Bug? Multihanded creatures and double-weapons

  • Emily Smirle
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
      To reproduce:

      Put Default Monster Mode On for speed of testing, but happens in either
      mode.
      Load the 3.0 SRD.
      Create a new character.
      Set all stats to 10.
      Pick an alignment (NE or CE work well enough)
      Select Xill as race.
      Pick some hitpoints.

      Go to the Gear tab and buy two quarterstaves.

      Go to the Equipping tab.
      Equip one quarterstaff to "Both Hands".
      Try to equip the other quarterstaff to "Both Hands". Note the error.
      Xills have 4 hands, and can therefore equip two double weapons at once.
      However, PCGen is not allowing this.

      I have also tried equipping them as "Double Weapon", and as a
      combination of the two (one double, other two hands).

      Now go back to the Gear tab and buy four clubs.

      Unequip all weapons.
      Equip the clubs, one in each hand. Note this works.

      Unequip the two clubs in Primary Hand and Secondary Hand, leaving clubs
      equipped in Secondary Hand 2 and Secondary Hand 3.

      Equip a quarterstaff in Both Hands. Note it works. It also works as a
      Double weapon.

      Unequip all weapons.
      Equip one club in the primary hand, leaving the other three hands empty.

      Try to equip Quarterstaff as Both Hands or Double Weapon. Note failure.

      Even if I add Multidexterity and Multiweapon Fighting as feats to the
      Xill, it can't equip a quarterstaff at all if a club is held in the
      primary hand.

      --
      Emily Smirle

      Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
    • Barak
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
        Yeah, looks like the program should handle that more gracefully.

        Totally irrelevant, but I'm going to say it anyway: While you should be
        able to do it by the rules, I can tell you if I was DMing that'd be
        right out. Maybe if their arms were arranged differently... but as is,
        I'd rule that there's no way they could use two double weapons without
        them interfering with each other. :)

        Barak
        ~PCGen BoD
        ~OS Silverback

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
          Barak wrote:
          > Yeah, looks like the program should handle that more gracefully.
          >
          > Totally irrelevant, but I'm going to say it anyway: While you should be
          > able to do it by the rules, I can tell you if I was DMing that'd be
          > right out. Maybe if their arms were arranged differently... but as is,
          > I'd rule that there's no way they could use two double weapons without
          > them interfering with each other. :)

          Depends on the arrangement of the arms on the torso, and the double
          weapon in question. if it's got whippy bits on it, no way for sure.

          The thri-kreen explicitly use pairs of their double-ended
          trident-thingies (Exotic double weapon) - which is what prompted my
          discovery of this particular bug.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
            Barak wrote:
            > Yeah, looks like the program should handle that more gracefully.
            >
            > Totally irrelevant, but I'm going to say it anyway: While you should be
            > able to do it by the rules, I can tell you if I was DMing that'd be
            > right out. Maybe if their arms were arranged differently... but as is,
            > I'd rule that there's no way they could use two double weapons without
            > them interfering with each other. :)

            Adding a little more to the debate, technically the Xill in 3.0 and 3.5
            is able to use two longbows at once. PCGen doesn't allow for this, so
            it's not just double weapons, but *two handed* weapons in general that
            are apparently checking for "One primary hand, and one secondary hand".