Monster Class Skills thingy - Gencon suite codemonkeys

  • Emily Smirle
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
      At one point, the gencon suite codemonkeys went bannanas working on the
      monster class skills issue, resulting in a new tag.

      This tag was not added to the documentation. Does anyone recall what it
      was called, and how to use it? Or if it was even completed?

      The issue was that monsters with racial hit dice have class skills
      defined for those racial hit dice that vary from race to race, rather
      than from type to type (ie Hill Giant Vs Troll, rather than Dragon vs
      Giant). We're currently using the CSKILL tag, which makes *ALL* classes
      the monster takes have the racial skills in class, where it's properly
      only the racial hit dice that should have it in class.

      Someone invented a tag which I think we were calling MSKILL at the time,
      only valid in race files.

      Does that help anyone?
      --
      Emily Smirle

      Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
    • Barak
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
        That sounds right Em.. I think it never got done though. The code made
        the Kiwi's eyes cross and it was abandoned at that point. Not sure if
        anyone else jumped on it and finished it or not... Maybe browse SF (I'd
        check the docs FREQs first).

        While we're talking about monsters, got a question for everyone...

        I'm assuming that the skill bonuses shown in the MM are the numbers
        *after* all their equipment (for those that have it) has been equipped
        (taking into account weight modifers)? The MM Doesn't say one way or
        another, although by leaving any reference to equipment out of the
        "Skills" explanation at the front of the book I suppose it could be
        argued that those numbers are without equipment equipped.

        Which way do you guys think it should be? Or is there a ruling about it
        somewhere that I;ve overlooked?

        Barak
        ~PCGen BoD
        ~OS Silverback

      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
          It is MONCSKILL (and MONCCSKILL), and the SRD monsters were recently
          converted to taht new format. Ian is now working on the rest of the
          repository... :)

          Felipe did the actual coding a week or so later. All that happened in the
          suite was Karianna realized what a plate of spagetti the code that is PCGen
          is.

          Tir Gwaith
          PCGen Data SB and BoD
        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
            > I'm assuming that the skill bonuses shown in the MM are the numbers
            > *after* all their equipment (for those that have it) has been equipped
            > (taking into account weight modifers)? The MM Doesn't say one way or
            > another, although by leaving any reference to equipment out of the
            > "Skills" explanation at the front of the book I suppose it could be
            > argued that those numbers are without equipment equipped.

            I actually did calculations on the Hobgoblin I think it was. Everything is
            calculated with the armor and weapons included in the calculations.
            Apparently Monsters don't need backpacks or bags to hold their extra wealth
            in battle.

            Tir Gwaith
            PCGen Data SB and BoD
          • Barak
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003

              There must be a special mnster only spell for that kind of stuff. :p

              Thanks for the clarification.

              I thought about doing the math, but it made my head hurt just thinking
              about doing it, and I start the new temporary job waaaaay too early
              tomorrow morning.

              Barak
              ~PCGen BoD
              ~OS Silverback
            • Beowulfe Odhinnsson
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
                > I actually did calculations on the Hobgoblin I think it was.
                Everything is
                > calculated with the armor and weapons included in the calculations.
                > Apparently Monsters don't need backpacks or bags to hold their
                extra wealth
                > in battle.

                My gaming group joke about the "Invisible Backpack" factor in CRPGs
                so much that we've implemented them as standard [house rules] items
                in our games....