Equipment Lists

  • dkekish@ameritech.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 4, 2001
      Pardon me for asking if a) its already done and I haven't found it or
      b) its been asked before but...

      Is there a way to print the equipment list, not a players but the
      entire thing. It would be great to have one source for all available
      equipment, esp when the players want to buy things/Initial purchase.

      That aside, I wanted to say that the program is great.

      Thanks
      Dave Kekish
    • Rayston n. Orphan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 4, 2001
        --- In pcgen@y..., dkekish@a... wrote:
        > Pardon me for asking if a) its already done and I haven't found it
        or
        > b) its been asked before but...
        >
        > Is there a way to print the equipment list, not a players but the
        > entire thing. It would be great to have one source for all
        available
        > equipment, esp when the players want to buy things/Initial purchase.
        >
        > That aside, I wanted to say that the program is great.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Dave Kekish

        not that I know of, but that is an excellent idea!!!

        Would also be usefull for Skills, Spells, Feats, Classes, etc. etc.

        That way all the work people put into making the .lst files could
        sort of serve doubleduty

        1. the obvious utility they have for PCgen

        2. the side effect of a convenient way to have at least a relatively
        up to date list of every feat/skill/spell etc. available in all of
        the myriad d20 products out there.
      • Brass Tilde
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 4, 2001

          As appealing as the idea is, I suspect that some would view that as a
          copyright issue. After all, if you can have a product such as PCGen print
          out all the stuff for you, what do you need the book for?

          Brass

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 4, 2001
            Hm. Maybe if we forced such a list to include the source from which
            it was taken. I believe the SRD makes all this information available
            already, so I don't think we'd really be breaking new ground here.
            Besides, a list of feats wouldn't do you much good unless you had all
            the details on what it did - same with the spells, and that isn't
            provided in PCGen, so you'd still have to get the book to have all
            the details necessary for actual play.

            -Bryan

            --- In pcgen@y..., "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@y...> wrote:
> [...]
          • Rayston n. Orphan
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 4, 2001
              The descriptions mainly I would think? and most of that is covered
              under OGL anyways, for example they have the PHB equipment list
              freely available at http://www.opengamingfoundation.com for download,
              as well as all the magic items in the DMG and such.

              Its not really usefull to know that their is a magic item called

              The Ghostly Gauntlet of Ethereal Power +2 1/2

              and not know what the hell it does? right? even if pcgen does
              whatever stat alterations necessary for you its still pretty much
              necessary to have the book it came from for description and such

              for example Bag of Holding is listed currently in PCgen, but knowing
              it exists doesnt tell me precisely what it does?

              same goes for the majority of items, Theives tools, CLimbers kit,
              etc. etc.

            • Yosemite Sam
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 4, 2001
                If a list like this is made, I think it would be very useful to list the
                source with the item so one could look it up.
                > The descriptions mainly I would think? and most of that is covered
                > under OGL anyways, for example they have the PHB equipment list
                > freely available at http://www.opengamingfoundation.com for download,
                > as well as all the magic items in the DMG and such.
                >
                > Its not really usefull to know that their is a magic item called
                >
                > The Ghostly Gauntlet of Ethereal Power +2 1/2
                >
                > and not know what the hell it does? right? even if pcgen does
                > whatever stat alterations necessary for you its still pretty much
                > necessary to have the book it came from for description and such
                >
                > for example Bag of Holding is listed currently in PCgen, but knowing
                > it exists doesnt tell me precisely what it does?
                >
                > same goes for the majority of items, Theives tools, CLimbers kit,
                > etc. etc.

              • Charlie
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 4, 2001
                  I might request that if such a list or document is indeed  made, I would love to get a link or have it sent to me.

                • john.sussenberger@libertymutual.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 5, 2001
                    Just be careful about non OGL stuff, which is what the problem would
                    be with.

                    You also MUST include the OGL/d20 license with the print out.

                    I would stongly suggest against this sort of thing being "officially"
                    supported by PCGen. Unofficially maybe.

                    Someone put out some really cool spellcards on the web, using the
                    text from the SRD and was shut down almost immediately. I did not
                    notice any OGL/d20 license and I think that was part of the problem.

                  • dkekish@ameritech.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 5, 2001
                      Wow, i opened a big can of worms didn't I? My whole idea is the
                      item name "Holy Avenger", a cost if there is one, and some quick
                      stats. ie +5 medium etc... and the source page, link, etc that it
                      came from.

                      It won't have to have everything listed, most of the players alreay
                      know most of the interesting things. My purpose in asking was in 2
                      weeks, I'm starting a SW20 campaign. 6 people will be creating
                      characters at once and I'm the only one with the core book so far.
                      even the core book misses out on some great stuff posted elsewhere.

                      Waiting for someone to finish with the book can be time consuming. I
                      could make photo copies but that again raise that copyright
                      involvment.
                    • john.sussenberger@libertymutual.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 5, 2001
                        That might be a little easier to handle, although I am believe that WOTC would disapprove and they would most likely threaten a lawsuit if the description of the item was more than "casual".

                        As for an index, that may be a good thing.  We could have the source and page numbers extracted from the LST files.

                        It is a good idea, one that I even thought of :) but the problems that could arise concern me.

                        The same can be said for any d20 material, especially PCGen's use of PI (Product Identity), although bundling the LST files separately does relieve some of that problem and most of the people making d20 stuff want the extra publicity.

                        Although, I could be wrong :)

                        -John-

                      • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 5, 2001
                          Considering the number of feature requests and other things going on,
                          I doubt this can be done in 2 weeks. :)
                          This is something maybe an experienced awk/grep script writer could
                          do with little trouble - of course, that would only help our unix-
                          based users....

                          -Bryan