideas on how we could get this done?

              Well, personally I have no real problem with data sets that rely
              on OA. I had to buy the OA hardcover to be able to make ANY sense of all
              the Rokugan material, after all. I know that there will be a faction that
              will complain about this, though.
              Hmmm, I wonder if it would be possible to play a Rokugan game
              withOUT OA? Just using the SRD? Data set wise, the Rokugan Campaign
              Setting (RCS, from here on) book has variants on the Samurai and Shugenja
              base classes, as well as several other base classes. The problem you'd run
              into is all those Feats, none of which are repeated in the RCS.
              Ugh, a check of the Open Content declaration shows that all "new
              classes" in Chapter 1 are OGC. So, would classes that are printed complete
              but have as part of the header "Adapted from Oriental Adventures" be
              "new"? Probably not. Now I know why I'm not a lawyer.

              Mark.

              --
              The twentieth century was one in which limits on state power were
              removed in order to let the intellectuals run with the ball, and they